Catering at RCon 08

kristof65

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2007 was mild and surprisingly dry.

I remember the chili and hotdogs from the first two years. Lovely though they were..one might say they gave a body "that certain warm feeling inside" And we all know there's more room out than in. :lol:

And yes, there's lots to eat within a short drive of Reaper HQ. I was looking forward to a dinner at Taco Bueno but never seemed to find the time. Oh well.. one more thing to add to next year's to-do list.

The food-handling by the Sonic employees was impecably clean. They kept all their cold-storage supplies in the Reaper breakroom fridge in-between meal breaks and kept their steam dishes nice and hot during mealtimes. Also, each of the people manning the food line was very friendly. The food was quite tasty, especially the cheese sandwich, which can only be surpassed by the ones my own mom makes. (Believe me, I have a very critical palate where cheese sandwiches are concerned).

I've gotta agree with Spike, I was impressed with Sonic (with the exception of the warmish mayo, in retrospect). I ate a good number of burgers and breakfast wraps, and probably way too much mayo, without a problem, but I made a point of picking up a "healthy" breakfast (yum Multigrain Waffles!) each morning on the way in... staying relatively healthy and not over doing the fast-junk-food is a pretty standard game-con concern.

So thanks to Reaper for arranging onsite food, it would be a huge pain to have to jump in a car and head to town every time we were hungry. Thanks also to Sonic for doing the hard work getting food there! I think we need to be realistic: if we eat any food for 3+ days in a row we are gonna get tired of it and possibly have some "aftereffects"! ::P: I think Sonic is there to fill in, and it's our responsibility to head out a few times for healthier fair.

I think a pot luck sounds awsome! Maybe we could order pizza one night? Car pools to SubWay sound great too. Damn, now you got me planning for next year already! ::D:

I was driver in a four person carpool to and from RCon. We only made one trip for non-Sonic food as it was the only one we could fit into our jam-packed convention schedules.

I don't really know how Sonic could 'mix it up' more than what they did. I too was seduced into eating one too many foot-long dogs with chili but common sense soon prevailed and I was onto burgers with lots of 'maters and lettuce. And warm mayo.

I'm just glad to have food available onsite so I could spend my time where it mattered. Doing con stuff.

Ditto what Rastl said. Convenience and, I believe almost all-day availability, outweighed by far the quality of the food. Which wasn't too bad, really. I got chicken burgers most of the time, with a lot of tomatoes and pickles, and tater tots.

I'd wager that volunteers to help organize different food options for next year would be welcome.

While I have nothing bad to say about the food , by Sunday I had fast-food overload . :blink: I generally eat healthier food but from what I had , I found it to be edible if not different from my usual palate . Having the food on site was a godsend , thanks Reaper ! ::D:

There is a lot of food choices available within 5-10 minutes driving time from Reaper.

I was glad to see Sonic back this year. It's become sort of a tradition.

I wasn't there this year, but last year's arrival of Sonic was a blessing after the previous year of canned chili and dogs.

I've been to quite a number of cons now and one of the things I have learned is there is no such thing as truly healthy con food. If you want something other than fast food fare, you usually need to bring it yourself or travel beyond the Con doors. And as Spartan said, there are a ton of options right down the road if you hang a right out of the Reaper driveway, including a Super Walmart with a very good grocery section.

The other thing to remember is that most Con food is also grotesquely overpriced. That wasn't the case last year, and I doubt it was this year as well.

I'd love to have 5 star dining facilities but I don't go to Reapercon for the food. That they even provide some pretty good food, for cheap, is a bonus.

If you're not willing to leave for a spell, when there are things available, the issue isn't really with the food that is/isn't available, because the option of other food is present. You are making a decision not to leave and drive 5 minutes down the road to grab something.

I think Ary's idea of a binder with local delivery menus would be a good compromise for people not willing/not able due to lack of a personal vehicle to get other fare. Of course, you then just need to make sure you are there when the delivery guy shows up.

I think Ary's idea of a binder with local delivery menus would be a good compromise for people not willing/not able due to lack of a personal vehicle to get other fare. Of course, you then just need to make sure you are there when the delivery guy shows up.

