Pre-Painted Plastics vs Metal and related Debate

Sergei

If there is a good game to go along with these minis by Reaper, I might have to look at them.

Is there going to be a game associated with these minis or is the plan to have a higher quality plastic miniature that can be substituted in existing games? I like the concept in either direction or even if these are aimed at the RPG groups who don't have time to paint.

I enjoy painting but I have hordes of unpainted miniatures. When I need a special monster or character I will need a couple weeks to get it ready. Though you can use unpainted figures it just doesn't feel right somehow. And for demo or tournament games the figures have to be dressed up to the T's. If I can get a prepainted surrogate that makes me happy. I will continue to buy metal minis, palstic unpainted minis and prepainted plastic as well. And I look forward to Reaper stepping into the market.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wishes for them:

1. They must have good quality and I don't mind paying a higher price.

2. I hope that there is a game system associated with it.

Otherwise, why shouldn't I choose those from em-4 instead. At least, they are metal.

Well, that's the last nail in the coffin of Warlord for me. I don't like being sucked into something cool and then having it changed to crap. It's a very GW thing to do. Take that.

At least walk out the door... dont bury yourself.. Oh, and bye, thanks for dropping by.

Geez I threw an emoticon in there to show that it was a tongue-n-cheek remark. No wonder I hear so much negative commentary about Exodus Road .

All I can say is YAY!!! I’m all over this. Good thing Reaper is beating WoTC to the punch on this. If WoTC sold themed non-collectable packs (orc pack, gnoll pack, goblin pack, etc.) it would be crushing. I could show you the hundred or so WoTC minis I’ve bought in the last year, but it doesn’t take a picture to show the zero Reaper minis I’ve bought in the last year.

Rant time.

For a second I thought I was on Games Workshop’s forum. Oh, that’s right, they shut it down because all everyone did was woof and whine. What a bunch of drama mommas. I’ve known about this for over a year, and I’m nowhere near being in the inner circle cabal click that exists on this forum. I can’t believe the way some people are acting. Heaven forbid you say anything bad in the Show Off section, but man, I guess that decorum got left by the door when people act like this constitutes getting their feelings hurt.

For good or bad you represent Reaper by your actions in this community. You hear that? That is the sound of a thousand other gamers laughing at this tread.

This is why the post counts in the forum are abysmal. As a community, I think some people need to take a step back, take a hard look in the mirror, and get off your high horse.

Shame on you.

Oh yeah, Crunch, the next time you’re in town, I’ll bring some of my Infinity stuff up to the Asylum and we'll play a game.

Later!

I don't care who makes it or if it's made from metal, plastic, or last night's mashed potatos. If it looks good and it's reasonably priced, I'll buy and used it. Painted, unpainted, barely assembled, etc.

And no, I am not seriously interested in anyone's dinner leftovers at the moment ::P:

I was gonna say, I have some peas from last night I'm sure I could arrange in some interesting manner....

This thread needs levity...

The bane of all young children who hate their veggies, the dreaded

Pea Golem

Large Construct

Hit Dice: 10d8 +50 (90 HP)

Initiative: +8

Speed: 40 ft

AC: 20 (-1 Size, +4 Dex, +7 Natural), touch 13, flat footed 16

Attacks: Shooter +6 Ranged touch

Damage: Shooter 1d8 + 3

Space/Reach: 10 ft by 10 ft/10 ft

Special Attacks: Nausea

Special Defenses: Defensive Roll 5/day

Special Qualities: Construct

Saves: Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +4

Abilities: Str 16, Dex 18, Con 20, Int 2, Wis 2, Cha 2

Skills: Tumble +20

Climate/Terrain: Any

Organization: None, Solitary

Challenge Rating: 6

Treasure: None

Alignment: Neutral

I think this is great news. I love to wargame. Frankly I just don't have time to paint anymore. There isn't a game store anywere near to me what that means if I want to play a game I first have to make someone belive that the game is worth playing. I don't have time to paint a bunch of minis and play. I have time for one or the other.

I just looked I have about $400 dollars of DarkHaven minis, $400 in CAV minis and that much in Battletech minis unpainted. So that is around $1200 in minis not includeing other minis I find here and there that look good. Those minis are just wasteing. I will never find the time to paint them. Inact I am not that good at painting and don't really have the desire to do so anymore. When I wargame I want to game not spend weeks painting so I can play. Heck I picked up Hero Scape so I could have a game with painted minis to play with my Seven year old. The sad part about all those minis. Is my wife can paint really good. But she doesn't have time either to paint anymore. Would I buy the Prepainted minis yes because then I can focus on wargameing.

Now I understand some people don't like plastic minis. I don't really understand that. Someone stated earlier that plastics would impact metal mini sales. Probaly true. That same person also stated that video games has impacted the industry which is also true. The second is why minis like these are needed. Gameing companies need to lower the cost of entry into there games. Doing so gets them more players. More players is good for the metal minis. Sure right now metal minis is all of the Warlord market. But Plastic minis could possiably triple the number of players playing Warlord. If half of those players start buying Metal minis then you have increased the number of people buying Metal minis.

You know the first game with minis I played was Battletech. I played using the cardboard counters for years untill I got talked into buying one metal mini. I got hooked on metal minis from that point on. Now I have come to a point in live were I still want to game but I have a job that requires alot of extra hours and a family. I just do not have time to game and paint. Things like this can bring me out of my state of semi retirment and bring in alot of new players. I am all for anything that brings new players in.

