LOS

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this is goofy.

If a piece of string can be laid from the top of the head of one model to the top of the head of another without the string coming into contact with anything, things in motion like spears, swords shields etc. being the exception, then there's no reason that LOS shouldn't exist. The ground leve/eye-level/corridor thing is unnecesary and confusing. Besides, any two jackholes should be able to squat down and look using their models head as a front sight post and figure out wether the models can see each other. If they can't, maybe they should go back to playing HALO. :wacko:

In my own opinion, the new LOS rules are fine for terrain, but the older LOS rules worked better where models were concerned. The fact that models represent animate beings should make the shot difficult to impossible. A model of the same size base should provide +2 cover to any model behind it. By the same token, an Ogre should get +1 cover when hiding behind a standard=based Orc. Otherwise the sculpt of the mini will eventually become the source of cheesery.

I don't beleive the line of site rules should take the model's sculpt into acount. The krung beast for example is a giant base yet it's "eye level" is lower than most standard sized bases. Long story short LOS should be taken based on base sizes.

I'm going to proxy an entire army of familiars, using solely melee based Models. That way, I can hide behind everything, and I don't have to worry about my opponents being able to shoot me with magic or Ranged attacks until I get there. Since I am going to be all Melee, I don't need to worry about having LOS to my opponent :devil:

I'm going to call it: The Peanut Gallery

I'm actually a big fan of the revised LOS rules.

There was something wrong with the old ones, like it or not, when it takes pages... upon pages of errata to thoroughly explain the rules, there is something wrong.

I also like not being forced to classify all the terrain on the board before play... slap it down and go to town now.

--

As for model to model. At first it's a bit strange to take in because of the variance in size and scale of models on the board, but it will move like clock work after a few games.

The key thing to remember is that it's fairly easy for a model to get LOS using the eye-to-eye rules. It is also easy for those models that see each other to have cover.

The base-to-base LOS rule is really on there for the instances of when a models lower half is the only true visible portion. It will be used rarely, and you will know when you HAVE to use it.

--

As for players that are going to try to Munchkin the rules... I don't see it happening. IF it does, then refuse to play with that person until they have models that are closer to resembling the actual model. Or only play if the player agrees to imagine the model was normal sized.

Just last night I played against 4 hill giants(1 giant, 1 mossbeard, 1 blank base, 1 treasure pile). It was cake to work through the LOS rules. Even for the treasure pile we could easily say, "his head/upper body will be right around here, so I do/don't have LOS"

As for model to model. At first it's a bit strange to take in because of the variance in size and scale of models on the board, but it will move like clock work after a few games.

The key thing to remember is that it's fairly easy for a model to get LOS using the eye-to-eye rules. It is also easy for those models that see each other to have cover.

I don't think the LOS rules are difficult to use, because I can just look at the minis and tell immediately that it if it has LOS.

What I don't like is that I can't hide a mage behind other units. It's basically impossible, so the mage always gets shot, and even with cover it almost always gets hit. That sucks.

PS

What I don't like is that I can't hide a mage behind other units. It's basically impossible, so the mage always gets shot, and even with cover it almost always gets hit. That sucks.

PS

What???? People die in combat???? :blink:

PS

What???? People die in combat???? :blink:

Yeah, I hear it happens from time to time :rolleyes:

These LOS rules make it very hard to use formations to your benefit versus ranged models. How often did we place mages and etc behind warriors or whatever? Nope, can't do that anymore. So what's the point of positioning your models in any particular order? Why don't we just get shovels and toss our models from their current position to a position 5 inches forward when they move?

The new LOS rules remove the entire aspect of placement of models from the game. For the most part it really doesn't matter where in your pile of models any specific one is (as far as ranged combat and spells go of course). I think that's a bad thing.

To be completely honest, the guys I play with most often don't read the rules too carefully, and I haven't even told them about the LOS changes. We play with it the way it used to be because we never had a problem with it but I see lots of problems with this new LOS method.

You guys know that with one exception I've never slammed anything Reaper has done with the game - but this is time two I guess. Reaper had a Mighty Casey At Bat moment with LOS. We can list off a handful of quick, easy to understand, practical LOS methods, posted on these very boards and submitted to Reaper during beta, that would have worked.

*shrug* I'll play in 3, 4 tournaments, tops, between now and Chronicles 08. Every other game will be a friendly, in-house deal. I'm going to keep using the old LOS and I'm not going to get upset about it. Maybe the local tournament group will dislike the LOS rules enough to go with the old ones for the tournaments, and then I'll be extra happy.

*shrug* I'll play in 3, 4 tournaments, tops, between now and Chronicles 08. Every other game will be a friendly, in-house deal. I'm going to keep using the old LOS and I'm not going to get upset about it. Maybe the local tournament group will dislike the LOS rules enough to go with the old ones for the tournaments, and then I'll be extra happy.

The Grand Prix will be using First Printing LOS rules.

PS

The new LOS rules remove the entire aspect of placement of models from the game. For the most part it really doesn't matter where in your pile of models any specific one is (as far as ranged combat and spells go of course). I think that's a bad thing.

Placement to protect Models is still possible, now you just need two ranks of Models to provide protection.

Line of Warriors.

Line of Spearmen staggered between the seams of the Warriors.

Then your Mage.

In my larger troops, I've been able to protect my Mage from direct fire. I just sort of forgot about the Indirect Fire bits. <_<

The missile/LOS nonsense has been the biggest turnoff coming from other games. Warlord has no fire priority for missile troops. You're tellin' me that a squad of archers can ignore the berserk troops comin' straight at'em and shoot the mage hiding in the back as long as you've got LOS? This is one aspect of the game that turns Warlord into a game where you cherry pick your targets and model placement doesn't amount to much. What's the point of fodder? I understand some heroes having (from Chronopia) "Eagle Eye" allowing them to do that, but when every model has this option, it gets stale quickly. The whole indirect shot thing has been stuck in my craw for some time too. Are they arrows or mortar rounds?

The Grand Prix will be using First Printing LOS rules.

Now THAT's good news! I am extra happy, as I promised ::D:

Placement to protect Models is still possible, now you just need two ranks of Models to provide protection.

Line of Warriors.

Line of Spearmen staggered between the seams of the Warriors.

Then your Mage.

... which is not something I'll be able to do much with a Captain's troop. I really could only block, at most, 90% of the field of fire. I'll do it if I have to, but not when it's perfectly reasonable to hide the mage behind a warrior with a completely massive shield. Plus, think about the few Sgts that have elite slots. Now it's extra hard to hide a mage in that troop.