Pre-Painted Plastics vs Metal and related Debate

Sergei

Adding in "especially kids" also insinuates being immature...

No, it doesn't insinuate anything. I was simply stating that children are much less likely to get involved in a fairly expensive and somewhat demanding hobby, especially when there is a cheaper and easier alternative. They just don't have the budget or attention span. Unless you're undeer 18, you can't take offense because the statement doesn't apply to you. When there is no alternative, they are generally forced to (which is sometimes a good thing) but I still think that some people who may have taken up painting won't bother now, or at least will put it off indefinitely.

I'm glad the hobby is doing well, and that some paint classes are full. Maybe pre-painted plastic won't hurt lead as much as I thought. But I still sympathize with the person who has put a lot of money, time, and effort into a custom-painted army only to, at times, be unable to play against people who have shared the same experience, put forth the same effort, and have something worth sharing. It makes part the visual and visceral part of the gaming experience one-sided.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love to paint, I spend more time painting than playing. I also love cheap miniatures. I also love it when my opponent has some sort of paint on their army besides spray primer. I'm having trouble seeing the downside of pre paints. Personally, I will be buying them and then repainting them to look nice and sexy. I have started to do this with my favorite heroclix. That way when my girlfriend kicks my butt at least my team looks good while they die.

I have a huge army of reptus, all of which are painted. Many of my opponents haven't put that much pigment on their metal. I would love it if they slapped some prepaints down in their deployment zone, as something is better than nothing.

Prepaints allow me (who likes to paint) to buy some cheap cannon fodder. They also allow those who don't like to paint to have some color in their armies. Where is the downside? I can't find it.

And why am I not at reapercon? Can you have it in raleigh NC next year?

No it can't be at Raleigh. Thats even further away from me than it is now. I'll vote for Denver.

I have to agree with the people oppose pre-paints. To me we have two seperate, but in some ways conjoined hobbies : pianting and table top wargaming. Some people like to paint, some wargame, some both. Prepains offer an option for those who don't like to paint.

And now we come to the crux of the biscuit: we can all be happy in this land of miniatures, each and every one.

I'll say this again: Returning Iraq veterans who are amputees have to deal with metal and plastic in ways that make this debate sound really childish. Really, is it even important?

No it can't be at Raleigh. Thats even further away from me than it is now. I'll vote for Denver.

That would involve moving Reaper HQ to Denver. Not that I'd mind.

Come to think of it, I think there'll be more people here from the Denver area than any other place (aside from those from around DFW metro).

So maybe Denver would be a good home-away-from-home for ReaperCon. There is always Genghis, of course.

No No NO, move it to Raleigh. I swear we have at least a dozen loyal gamers here who would be happy to host it. We can have it at my house. We'll send the non gamers in the family on a surprise vacation. I'll just need help cleaning up afterwards.

Clearly having Reaper HQ anywhere in the US would give some americans an unfair advantage of proximity. Move it to Copenhagen Denmark. That way it would be (almost) equally problematic for all americans to get there.

Saw the pre-production pieces yesterday & today. The skeletons are almost exactly like the older DHL sculpts. I was told that Reaper sent off some masters of DHL sculpts to be reproduced in plastic. I happen to have one of the pewter skeletons here with me - it's one of the first Reaper minis I ever painted.

Sadly, when compared side by side, the plastic prepaint looks better than my paint job.

This is going to be awesome. I know game groups that will now be able to impose "no unpainted figure" rules and actually be able to get away with it AND still keep armies affordable to anyone who wants to play.

I know game groups that will now be able to impose "no unpainted figure" rules and actually be able to get away with it AND still keep armies affordable to anyone who wants to play.

Why? This rule might as well be tossed. The purpose of such a rule is to reward your opponent with something interesting to look at and encourage the hobby by pushing you to paint.

I don't see the difference between unpainted metal and prepainted plastics in this respect. In fact, I can respect the unpainted metal more as it represents at least the intention to paint, plus there is a bit of posing and preparation that goes into metal minis before painting ever begins.

Plastic means you have no intention of painting these guys and the effort you put forth was zero compared to metal minis.

Perhaps instead they could have a different division for completed metal minis and plastics. That way the original intent of the rule can be enforced without excluding anyone who bought plastic.

I always thought that the three-color/must-be-painted rule that exists in so many gaming areas was to prevent the all-metal army. If I take an army and spray it green, then dot the eyes (or upper half of the faces) red, and glob silver on the weapons, is it any more legit than a prepainted army? I would say it is less, because it is uglier. Does the fact that I'm gonna paint this someday make my metal of better quality? What if I buy the metal minis with no intention of painting them? Are you tellling me that a prepainted army is less interesting to look at than a bunch of unpainted metal? Same sculpts, you just have to choose between some color or no color. If I were to paint a metal army to look like the prepaints would it be ok, or would those paint jobs not count? Does the fact that your opponent doesn't have time or desire to paint lessen the value of your army in any way? Do you paint so that your opponent will be happy or because you enjoy painting? I will agree that a well painted army on a well designed board is a beautiful thing, but wouldn't you want to play no matter what? Did I ask enough questions?

I would still rather see some paint than no paint, no matter how that paint got there.

Holly stuffe! I stop hanging around the Reaper Forum for a while and hell freezes over!

I LOVE painting my minis. I just don't have the time. I have reluctantly put my boxes of yet unopened blisters away because I was tired of haveing to fight for the kitchen table every week or so just to put on a couple collors on a figgure.

This pre-painted line will not satisfy my need to paint but it will be great to have when I want to run a game with miniatures. Heck yeah! This is going to be great!

I'll say this again: Returning Iraq veterans who are amputees have to deal with metal and plastic in ways that make this debate sound really childish. Really, is it even important?

My cousin Ken is a veteran of the first Gulf War, the Kosovo thing, and the current Iraq thing. My grandfather still has nightmares about Korea. My father was a Marine during Vietnam. I think most of us care about our soldiers, wounded or not.

The thing is, this is a forum for the discussion and/or argument over little bits of painted metal and plastic. We are doing nothing more than using the forum for its purpose. Crying wounded soldier would be fair if we were debating the price of gas on a public events forum. Or even if somebody here were threatening suicide over the PPM matter. Or even if I started an off-topic thread about stubbing my toe this morning.

But using it to illustrate the pettiness of an argument on a forum devoted to petty arguments seems moot and even a little exploitative. No offense. It's a worthy point in its own right. And I am the first to agree that these are silly matters. But again, this is a forum for the safe discussion of silly matters. If not here, then where?