Problem with applying layers

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

Ah hah! How very timely to be discussing LTPK2, as that is what I'm re-writing as we speak! I'll be sure to talk more about transitions and mixing colors between layers and such. Thanks for the feedback! Learn to Paint Kit 2 is actually the first painting guide I had ever written, so I'm sure I'll be able to do a better job with more space, two extra paint colors and bigger pictures in the new version. ::):

--Anne ::):

Who wrote Kit 1?

Or was that after Kit #2?

I'm so confused. :poke:

So...

Are you going with the pots instead of bottles still? I'm guessing yes if it's two more colors.

I'm interested in checking out the new LTP kits, and I can probably overlook the pots. They're not so bad once I got used to them.

I guess one plus to the pots is that quality control and consistency will be easier. I had one bottle replaced by a totally different color (rose instead of brown), and then much later I also figured out that my "walnut brown" was actually black with the wrong label! (I thought it was awfully dark).

The kits were still awesome though, errors and all. Updated LTP kits will give me another crack at the techniques.

Who wrote Kit 1?

Or was that after Kit #2?

I'm so confused. :poke:

LTP kit 1 doesn't have a named author on the instruction sheet. LTP2 is credited, and was written by Anne.

(of course, I bought LTPK1&2 and over 3 years later, I still haven't followed the instructions, painted the figures (swordsman, rat, sorceress and monk) and learned how to paint)

• Reaper User

I have no idea who wrote LTPK1, it was before my time. ::):

All LTPK's are going to the LTPK4 (Intermediate Skintones) format, with the blister card, five whole bottles of MSP's and a sample strip of six more MSP's for accessory colors. Instead of numbering the kits, we will be assigning them a Basic, Intermediate, or Advanced designation. Thus, LTPK2 becomes Basic Skin and Cloth, and it teaches very basic highlighting and shading (via simple layering) on smooth surfaces. LTPK4 is Intermediate Skintones, in which the subject of skin is gone into with more detailed info on layering and which also teaches glazes and lining. The new re-works will get the bigger, poster-sized instruction sheet that LTPK3 and LTPK4 have. They will also be at the lower price of LTPK4 to reflect that we are giving you five and not nine full bottles of paint (the six-color accessory colors paint strip is free).

Anyhoo, back to work, time to take lots and lots of in-progress shots with the new camera!

--Anne ::):

Ok, so I have a few more Q's.

Will there still be a kit 1 (even if not called kit 1)? Or will Armor and Fur get separated (I noticed a long time back that Kit 5, Armor, was mentioned but has yet to appear)?

Will these kits use the same minis as existing kits, or new ones?

What happened to kit 3? It's not available anymore. Has it already been re-done and is just waiting release?

Finally, is there any kind of loose estimate of when these will be available?

I've been trying to get some friends to try the kits so they can paint their own and leave me alone. Lol. I like to test things out before I recommend them, though.

I'm looking forward to trying the new kits now that my aversion to the pots has faded. I got a lot of use, fun, and instruction out of the 4 kits already. You did a wonderful job explaining and illustrating, IMO.

• Reaper User

Lessee if I can tackle all those questions one at a time...

Nope, no "kit 1" "kit 2" etc. We are getting entirely away from that in favor of "Basic", "Intermediate", and "Advanced".

Basic kits will be the first kits that beginning painters should pick up. Each will cover two subjects (armor and fur, skin and cloth). They will teach basic techniques just like they do now (good basecoating, drybrushing, washes, and simple layering I consider beginning skills).

Intermediate and Advanced kits will be single-subject: Skintones, Armor, etc. They will go into that single subject in far more detail than the Basic set covered, and address techniques in more depth than just the basics.

For example, the second armor kit you are talking about is the Intermediate Armor kit. It addresses techniques which are more advanced than the drybrushing and washes covered in Basic Armor and Fur--it teaches demi-metallics, shading and highlighting your metallic paints, how to tint your metallic paints to alter their colors, etc. It also talks about using layering instead of drybrushing to highlight metallic paint. So right away you can see that the intermediate kit builds and expands on the first "Armor and Fur" kit.

Kits will use the same minis as they always have. We're not looking at a completely new product, but one which is tuned to be more accessible and a better teaching tool for people looking to enjoy the hobby, at a slightly more affordable price point.

Kit 3 is still in production as far as I know!

The new kits will be available as soon as we have the time and resources to put them out; no ETA yet. I only just finished writing and shooting the re-worked Basic Armor and Fur and am about halfway through Basic Skin and Cloth.

Thanks for the compliment! Though it's a lot of work, I am enjoying being able to re-write the earlier kits in order to make them better teaching tools. ::):

--Anne