Cleaning Mould Lines + Flash: Your Preferred Tool?

Thor

Hi,

I use needle files, mainly because I've read some of your painful experiences and I'm alway's wary of slicing myself. What are your preferred tools for cleaning minis and why? Should I start using the X-Acto's and for what?

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use an Xacto for mold lines that rise above the sculpt evenly on both sides. Use a fresh blade and go slow and I don't think you'll need worry about cutting yourself. For the line that results from one side of the sculpt being higher than the other, I follow the advice that someone else posted in a similar thread: use a needle file (I like the round tapered ones for curves and flats for flats), start on the higher side and file in one direction toward the lower side.

• Reaper User

Xacto (Scalpel blade) for all mold lines and flash. I tend to like a duller blade because it won't gauge the metal as badly. If it does leave obvious marks, I go back in with my diamond files and polish out any "bad" texture. ::): For really lousy mold lines in places even the scalpel blade won't go and files are awkward, I fill with greenstuff or other sculpting putty and smooth with the knife afterwards as necessary.

--Anne ::):

1. Scalpel or xacto (about 3 bucks at art store for handle and some blades)

2. Steel and diamond files (6-12 bucks)

3. Wet sand paper - finest grit (1 sheet for 80 cents)

One sheet of the black/charcoal gray fine grit sand paper lasts a long time because I cut a quarter inch strip and roll it into a pointy tube. The pointy tube is flexible enough to get in crevices and can be reinforced with a tooth pick or bamboo skewer when rigidity is required. Gotta keep it wet to get a smooth surface.

The pointy tube is the least likely to wreck detail, as it will shred if you get too enthusiastic.

P.S. Construction of the "pointy tube" will be familiar to people who play with paper straw wrappers at diners.

1. Scalpel or xacto (about 3 bucks at art store for handle and some blades)

2. Steel and diamond files (6-12 bucks)

3. Wet sand paper - finest grit (1 sheet for 80 cents)

Silky smooth mini that paint just begs to flow over...priceless ::D:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Thanks

AWhang