Reaper "Must Haves"?

Thor

From scouring the internet over the past couple of months I know that for different paint lines there are some paints that are a "must have", such as Vallejo Smoke and Taimya Smoke. Are there any "must haves" for Reaper? Sounds like the Brown Liner and Blue Liner so far. Anything else?

I just have a basic selection of Reaper Master Series Paints (from the Reaper How to Paint Kits #1-4) so any "must have triads" can be included as well, since I will likely be placing a paint order relatively soon!

Thanks!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest saving your money. Wait. Be patient. Then strike out and buy the big sets. I haven't even experimented with all of'em and every one has been great to work with. I keep "discovering" more as I use some for the first time that may not have gotten used. I'm diggin' the metallics, old and new.

The triad with Shadowed Steel has been basically used for a whole Dwarf (Wolf Clan) army for Chronopia. The orange triad for another army. For Warlord I've been delving into ALL the purples from Nightshade on for my cultists and Darkspawn. The Aged Pewter and the Brass are the metallics I'm presently using for them.

When you boil it all off, if every paint is good, you may as well buy'em all. They keep very well with the drop tops, so even if you don't use something right away, shake, and squeeze at your leisure. They can be watered down, mixed, used with flow improvers, and if you're lazy like me, they're not bad straight from the bottle with just some drops of water to thin it. Remarkably good stuff.

I think that a good part will depend on what you are painting.

For example, if you are painting quite a few people, then various skin triads will be helpful. If you're painting orcs, then the Olive Greens triad.

Some colors that I use frequently include:

• liners (which you already have on the list)
  • Walnut Brown
  • Oiled Leather
  • Ruddy Leather
  • several gray triads :-)
  • Polished Bone
  • Linen White
  • Ghost White
  • Leather White
  • Leather Brown
  • Clotted Red
  • Carnage Red
  • Antique Gold
  • Honed Steel

Ron

This thread might help you out. People are saying what are their favorite colors in any paint line.

Personally I have pretty much every RMS triad and find that I use some of them all the time and some of them hardly any of the time. But I like the option and I have the space.

It all depends on what you're painting. That will point you to colors you just have to get.

Something I do is hop over to the Show Off section.

I find paint ups that I really like and inquire (if someone hasn't already) what colors were used.

This way, I know the result I'm after (and I know I like it), I've got an idea already how I'm planning on using it, and I can slowly build up my collection.

I admit, it's a bit spotty, but I'm all over the boards with the paints I use anyways ::): .

Thanks

AWhang

I actually disagree with Josh. You should get triads as you go and slowly amass a collection. That's what I've been doing. I started painting with the pro paints actually and as I'm running out of those I replace them with the MSP colors. The colors I use most are Walnut, Pure Black, Pure White, Rainy Grey, Honed Steel, Sunlight Yellow, Leaf Green, Midnight Blue, I still don't have the liners yet.

I too would recommend not diving in and buying a big kit. Build it up as you need it. I don't go any where with out the liners and I always have the rosy skin and golden skin triad on my desk (I mix them together for my skin tones in most cases), linen white, the ivory triad and, of course, black and white.

While I have most of the MSP line, I also recommend some moderation in buying. Really, you won't need most of the paints for quite some time, and you probably will never use some of the paints.

So, pick up a block of important triads now (which it sound like you're trying to do), and pick up the rest as you find that you need them.

Ron

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. As to Ron's comment, he hit the nail on the head. I am trying to get some of the more commonly used triads. In the near term I will be painting: Orcs/Goblins, Weapons + Armor + Human Skin, and Rat's/Rat Men. I think Mousekiller was using the Humanoid Triad for his Goblins and the Tanned Skin Triad seems to be popular. Any that would be great for Weapons + Armor + Rat's/Rat Men?

Thx!

If you like green skinned orcs and goblins, I recommend the Olive Greens triad (that's what I use for my orcs and goblins).

