Brush Question

I must be the only soul who loves the taklons.

I actually enjoy the hook. It might be because I got used to having to employ the brush with one. I find it's still a point, it's just at an angle. So instead of, say, dotting an eye straight in I tilt the mini and get a nice steady rest hold.

I'm evil to brushes, so it's better for me to have an army of cheap ones. Some of my taklons lasted months with minimal care, some died gloriously and quickly on the field of paint (like the 20/0 I accidentally jabbed into the table).

I think my 5/0 lasted the longest, and for a while I even used it to basecoat.

The only complaint I DO have about taklons is that some of the last brushes I bought didn't have the plastic protector tube. They came "pre-ruined". I like to ruin them myself, TYVM.

It wasn't a big deal, though, since I'll just send them off for "small drybrush" duty or other hard labour.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Buglips, there's always room for a little heresy around here. Like enjoying taklons with bendy tips.

Here's another bit of heresy for you. I've been using one of the old red-handled Citadel Detail brushes and I love the thing. I'll probably use it at Gen Con, since it's a bad place to take your really "good" brushes.

This particular brush has a very long hair that comes to a sharp point. I'm finding it very useful, especially for highlight glazing. Nice carrying capacity and the long hair means it will keep a nice point even when loaded.

What you like in a brush will change as your skills increase. There was a time when my favorite brush was a WNS7 Miniature 000. Now I rarely use it. Why? Well, since I've got greater brush control, I don't need such a tight, tiny tip. I find something with a longer hair works better for me. I have enough control now that I don't need that tiny tip to keep from "loosing" it.

Synthetics can be a lot more forgiving of poor control, bad technique and abuse. If they don't hold up, so what? They're cheap. Go to Wal Mart or Michael's and pick up another dozen. But if you try using better quality brushes and taking care of them, you may eventually find your synthetics a lot less attractive. I know I did.

• Artists

I keep a few hooked taklons around for hooky applications. They are very useful for getting into/under/around some spots. It's a bit stressful when one of my favourite hookies gets worn enough to be relegated to drybrush only status. While I can ruin the tip on a taklon brush within a couple of hours, I can't always guarantee I'll turn it into a good hooky!

One thing you should NOT do with the Series 7 is dip it more than halfway into paint. If you do, you'll get paint stuck up inside the ferrule and it's almost impossible to get it clean again. I totalled my S7 at ReaperCon doing this, and no amount of WN Brush Cleaner would help.

I'm likely to get lynched for this, but I am pretty sloppy with the whole "don't get paint in the ferrule" commandment. And to be honest, I think I actually clean and condition them maybe one every two or three months. I have WNS7, WNS7M, Davincis, Raphaels, Reapers.... I am pretty careful about the point, but I have never really had any problems at all with paint in the ferrule causing any problems for me. All I do is swish against the side of the jar a couple times and go.

I keep a few hooked taklons around for hooky applications. They are very useful for getting into/under/around some spots. It's a bit stressful when one of my favourite hookies gets worn enough to be relegated to drybrush only status. While I can ruin the tip on a taklon brush within a couple of hours, I can't always guarantee I'll turn it into a good hooky!

:lol: Me too!!! I lost my all time favorite about 6 months ago, and now I'm trying to "train" a replacement! Easier said than done, for sure!

I'm likely to get lynched for this, but I am pretty sloppy with the whole "don't get paint in the ferrule" commandment.

I saw that! ::D:

As long as you regularly clean the heck outta them with cleaners you can be ok doing that, but I'd much rather not get paint in there and not have to do any thorough cleanings except for once a year or so.

One thing you should NOT do with the Series 7 is dip it more than halfway into paint. If you do, you'll get paint stuck up inside the ferrule and it's almost impossible to get it clean again. I totalled my S7 at ReaperCon doing this, and no amount of WN Brush Cleaner would help.

I'm likely to get lynched for this, but I am pretty sloppy with the whole "don't get paint in the ferrule" commandment. And to be honest, I think I actually clean and condition them maybe one every two or three months. I have WNS7, WNS7M, Davincis, Raphaels, Reapers.... I am pretty careful about the point, but I have never really had any problems at all with paint in the ferrule causing any problems for me. All I do is swish against the side of the jar a couple times and go.

Oh, yeah. If you're using thinned paint and washes, and the brush has good capillary action, there's going to be some paint in the ferrule. You just don't want it to accumulate dried paint up there.

When my brushes get bad, this is what I do:

--Let the brush soak up W&N brush cleaner.

--Give it five or ten minutes to soften the paint.

--Press a white paper towel around the brush to suck the brush cleaner back out.

--Let the brush soak up more cleaner. It doesn't have to sit as long this time, a minute or so.

--Blot again with the paper towel. Be gentle so that you don't break off hairs.

Repeat until the cleaner that's being pulled out is mostly clear.

Rinsing well while painting will mean little to no ferrule build-up.

--Jen

I even lick them after drinking straight bourbon...

Whoa! Hey, just a little bit too much information :unsure:

But have you ever licked a sable after drinking straight bourbon? Don't try this at home kids.

QUOTE(mattmcl @ May 23 2007, 08:51 AM)

I think the problem is worse up here in Colorado. Paint dries SO much faster, it gets clogged up in there much easier.

Jen gave me the above advice at Rcon- it helped, but it just kept getting worse.