Sign in to follow this  
Evilbob

I am so mad at PayPal

this is now the second time this has happened. And if I get another overdraft fee I'll scream!

Everytime I have ever made an order it has worked like this.

Paypal has $40 in the account, the order is for $60, it take the additional $20 from my savings account. And it would post right then, not wait for it to clear the bank.

Last time it just tried to take the full order ammount for $96 from my savings account. Which let me tell ya, wasn't there.

and it tried twice, so I got 2 $22 overdraft charges, plus the one for the $35 transfer to Paypal, because the 1st $22 charge ate the money that was in there so there wasn't $35 to transfer. so $66 total.

So today I decide to play it safe. I've taken care of my bank issues. I paid off the negative balance, and I transfered in $90 over and above to cover the order I knew I was going to make today of $76.01.

I have $48 in my account with paypal, and $90 with my bank. Should work right. No.

First they attempt to take the full ammount from my savings account. Which I was prepared for. And Now I find out that it has to wait until it clears my bank. Not today, but on the 22nd. Then the money will goto the folks that I'm trying to pay, and it will clear that order.

Here's the kicker. Who can tell me the days of RCon. You know those few precious days that the Sci-Fi Sophie is availiable. Guess what, it ends before the 22nd. which is when my money will apparently clear my bank. I'm so torked right now.

So I call PayPal, and he tells me I have to call the person I'm trying to pay and have them cancel the order. Because I can just go get my husbands Credit Card, come home buy it and call it good, but I don't really want to pay for it twice. So to cancel the one I'm trying to do, PayPAl can't do it, I can't do it, My bank can't do it. I have to call Kit. Who I am guessing is up to his eyeballs in "busy with the Con" right now and ask him to cancel it. I just don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

One of the many reasons I refuse to use PayPal anymore, besides their severe lack of security.

Try calling Reaper and see if you can talk to Bryan or Jay. Hopefully they aren't too busy to help you out.

And then, I'd cancel PayPal and go get myself a prepaid card if there are any such things in your area. I know many check cashing places and grocery stores (and, I think, Wal-Mart) carries them. They are a MasterCard or Visa, but work like a debit card that isn't tied into your savings or checking account. Whatever amount you put on the card is what is available to you (minus the transaction fee), so if you put $90 on the card, and have a total of $76.01 transaction, your transaction is $77.01 (normally about $1.00 per transaction). If you don't have enough on the card, it simply fails. No overdraft, no monthly bill. You know exactly how much you have available.

And since it's not tied to your bank, you don't have to worry overmuch about security. Just put on the amount plus a little more that you think you'll need for a transaction and then use it. I never keep much of a balance on mine and only use it online. If someone steals the card information, they won't get much, and there's no credit check.

Just about all the banks have gift cards you can purchase that are Visa or Mastercards (depends on the company they use for debit cards, I guess) that you can buy for a small fee and are rechargable. They work exactly like a credit card, there's no PIN to remember, there's no fees to actually use them and any merchant that takes credit cards can process it just like a credit card (and for those merchants out there, the fees are the same as a regular credit card).

The kind from check cashing places or stores are a little trickier in that they charge usage fees. The kind from the bank, as far as I've seen don't have that kind of surcharge for use.

I hate to hear that about your experiences with PayPal. I have used them since the month they first opened up with no problems! :unsure:

Wild Bill :blues:

This probably won't make you feel any better, but I dropped them when I found out they kept my credit card on file. No one should do that. It was purposely difficult to find out HOW to drop them, so that pretty much revealed their attituide to me.

I can't fathom why anybody would give them direct access to personal bank accounts. They are notorious for abusing this, although they hopefully have gotten better since Ebay bought them.

Really, if it weren't for Ebay pushing them so much on their bidders, I doubt they'd be nearly as popular as they are. I'll still use them to pay for overseas purchases since it's much easier and cheaper than any other way and it's really just another credit card purchase (and you can have them delete your card information), but I do wish people would pay more attention to my auction terms.

It's very annoying to hear someone ask about paying with Paypal when your auction very clearly states you DON"T take Paypal.

