Astrid for CBP

awong

Well, it's been awhile, but I finally have something to show.

Erin received Astrid safe and sound so I thought I'd throw a few pix up and take my chances.

May I say that I think this sculpt is one of my favorites and she was an absolute joy to paint. If I ever had to do her again, (and I've got one more on the painting table for myself) I think I definitely need to hit some tricky "gotcha" areas first (like the back of the lute strings and that bit of belt behind her thighs).

Hair is still really flat. I always seem to ruin hair with the last wash :angry:

NMM is still really confused :wacko:

Anyways, enough of me...what about you ::):

post-896-1179955616_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really really nice Awong!!!

And thanks for the heads up on the gotcha areas... This mini is in my on-deck circle as well.

Like the stage she is on, and I like the colours of blue you have her in - very nice shades, and the red piping really sets them off. Stellar job!

Thanks EB and VV,

Watch out for the area behind her neck too ::):

Edit: Oh and the most important (I think someone else on the boards mentioned it), check the third or fourth tie on the corset. Mine was cast without a loop of string at that level. Unfortunately, I caught this late, but managed to carefully sculpt in a green stuff replacement. You'll probably want to fix that even before priming.

-AW

Nice work on this one AW. What did you use to make that stage??? I love it. I love the colours you chose for her also. Thanks for the heads up on the tricky areas. She is sitting on my shelf 'o' shame at the moment waiting to be painted as well.

Nice work on this one AW. What did you use to make that stage??? I love it. I love the colours you chose for her also. Thanks for the heads up on the tricky areas. She is sitting on my shelf 'o' shame at the moment waiting to be painted as well.

Thanks LCS. I was actually trying to go for a more translucent / sheer hose look but couldn't pull that off...for another time I think.

Voladilk, the stage is plastic sheet. The top and front pieces were scored with a hobby knife after the planks were carved. A few holes were drilled for knots. I then used a trick for "antiquing" wood...I hammered dents into the surface with the back end of my hobby knife. That gives it a well used look. The back was scored plastic sheet bent to the curvature of the stage and base. I put a coat of Squadron Green Putty over the scored surface and sanded smooth. Once dry, the stage was filled with Plaster of Paris (as was the plastic base). The Plaster of Paris addes some weight and gave me something to pin Astrid's feet into.

Thanks again for your kind comments!

-AW

Thank you Meg and LSTR,

I have one of those light tent things but my photos are coming out very dark. I had better luck with my Ottlight. I'm wondering if I'm using my white balancing incorrectly? I definitely need to spend more time over on the Shutterbug forum ::):

Thanks again

-AW