best way to apply static grass

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Wilhelm had this cute little puff bottle he used. Looked just like a bottle for applying talcum powder, but it had bigger holes in the top. He shook it up and puffed the grass onto the model. I kept thinking, "I gotta get me one of those." The grass stood up very nicely on the model.

The bottle was made specifically for applying static grass. My guess is you could get one on the internet or at a train/hobby shop.

There are also machines that will create a static charge through the grass so it stands up. That's a little over the top for me.

BTW, if you want the finished affect to be matte instead of glossy, use Matte Medium instead of glue to apply the flocking.

Also, try putting down flocking of a similar color first and let it dry. Then add the thinned white glue and static grass. The flocking gives a background and texture under the grass. I use thined white glue for my basing activities; its easier to clean up, and you can apply it with a brush without ruining the brush.

TS

I use white glue when I want stuff to fall off my base. If I want it to stick, I use superglue.

I put a drop of glue down, line up some pieces of grass, then use pick-ups (something like very long, thin tweezers) to grab a clump and shove it on. With the way I use the pickups the grass is already vertical by the time it hits the glue.

Holding the mini upside down for a couple of minutes while the glue dries can help.

Just an odd question.. .seeing as tomorrow will be the first time I ever use static grass.... do you apply it before or after the sealant?

I figured afterwards since spray sealers could knock the grass flat? But honestly I have no clue about the lil fake grass stuff..... I don;t want it to rot or mutate into some new odd form of life that I'd then have to slaughter in order to reclaim my mini's o__0 ((once bitten twice shy as they say....))

When in doubt, seal first, base second. ::D: I don't think it'll mutate at all. As for getting it to stand up? I've an easy solution for those of us with small, furry children that go 'Meow'. A balloon! Build a charge on the balloon by giving the cat a serious noogie with it and hold the balloon over the mini. The grass stands up (the excess gets sucked to the balloon depending on how good of a charge you built up) and you get to watch the cat spark for a bit while the glue dries.

I haven't touched the static grass stuff yet, I'm waiting for PTF to show up for a New England Paint Day and teach all of us poor New England folk some base-fu!

As for getting it to stand up? I've an easy solution for those of us with small, furry children that go 'Meow'. A balloon! Build a charge on the balloon by giving the cat a serious noogie with it and hold the balloon over the mini. The grass stands up (the excess gets sucked to the balloon depending on how good of a charge you built up) and you get to watch the cat spark for a bit while the glue dries.

I have a semi-feral cat who lives in my garage.... I really don;t think I could get away with that and keep my throat intact.

Although with how dignified she acts it might be worth it....

Just an odd question.. .seeing as tomorrow will be the first time I ever use static grass.... do you apply it before or after the sealant?

I seal first and then apply the static grass. My theory is that I don't want to accidentally get drops of very large dew (sealant) on my grass. If I'm using flock, I tend to flock first and then seal.

Ron

I figured afterwards since spray sealers could knock the grass flat? But honestly I have no clue about the lil fake grass stuff..... I don;t want it to rot or mutate into some new odd form of life that I'd then have to slaughter in order to reclaim my mini's o__0 ((once bitten twice shy as they say....))

Hey Mura! I actually seal the mini first once it's painted to protect the paint job. Then I base everything. Once the base is completely dry I do a light dusting of Testor's dullcote. Works wonders, the grass has never mutated nor has anything bad happened. The one mishap I have seen though it just looked like the grass had frost on it so it didn't look bad. But it's worked a ok for me to seal everything once the mini is completely done.