To the Reaper guys. Any chance we will see any CAV figures done in plastic?

That strip nearly made me spit coffee all over my laptop, yes.

I've held back and watched the conversation for a while, and I guess I boil down to this:

-I'm an elitist metal-snob.

-Pre-painteds have their place...I guess.

-Reaper as a business has to do what is best for the business. If that's PPM, more power to them.

-I really don't have a good reason for my bias against PPMs.

-If Reaper made PPMs, I'd use them...probably. This depends on the quality and price.

That strip nearly made me spit coffee all over my laptop, yes.

I've held back and watched the conversation for a while, and I guess I boil down to this:

-I'm an elitist metal-snob.

-Pre-painteds have their place...I guess.

-Reaper as a business has to do what is best for the business. If that's PPM, more power to them.

-I really don't have a good reason for my bias against PPMs.

-If Reaper made PPMs, I'd use them...probably. This depends on the quality and price.

The frog has spoken ::):

The only thing that would worry me is that they may stop doing metal all together leaving another mini company making crappy minis. I have hundreds of dollars in metal minis from reaper and I have most of them painted. I use them for dnd. I also remember the chainmail minis that I was really fond of. I bought a lot of them. Sure there were the retarded looking ones like the swiftwind monk and so on, but there was also the numerous other ones that were really awesome. Well now that they went with those crappy plastics they for the most part look like crap. I have taken and repainted about a half dozen plastic monsters, but i would love to have the cool monsters in metal. It is a superior material to work with. When I hear people saying that the ddms look decent that sounds a lot like settling. I have been buying reaper minis for about a decade and hold them as my favorite mini company. I for one am not in teh mood for settling. When it comes to havin g to field 30 skeletons of a few dozen orcs then yes, i feel plastics are awesome. But, as I said above, how long until they all are plasti-crap?

If though there is going to be plastic minis will they be the weak-butt, flimsy ones that the ddms are made of? The prepaints for AT-43 are tougher and hold at least a little detail.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing really. I know lots of guys who are going to love these bcause they can buy packs of what they need for a game, open them and slap them on the table. Having plastic skellies would be brilliant because my metal ones keep falling apart.

I was never big into the pre-painted plastics because of the plastics that are used - they tend to warp and bend and just look rather oogie. The paintjob was never relaly great either - but that is getting better

The part that makes me sad is when I flip over a blister of reaper figures there is a little 'merican flag that says "Made in the USA" - and this was a point of pride for me - I think. I like supporting a US company - but I'd imagine the plastics will be manufactured overseas and painted by an army of asian kids someplace and that doesn't sit well with me. If they are being machine painted - this is a little better, I guess but still.

It's just me though - I'm not going to condemn the line based on my personal feelings, nor am I going to say this is the death of the hobby as it's only a new transition.

It's just me though - I'm not going to condemn the line based on my personal feelings, nor am I going to say this is the death of the hobby as it's only a new transition.

I am. And I do think that this is the (beginning of) the death of the hobby. My "hobby" (or one of them) is painting metal miniatures. I prefer the best-made metal minis in the world and right now those are produced by Reaper.

Just as a reminder, we are not going to stop or reduce making metal minis. We see no reason to alter our current business plan other than adding to it. Just putting the word in again as this thread is getting huge and Ed's earlier post may be overlooked.

Matt, will you explain a couple of things to me? And obviously as I'm only one customer it might not merit your time but...

The financial resources involved in producing plastic, pre-painted miniatures have to come from somewhere. I realize you can't give us a full disclosure of your company's financial situation but how is it exactly that you're going to introduce not just a new product line but a new product line that requires a whole new manufacturing resource without diverting funds once spent on metal mini production? And if you do divert those funds, how does that not impact metal mini production?

Have you considered Hasbro's reaction to this? If you start to pull significant numbers of fans away from them and they release DDMs as non-random "boosters", including statcards etc. (and I guarentee they won't sit back and let it go without a fight), and the fanboys go running back to mama WotC, what then? Where does that leave you? Where does that leave us (fans of Reaper's stellar metal minis). Moreover if these things are hugely successful, if you're selling the painted plastic at 3x the rate of unpainted metal, economic reality has got to tell you "well, that's where the money is, sorry unpainted metal mini fans".

Speaking of, have you taken a look at the history of MageKnight? Fuh.

Oh and a nuts-and-bolts question: what kind of plastic are you guys talking about, exactly? That same chintzy rubberized garbage hasbro uses? Or something with a little more body to it?

I want to think this is a good thing, Matt, but I just don't see it. Either it tanks and takes Reaper down the hole (which means the best minis in the world disappear) or it's hugely successful and you guys just quit making metal minis (meaning the best minis in the world disappear).

Oh, and SaintRigger said this:

The part that makes me sad is when I flip over a blister of reaper figures there is a little 'merican flag that says "Made in the USA" - and this was a point of pride for me - I think. I like supporting a US company - but I'd imagine the plastics will be manufactured overseas and painted by an army of asian kids someplace and that doesn't sit well with me. If they are being machine painted - this is a little better, I guess but still.

...and you know what? I'm with him 100%. I like the fact that reaper minis are made in the US. I think it's a point of pride. Best minis in the world coming from here? That's awesome.