This is my biggest issue. I don't drive, or have a driver's license, so if SD is in a class, I can't hop in the car and go get food. The same problem exists with people who do not have a rental car/personal vehicle. With a binder of local menus, even if we went to pick the food up, it would then enable a person or two to go pick up the order and bring it back for a larger group (say, the paint and take area where people are finishing up their contest entries and have time constraints to get their entry in or to take an order for when one goes into a class). Even if Sonic is on-site the whole of the con (which is very helpful for those who want to really keep costs down - the prices were good even if the food was subpar from what I'm used to getting from Sonic), having even a folder of menus to call and have delivered (or for pick up) food would give us some options. I can call Subway and put in an order, then it's ready by the time we get there. Most fast food places even do this (I did it with McDonalds once, I know, but it was a long time ago).

I'd like to point out something I stated above. I like Sonic, but the food they were serving was not what I'm used to getting from them. That may be the biggest issue for me, since we have a Sonic right down the road from us where I live. Yes, we could have gone to the Sonic down the road, but, again, I don't drive.

And I admit to being a tad on the tired/cranky side. You should have seen me Sunday morning when McDonalds messed up our breakfast order, then left with our receipt. :grr: SD wouldn't let me go in and scream and yell at them.

In fact, I need to find out which one it was so I can email corporate HQ and scream and rant in an email to them. I want my hashbrown!!!

And we PAID for that parfait. :grr::grr::grr:

Just to keep this in perspective, as far as I know Reapercon is the only small convention to even have food available onsite. My cons do but that's because they are in hotels with resteraunts and a catering staff and charge something not quite resembling a reasonable price.

Sonic really did an excellent job and the guy that was in charge is a gamer. They took good care of us. I ate everything on the menu there, had mayo (really miracle whip) on my burgers and chicken and chili on the hot dogs. I was fine ::D:

Just to keep this in perspective, as far as I know Reapercon is the only small convention to even have food available onsite. My cons do but that's because they are in hotels with resteraunts and a catering staff and charge something not quite resembling a reasonable price.

Sonic really did an excellent job and the guy that was in charge is a gamer. They took good care of us.

No disagreement there. I thought it was great that they were there, and the variety and amount of food was pretty good for such a small con - no offense Kris, but RCon had a better choice of food (and higher quality) than Ghengis did.

I ate everything on the menu there, had mayo (really miracle whip) on my burgers and chicken and chili on the hot dogs. I was fine ::D:

This is the only thing I'll argue with you on. I really didn't like the fact that they didn't have the condiments and fixings sitting in ice. Since I've had food poisoning twice in my life because of warm mayo, I won't touch it if there is even the slightest chance I could get sick again. Sure, most of the time you don't get sick. But when you do, it completely sucks. And while it's harder to get food poisoning from Miracle Whip, it's still possible.

That's my only complaint. Everything else I said was just suggestions on how my old company handled similar complaints for our training classes.

Aside from regular food, it would be fun to have an icecream truck stop by like Saturday afternoon.

Or rent one of those soft-serve ice cream machines. That would be a nice addition to whatever catering and snacks there is next year.

Sonic really did an excellent job and the guy that was in charge is a gamer. They took good care of us.

No disagreement there. I thought it was great that they were there, and the variety and amount of food was pretty good for such a small con - no offense Kris, but RCon had a better choice of food (and higher quality) than Ghengis did.

None taken. Its a hotel, I have no control over the food or what they serve. Most hotels are not setup to handle a "food bar" as it were. We usually have to talk them into it. After the first con the dollar signs light up in their eyes when ever they think about. Actually we are one of the few conventions in the country where you can even get food on site like that. Reaper has got Genghis and Tacticon and most of the country hands down on this one. By the way the Hyatt's food is superior to the Sherton's however since they sold their space through 2009 we won't be back there for a while. :down:

By the way the Hyatt's food is superior to the Sherton's however since they sold their space through 2009 we won't be back there for a while. :down:

yeah, I already complained to my sister-in-law about that. Not her department, but she knows who did it, and she wasn't happy either. She didn't come right out and say it, but she left me the impresson that the con gets more room nights than the other guys.

I can't say that I've ever been to many cons that don't have food service of some sort - even if it's just a hotel restaurant. The only ones I can think of was one of the first Ghengis Con's and one hosted by GDW in Normal IL many years ago. I know of a few small ones like RCon that don't but I've never attended those.

I have to admit when I first heard that Reaper had Sonic for RCon, that I thought that meant there was a Sonic next door or across the street. (Now that I've been there, I realize that's not bloody likely, and it's cool that Sonic is on site).

Take a right out of HQ lot and in about 5 minutes you'll get to the actual Sonic. It's on the right. There's also a Starbucks not too far. About 1 minute further down the road on your left, there is what you would have to call fast food heaven, with just about every major chain located within about 30 ft of each other.