For armor and weapons, if you go metallic, then the Silver Metallics triad and/or the Natural Steel triad. If you are going NMM style, I've found that Brown Liner Magic Wash followed by Blue Liner Magic Wash over white primer plus highlighting with Misty Gray+Icy Gray works really well (you'll probably also want Ghost White and Pure White (which you should already have).

I really like the Warm Deep Triads (wood + ground colors), the Red Browns Triad (mostly for glazing, but also for clothing), the Burnt Colors triad (for leather), and the Classic Brown triads (Walnut Brown is my commonly used "Black" and for fur) the Cool Browns (wood).

For fur colors, I use the Classic Brown triads and the Red Brown triads.

My ground colors are either Leather Brown base => Brown Liner Magic Wash => Leather Brown dry brush => Amber Gold dry brush *OR* Stone Gray => Brown Liner Magic Wash => Stone Gray dry brush => Weathered Stone dry brush. For the "ground" surface, I use a mix of different sizes of model railroad ballast.

The Bloodthirsty Reds are my most commonly used reds (goes well with the Olive Greens), though you may want to pick up the Anti Shine additive.

Ron

While I have most of the MSP line, I also recommend some moderation in buying. Really, you won't need most of the paints for quite some time, and you probably will never use some of the paints.

So, pick up a block of important triads now (which it sound like you're trying to do), and pick up the rest as you find that you need them.

Ron

Don't forget your base coat for the metals. How you do it depends on how much time you want to spend layering. Mix 3 drops water, 3 drops gloss varnish (Vallejo is great but Plaid will do), one drop of DARK metallic and one drop of ink. For silver/pewter, use Adimantine Black and Black Ink. For gold/bronze, use one drop Scortched Metal and one drop brown ink.

There will be very little metal flake in this mix, but that's fine. Put a coat or two of this on the metallic areas and allow to dry.

If you want to be really over the top, gradually mix lighter metallics into your original color and layer up just as you would for any layered technique. If you are in more of a hurry, just drybrush from dark to light (such as Blackened Steel to True Silver.) Your metals will look far, far better than they would if you just glopped undiluted metallic paint down.

My FLGS told me the other day that the Fire triad (9004, 9005, 9006) and the Royal Purples triad (9022, 9023, 9024) are by far their best sellers.

I also highly recommend the Tanned Skin triad - it was the first flesh triad I bought, and it's still the one I use most.

I would also like to add that you should look at what minis interest you the most, and what your preferred colours for those things are.

My paint kit is currently a selection of greyed blues, lots of greens, purples, a few different flesh tones, browns, reds, silver metallics, and black, white and grey. But I paint mostly elves and pirates, so those are the colours I use all the time.

also, don't be afraid to buy a triad (or a single paint, I just tend to buy the triads myself) that catches your attention.

I bought the above mentioned fire triad for a single project, and I've used it many times since.

I also fell in love with the Spring Greens triad (9145, 9146, 9147, very bright sLime greens), and have only used it once, but I loved the results, and am looking for opportunities to use it again.

I think that my pesonal must have 20 paints for a basic paint kit that would cover a wide range of mini styles would be:

Pure Black and Pure White

The basics: Blood Red, Fire Orange, Sun Yellow, Grass Green, True Blue, Imperial Purple.

Browns: Earth Brown, Muddy Brown, Tanned Leather

Metallics: Honed Steel, Antique Gold

Flesh Tones: Tanned Skin, Fair Skin, Dark Skin

Additional colours: Snow Shadow, Twilight Blue, Golden Blond, Brown Liner, Olive Drab, Rainy Grey (to save on your black & white)

• Reaper User

I am currently engaged in painting some of my boyfriend's Skaven, and I'm using Tanned Skin for their fleshy areas (mixed with Pure White for highlights). ::): Their fur varies but for brownish tan ones I start with Uniform Brown and add Linen White to it for highlights. For warmer, deeper brown I start with a mix of Earth Brown and Russet Brown and then add Chestnut Gold to that (and a bit of Linen White toward the end) for highlights.

Really, rats can be a whole bunch of colors, and any greys or browns will do you pretty well. ::):

--Anne