What you have just described is why I still will not have another Paypal account ever again. I had one several years ago. The short of it was someone hacked the account, used the account to go into my bank account and stole $220 from me. Paypal wouldn't do anything to help me except suspend half the activities I was allowed to do on my account. It was my bank which stepped up to the plate to help me out and got my money back. The account has since been canceled and I'll never use Paypal again.

Just about all the banks have gift cards you can purchase that are Visa or Mastercards (depends on the company they use for debit cards, I guess) that you can buy for a small fee and are rechargable. They work exactly like a credit card, there's no PIN to remember, there's no fees to actually use them and any merchant that takes credit cards can process it just like a credit card (and for those merchants out there, the fees are the same as a regular credit card).

The kind from check cashing places or stores are a little trickier in that they charge usage fees. The kind from the bank, as far as I've seen don't have that kind of surcharge for use.

The downside with most of these is that they are useless for purchasing anything online for some reason. I had gotten one for christmas in the hopes of getting my wife a surprise present from online and her not knowing it. I was very dissapointed when it wouldn't work since it didn't have some type of reference number or something that was needed to verify that it was a legitimate card.

Sorry to hear of your troubles EB. Sounds like it is a case or their 'protective measures' doing more harm than good. It seems that those measures only hinder rather than protect.

Dropped them when I kept getting emails about people trying to hack the account.

Those emails were probably from people trying to hack your paypal account...

I've been using Paypal for several years now. I have yet to have a problem (knock on wood...). One way to protect yourself is to create a bank account of "fun money." Several banks offer free checking, so all you'd need to do is transfer some funds into it, paypal your orders, and away you go...

IIRC after a certain transaction time, Paypal requires you to tie the account to a bank account...

If you're afraid of someone defrauding you, don't have money. My dad who has never done any "e-shopping" had his CC# stolen and some Russians attempted to wipe out his bank account (the bank halted all transactions when they saw my Dad has NEVER used his card outside the US). That guy standing behind you at the store checking his text messages may just be trying to take a picture of your card. And then, you can still get mugged...

Damon.

Well what I ended up doing was having my husband make the purchase using his credit card. I then sent an e-mail off to Reaper asking nicley for them to cancel the order/payment from PayPal. I figure If I need to I can look into getting a refund if they don't get to it in time.

I'm going to drag my business partner (its our business account thets tied to PayPal) to the bank so we can set up a checking account with the savings account (one of those you have to have savings with the bank to get the checking) and then get a check card, and then only use the PayPal for taking payments.

Not to derail the thread, but those of you that refuse to use Paypal: how do you have buyers pay you on Ebay?

That would be simple. I don't use Ebay. I've talked to more fellow employees at work and others I know around me locally that find Ebay is filled with a lot of crooked people, so I just steer clear of it.

I buy things on Ebay all the time, and almost always use Paypal. I am always aware that I am at risk, and I have just one bad experience in over 5 years. A while back, I was high bidder on a couple sets of West Wind Games figures for their Rippers Wars setting. I paid $50, but then never received my minis. No reply from the seller, it turned out that it was a game store that was going out of business. I contacted Paypal, as they claim they have thousands of dollars in "buyer protection". After their investigation, they concluded that I had been ripped off & sent me a statement that they would refund my money. Simultaneously, they also slapped me with a $50 "investigation fee". That's right, I ended up still being out my money, and no minis.

I've had over 500 satisfactory transactions with Ebay/Paypal, this was my only bad one. I chalk it up now to experience, and never bid anymore than I'm willing to lose.

Not to derail the thread, but those of you that refuse to use Paypal: how do you have buyers pay you on Ebay?

Money orders. Years ago I would have taken checks, but the number of bad checks has risen dramatically and many businesses have stopped taking them, so I did, too.

Stories like some of those above are why I use PayPal *only* with a credit card. When you have problems, you can talk to the credit card people if PayPal is non-responsive. When said credit card is with the bank where you've had an account for years (in my husband's case, for a lot of years), the bank won't want to lose you as a customer.