Defensive Magic

In looking over the new stats for the mercs, I noticed that Corm, Lupine Cleric has the Defensive Magic SA. The problem with this is when I looked at the new cleric spell list none of those spells can be cast defensively. I guess my question is, will there be be cleric spells that can be cast defensively released at a later date?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 13 Models with Cleric X/Y and Defensive Magic although there are now no longer any Cleric spells which can be cast Defensively. Dispell was able to be cast Defensively in some of the previous playtest versions, including the Open Beta, which all 13 Models would have been able to cast.

I can't begin to imagine that they gave the SA to that many Models without some sort of intent to make use of the SA in the future. Call it forward compatability for future Journals.

Clerics have really gotten neutered in this latest rendition. The lost of the +2 CP for friendly models and the lackluster CP's in most cases means that the clerics are staying home far more often then they used to. They can also only upgrade their CP +1 in comparision to Mages being able to take the Greater Familiar and go +2 CP. The game has really swung in favor of Mages over Clerics by a fairly large margin over what it used to be.

All clerics gained healer however, making them fairly useful in that capacity. Clerics only got neutered from the perspective that they lost the friendly CP +2 bonus, they made some serious gains in other ways, very notably the fact that the best clerics now rival some of the best mages in casting power. CP 7 and 8 clerics simply didn't exist previously (Ok, CP 7 did, but there weren't many). You can't have both, meaning you can't keep the +2 CP for friendlies and have many clerics pushing the CP 7-8 area, simply because in conjunction, with the addition of spells that heal multiple tracks, clerics could very quickly become unbalanced.

CP 6 if my general minimum that I'll field a caster at, giving them a pretty decent chance to cast (and usually at least a 50/50 even on their last track). Augment such clerics with cheapon 5-10 point spells. Divine Vigor and BLess are both very useful. Combine that with Healer, and I'm much happier about clerics in general to tell you the truth.