Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Reven

So do you think the Goblins will get anything cool in 2008?

I was really a little let down when the took away the Shortfangs, Worn Bait and other archer clan. Maybe they'll get them back.

I've always envisioned goblins as a spear toting little race. Jabbing and prodding to get a little distance between them and their opponant. Also gobbos are pretty fast and having a first strike model seems appropriate.

I would like to see a First Strike Gobbo Spearman and Captain. They could be modeled after Robin Redcap and the Redcaps.

From Wiki

"Redcaps are said to murder travelers who stray into their homes and dye their hats with their victims' blood (from which they get their name). Indeed, redcaps must kill regularly, for if the blood staining their hats dries out, they die. Redcaps are very fast in spite of the heavy iron pikes they wield and the iron-shod boots they wear. Outrunning the buck-toothed little daemons is quite impossible."

Redcaps

Affiliation: Reven/Evil Points: 21

Model: Grunt

Base: Standard

Dmg 0 1

Mov 6 5

Dis 5 4

DV 8 6

MD 9 7

MAV 5 3

#MA 2

S.A.: First Strike, Reach

I would also like to see some hobgoblins. Slightly buffer than a gobbo but still smaller than a lesser orc, but a better stats than an orc warrior.

Hobgoblin

Affiliation: Reven/Evil Points: 25

Model: Adept

Base: Standard

Dmg 0 1

Mov 7 6

Dis 5 4

DV 9 7

MD 9 7

S.A.: Deflect/1, Tough 1

MAV 5 4

#MA 3

Warmaster

I doubt goblins will ever see a spear wielding model, mostly because of their 'Goblin Horde' ability raising support bonus' to +5, my feeling is that this was given to the goblins to combat their lack of reach models. Turning around and giving them a reach model now might start to make them too cost effective.

The only way I could see it happening is if such a model were an adept, the stats you present for your Red Cap are alright, but I would rather see it have #MA: 1, and possibly just a single damage track, too keep more in line with the flavor of the other Goblins and to keep them clearly different than the Orcs.

I'm hoping we see the clans return in some form in the future as well, but rather than specific clans, I'd like to see such models simply be Elite forces (adepts), allowing them to be combined in any manner one sees fit, rather than there being animosity between clans that prevents them from working together.

I guess because Neek, Gonda, and Skralla and Skeeters all have two tracks, I don't think goblins need to die every time they are hit. I don't think two attacks is too much either, Rangers have 2 attacks. I understand the support bonus, but come on... is a goblin with a combined cap of 8 that devastating?

Ork warriors are about as crappy as a soldier gets, if one attacks with maximum buddies and maximum spears he is hitting at 10. A goblin warrior with max support and 3 spears is hitting 11. They would be as good as the worst in the game support wise

When they attack any of the big Warlords, Monsters or solos that have MA 5, you are pretty much losing 10 goblins per atviation... they kill five, you attack and lose five. And in cases like hydras, dragons, Judas, Uru and the like, odds are only one of those goblins will roll the natural ten needed to wound. Granted goblins do have the hill giant, my point is even with spears they are still chumpy little goblins.

I'd like to see the clans as adepts also, but wouldn't mind the animosity thing if they were grunts and you could have multiple troops of them.

I'm not real happy about the Orc Warriors myself, coming in at 18 points, and being of poorer quality than Merc Warriors of the same price peeves me. I'm sorry, but Orcs are supposed to be nasty in my mind. I wouldn't want to see them drastically changed, but they need a tweak to make them a little more desirable in my mind, #MAV: 2 while keeping them otherwise the same (obviously a points increase would be needed) would float my boat. Either that or give them a third damage track instead, keeping their #MA: 1. As it stands Orc Warriors and Orc Spearmen have no staying power, and they have no punching power, they are essentially 2 track goblins, which is why we don't need 2 track goblins in the game right now, because they would make the Orcs redundant.

I'm not real happy about the Orc Warriors myself, coming in at 18 points, and being of poorer quality than Merc Warriors of the same price peeves me. I'm sorry, but Orcs are supposed to be nasty in my mind. I wouldn't want to see them drastically changed, but they need a tweak to make them a little more desirable in my mind, #MAV: 2 while keeping them otherwise the same (obviously a points increase would be needed) would float my boat. Either that or give them a third damage track instead, keeping their #MA: 1. As it stands Orc Warriors and Orc Spearmen have no staying power, and they have no punching power, they are essentially 2 track goblins, which is why we don't need 2 track goblins in the game right now, because they would make the Orcs redundant.

I agree orcs are two track goblins, but until they can be taken in a goblin list I'll keep lobbying for spears and better goblins.

I'm surprised no one has commented on all the stuff reven got in 2008. Tenacious is a great ability and really makes the default list more appealing. And getting ettins, gnolls, and bugbears doesn't hurt. Although the goblins didn't get a spear, Skralla did get her bullet back and they at least got the clans back and without the previous limitations.

I have a question that more relates to the Reven history more than to the stats. Most Reven units are Neutral, not evil. But their goals do sound a little evil to me. Why exactly are they neutral then?

Also, do you get the goblin/bull orc faction abilities only if you only field them?

I have a question that more relates to the Reven history more than to the stats. Most Reven units are Neutral, not evil. But their goals do sound a little evil to me. Why exactly are they neutral then?

Reven goals were take back land they were driven from, which is not necessarily evil, since they considered it their land. Any 'evil' they are perpetrating in their mind is not evil. It's vengence for what the humans did to them. The humans committed evil against the orcs. Committing wholesale slaughter and driving them from their land. Their response is only right and proper.

Plus, it also makes for 3 evil, 3 neutral, 3 good original core factions (plus mercs, who had a bit of everything).

Goblins and Yagun Oog were evil, Orcs were Neutral. Looks like the Buggers and Gnolls are also evil now.

Also, do you get the goblin/bull orc faction abilities only if you only field them?

Only if you field the Noghra (Goblin) sublist with the associated models or the Tomukh (Bull Orc) sublist with the associated models.

A default army uses the default Faction special abilities, even if there happens to be goblins or bull orcs in that list.