temperature at reaper HQ?

Jubilee

Casting area has a separate thermostat IIRC... however all previous "wear layers" advice is good. Weather.com shows rain on Wed & Sunday... Accuweather on Thurs. & Sunday... well, chances of rain. Usually 3 day weather forecasts are pretty accurate, outside of 5 days, nevermind...

Okee,

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just trying to decide what to pack. Do I need pants and long sleeves to survive indoor activities?

I spent the day in the building yesterday. I found I was wishing for my long sleeves while on the floor (production floor) however while upstairs, I was perfectly comfortable. Others around me (locals) were commenting it was too hot upstairs. My personal suggestion is to bring a <insert name of favorite long sleeved item here>. I'm taking one in with me today when I go back.

With last year's RC being my first, I can say that the overall temperature inside Reaper HQ was cool. FWIW, I wore pants and short- to long-sleeve shirts while I was there and was fine for the most part. The large open areas would get pretty cool at times, but nothing that a jacket wouldn't fix. Layers are your friend. :poke:

Yeah, I should've taken my own advice when I went to Kublacon a couple weeks after RC '06. I spend all of Saturday volunteering at the Paint 'n Take table knowing all too well I really should be finishing my painting entry. Did I say finish? I meant get past the halfway mark. Man, that was a hard lesson to learn. ^_^ Anyway, right before the café and carts close up, I stock up on some Coke and a ton o' Mountain Dew as I prepare to embark on my insane mission. I setup my painting station in a huge convention room for a ~12-hour painting marathon. Too bad the RC '06 t-shirt I was sportin' didn't come in long-sleeve let alone a heavy cotton hoody. Hell, even my pants weren't nearly warm enough after a while. I actually got some newspaper to sit on and place on my lap. Don't laugh. It's a great insulator in a pinch (although not much in the end). ::P:

Inbetween deciding on color schemes, techniques (many of which were new) and taking the leap of faith and applying the paint, I took some breaks to walk around every couple of hours. The first break I took is when I found the newspaper. The second, the convention room's thermostat. I upped that puppy from ~60° to 80°, and ten minutes later to 85°. Yeah, that did a lot. A couple of hours later I was still freezin' my [email protected]# off. The mind-over-body battle wasn't workin' either. I could tell myself that I was warm and comfy all I want... the goosebumps on my arms and tremblin' hands couldn't hide the truth. For about the last 6 hours, I had to use my hair dryer to warm my arms up... about 30 seconds per arm. 10% of the time the hair dryer was used for its original purpose -- to speed up the drying time of washes and glazes... and well, even basecoats since I was using VMC. Vinyl-based paint loves to skin if it doesn't dry completely. That was another "fun" leason to learn. ^^; The other 90% of the time...? Yep. Warming up my arms and hands.

So, what's the moral of the above story? Bring layers of clothing with you to a convention! Oh, and don't wait until the last minute to finish an entry.

:poke:

Remy

dredging up an old, but on topic, thread.

After a week of mid 80s and high (for me) humidity, it's nice to be back in Colorado. When my plane took off from DFW tonight, the temperature in Colorado Springs was 36 with rain showers. When I got to my house, it was a mixture of rain and snow. And it still felt less humid than Texas. The next week of low 70s is going to be so very nice.

Maybe it's because I'm a freak of nature and I'm always cold (yes even out here in the desert I can get cold when it's 75 outside!) I always carry a jacket or sweatshirt with me. Gen Con Indy you will want pants on, a sweatshirt incase and I recommend closed toed shoes so your little piggies don't freeze off. Certain areas in RHQ were a bit chilly. The artist area upstairs was a decent temperature as long as we had the fan running but downstairs in the main hall was COLD!

On Wednesday, I arrived in a short sleeved polo and shorts, and quickly went to my car to get jeans and my cardigan. For the first day or so, I kept on switching between wearing and not wearing the cardigan.

I wished that I had the cardigan at GenCon Indy last year: for the first day, the painting class room was frigid! The temperature was warmer the following days, but the first day was cold enough that, by the last class of the day, I was so cold that I left a bit early so that I could go hunt for a long sleeved shirt in the mall. I'm afraid that I may have offended Derek a bit since it was his class, but, hopefully, he's forgotten all about it. ::):

Ron

• Artists

I guess I run pretty hot, because I don't think I ever found it too cold at ReaperCon, though I did end up in some pretty windy locations from time to time. There was at least one instance when I remember finding it pretty warm. I did leave a sweater and a pair of socks in the care just in case. I'm usually pretty comfortable with the GenCon temps, too.