Missing Out on RC '07...

Remy Soujirou

It's official. Due to financial constraints, I simply can't afford to attend RC '07. *sigh* I don't know what to say other than I'm very, very sad as I was looking forward to it so much. RC '06 was my first Reaper Con (incidentally, the first Con in about 15 years or so), and I absolutely loved it. For me, it was all about having the opportunity to meet, learn from, and simply hang out with others that not only shared a genuine love for this hobby of ours, but were among the top talents in the field. Granted, I've never been to a Gencon Indy, but I'd easily choose RC over it even if I had to travel overseas simply because of its unique focus on mini-painting/sculpting.

I'm sure most won't even remember my name from last year, so it's not as though you'll be missing out on anything with my absense. I know for certain that I'll miss seeing you all again, though. It makes it that much more painful seeing these updates that Marike's attending and teaching classes as well -- easily one of my all-time favorite mini-painters. *sigh* But enough feeling sorry for myself. I just came here to share the bad news with you all and to restate how much I'll miss RC. I hope everyone that attends has one helluva time. Take care, guys.

Remy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I remember you! I sat next to you in at least one class. And that's all the hint you're going to get. :poke:

Sorry to hear you can't make it this year. Hopefully fate will smile on you next year (instead of the bodily function it seems to be doing this year) and you can make it to the center of all Reaper goodness.

Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, you're not alone. IIRC, there are usually a few hundred attendees at ReaperCon...? With over 3300 Forum members, I'd guesstimate there are a couple of thousand who would like to be there, but can't / won't this year. For those of us in the latter group, the non-attendees, there are 3 unofficial, online, challenge-style events that might interest you. There is a friendly competitive one, plus one each for Warlord and CAV groups. It's not too late, so join in and have some fun!

Also, if GenCon is possible for you, I'd encourage you to try for it. I can tell you from personal experience it's a blast, and a lot of ReaperCon attendees will be there, too.

It's okay, and you will be missed.

We missed the first ReaperCon because of the birth of my son. I was due after ReaperCon, but my doctor wouldn't let me go. Thomas was born early, though.

The second year, we got to go! Yay!

Last year we had to miss out. Finances and ReaperCon timing (my son's birthday) forbade it. If ReaperCon is held too early in May, I just can't make it. My son comes first.

This year, we're going, so while we're excited about it, we do understand completely how you feel about missing it. Get online, do the paint contests, and keep checking. We're taking our laptop and digital camera, so we're hoping to update as the days progress.

Yep, Remy, I remember you from last year. It was my first ReaperCon and I was so looking forward to coming again this year, but well, with things the way they are, it's just not possible this year. Next year..can we both work towards next year?! Until then, all of us unfortunates can commiserate and pretend how fantastic it is to be at ReaperCon.

Right there with you Remy. . .being new to the hobby, I've not been to anything in the past. . I'm looking forward to going one of these days. . Till then, I'm anxiously waiting on all the reports to come in. Ary. . Can't wait to see the pics. .

It's great to see some familiar faces. I appreciate the replies, everyone. Thanks. Although I was working hard on a particular entry for RC, I'll do my best to represent Reaper at Kublacon in a few weeks with this entry. Granted, it's the Single Fantasy category which had Marike, Derek and Laszlo placing 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively last year. So yeah, I have no delusions of placing, but what the hell. What can ya do, right? :upside: At least it'll be one more Reaper mini in the contest.

Once again, thank you for the replies and kind words. I really am going to miss you guys. And damn you all for getting such cool RC SWAG this year. ::P:

• Reaper User
I echo Monsieur Remy's sentiments about not being able to go. Will we non-attendees be able to for example get pdf's for some of the workshops? I am willing to pay a few bucks for some distilled wisdom (or whimsy).

Awww, Remy, I was even going to promote you to Official Marike-Stalker because our current Painter-Stalker can't make it this year! :lol: But seriously, we will miss you, and hope you can make it next year. ::):

Actually, because I ask such an awful lot of my painter-friends during the course of the Con, I do not ask that they have hand-outs for their classes. If they wish to provide them, that is entirely optional on their part. The words and images contained within those handouts are the property of the painter and not owned in any part by Reaper Miniatures, so if you would find them anywhere online it would be on the painter's own website. Though, in my experience, the handouts are one of the incentives to attend the classes, so most painters only make them available through attending their classes at Gen Con, Origins, or small cons like ReaperCon. ::):

Just thought I would clarify for those of you not familiar with the odd world of mini-painter customs, habits, and business practices!

--Anne :lol:

Just thought I would clarify for those of you not familiar with the odd world of mini-painter customs, habits, and business practices!

--Anne :lol:

See, now I've got this image in my head of a wildlife documentary type show following a mini-painter through their life with Anne doing the voice-over. ::):