trolls

Are trolls available in Reven builds? I noticed in that the Rage Chronicles and Data cards are contradicting each other.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are trolls available in Reven builds? I noticed in that the Rage Chronicles and Data cards are contradicting each other.

I believe that trolls are still available to the Reven, but only in the Bull Orc sublist from the Reven handbook.

Anthony

What's the contradiction?

PS

The document says Uru is a Reven Captain and trolls are adepts for the bulls, but doesn't mention Braug or Gurm being in any list.

The cards do not show Uru to be a captain, but do list Braug/Ogre grunt and Gurm.

I would like to take both Uru and the trolls ,and Gurm and the Ogres. My gut feeling is the new revision did not change them from their former status. Which means Reven gets everything but Uru.

Default Reven: No trolls, clearly indicated by Any Model of Reven Affiliation, which includes Braug and Gurm

Tomukh List: Following models only... Uru and River Trolls. No Ogres.

I think it's fairly straight forward.

Uru is a Captain of the Reptus, but ina specific Reven sublist, he can also be fielded with the Reven. River Trolls have always run with Tomukh. The only difference is now the boss gets to come along as well.

The only significant change is that Ogres are no longer a part of the tomukh list, but with all the trolls, that's not really much of an issue, and frankly would be tantamount to overkill.

What's the contradiction?

PS

The document says Uru is a Reven Captain and trolls are adepts for the bulls, but doesn't mention Braug or Gurm being in any list.

That's not what it says. It says Uru and the trolls may be part of a Bull Orc list. It doesn't say they are Reven.

The cards do not show Uru to be a captain, but do list Braug/Ogre grunt and Gurm.

Uru is listed as a captain, in the Reptus lists. Braug and Gurm are in the Reven cards because they're Reven.

I would like to take both Uru and the trolls ,and Gurm and the Ogres.

I bet you would! <_<

My gut feeling is the new revision did not change them from their former status. Which means Reven gets everything but Uru.

I think you can't have both because then you would never take a Bull Orc in the Bull Orc list. After a couple troops full of Ogres and Trolls, you'll hit the 2000 point, and get to field another troop full of Ogres and Trolls.

And nothing presented is a contradiction. It's just not the way you want it.

PS

Default Reven: No trolls, clearly indicated by Any Model of Reven Affiliation, which includes Braug and Gurm

Tomukh List: Following models only... Uru and River Trolls. No Ogres.

I think it's fairly straight forward.

Uru is a Captain of the Reptus, but ina specific Reven sublist, he can also be fielded with the Reven. River Trolls have always run with Tomukh. The only difference is now the boss gets to come along as well.

The only significant change is that Ogres are no longer a part of the tomukh list, but with all the trolls, that's not really much of an issue, and frankly would be tantamount to overkill.

Thanks. I don't think it is an issue either. I was just trying to build a bull list and wanted confirmation on ogres, and trolls because in the previous rules they were always in my normal list.

I have to disagree it would be overkill to have both because the sublist only has one big solo, the rhino thing, so a little extra muscle by taking Ogres wouldn't really be overkill when you consider all the other sublists-except goblins- have at least four monster types.

I just wanted to make sure you were looking at the correct information.

Please make sure you are looking at the new 2007 datacards and RAGE Chronicles, as the rulebook cards and info is no longer valid. Nor is the faction book either.

And nothing presented is a contradiction. It's just not the way you want it.

PS

No, I was confused by the Ogres not being listed on either sub-list... considering just about everything but lesser orks is in one or the other, and the Ogres were the only thing other than Dantral that was removed from either, so the information looked contradictory.

I hadn't noticed that I said I wanted it any particular way. I said it would be nice to have them all, which is true. I said I thought the status quo was probably the same as the last edition, and disagreed that having both was overkill.

As for what I wanted? I personally would never field more than the smallest allowable troop of either. In the past I generally fielded two trolls, Gurm and Braug in large 1500 point games. In smaller games I generally fielded two that had Warmaster. Big models get ganged up on too easily. I have four trolls and not one made it into my bull list tonight. I usually use big models as sacrifice in order to draw the enemy where I want them. So, whether I use Ogres or Trolls is not that important to me. The rule could have gone either way and it wouldn't have mattered to me. I just wanted to know what was official.

No, I was confused by the Ogres not being listed on either sub-list... considering just about everything but lesser orks is in one or the other, and the Ogres were the only thing other than Dantral that was removed from either, so the information looked contradictory.

I find it especially appealing that Ogres are now only in the Great Reven list, it gives the Great Reven list that much more flavour that it was previously lacking.

I also think including a few Lesser Orcs in Gurm's troop would probably help, those Reven have very meagre discipline, and the Great Reven bonus' come in very handy (it's actually one of the reasons I really dislike the Tomoukh now, it sucks to fail discipline checks with some many fearsome models on the board, previously you only had to worry about Horrid and Empowered so it wasn't nearly as big a deal).