Pre-Painted Plastics vs Metal and related Debate

Sergei

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We operate under the assumption that these boards are public, and anything we say can be quoted (or misquoted) and used against us. You may quote us, but please include context where necessary. Some statements, taken out of context, could have the opposite effect.

Rather than run the risk, I linked back to the messages in this thread. That way interested parties can see the whole context. 'zatok?

Looking at the realease list, so far its mostly monsters and mooks. My question then is how will these releases affect future decisions about what monsters to release? Frankly, probably 90% of my Reaper purchases are monsters or things that are not "heros" or PCs (lately I've been buying up Weapon packs and villagers, to break that trend a bit). Again, stressing I have NO interest in buying a pre-paint, will metal releases continue on this same track, or will it be PC types only? That would be my other MAJOR concern.

I would also like to see more variety in the Warlord line, in terms of troops. I considered maybe building a dwarf army (but unlike others, I tend to go mucking futz on such things, investing in 100 or more figures before I consider it to be an army; most of my historical armies FREX come in at the 100 to 200 figure ranges...). What put me off was the 3 poses in the troops packs (below my standard of at least 4 poses per a troop type). Although I know you can customize a bit (seems there are seperate weapon and shield sprues), its a bit low for my standards. Any plans with regards to this, and will pre-paints kill any such releases?

Damon.

See, here is what you should have done....

Posted a few pics in the GREENs area on the website, and when everyone started drooling over them, then jump out and say "surprise" they are all plastic and part of out new Legends series...

then no one would argue cause they would be too busy wiping up their drool...

Frosch may call himself a "metal snob", but he doesn't complain too loud when he uses my D&D minis.

Well.... maybe not to you....

:unsure:

Awww.. I'm teasing.

I'm just lashing out becasue of a lack of california rollin'

When are we all going to get together again?

I know that PPPM is the current hot thing on the market and Reaper needs to expand to stay in business, but I have no interest in any of them. I am a metal man.

PPPM is for the people that need that instant gradification to play right then and now. Just my opinion.

Good luck Reaper. I hope this line works out for the company.

rm

I really can't say much about these until I see them. We have had pre painted plastics for years now and there are still pleanty of bare metals around so I don't think this is going to kill the hobby for those of us who enjoy it. I may however kill the hobby for the future. Not these in particular but this type of thing. Certainly metal prices are going up to the point that I can't afford to have "armies" of metal minis. Also as an adult with responsibilities I find painting grunts and big units to be pretty taxing.

I started painting when I was 11. 1985 or so. Minis came unpainted. Model kits came unassembled and definately unpainted. I think there is more to the hobby than playing the games. In fact I would say less than half the point of the hobby is playing the games for people like me.

These type of products do point out the Walmartification of the world. What this really points to in not the death of this hobby but the death of all hobbies, crafts, and arts. The western world is moving farther and farther away from an economy based on craftsmanship. In fact it has been for over a century now. We don't make things with our hands anymore so we are loosing the appriciation for things made by the hands of others.

I've been involved with a number of arts and crafts my whole life. What I see today is people are less inclined to try to do things themselves and more inclined buying everything they want or getting things in darn near completed "kit" form. Those of us who take up a hobby and try to get better at it are declining in numbers. Most people ditch hobbies at the first disappointment unwilling to keep at it. I'm not entirely sure why this is but I've noticed it and it's getting worse.

Even though Knitting, quilting, and other crafts are seeing a MASSIVE resurgence? Look at how many specialty yarn shops there are now compared to 20 years ago! Even in small towns! Craft magazine wouldn't have existed then.

Crafts aren't dying, and plastic minis will not kill miniatures. The market will grow and shrink. All Reaper is doing is offering the figures people need to buy a lot of at a great price point. Hate the paintjobs? Repaint them!

Even though Knitting, quilting, and other crafts are seeing a MASSIVE resurgence? Look at how many specialty yarn shops there are now compared to 20 years ago! Even in small towns! Craft magazine wouldn't have existed then.

Crafts aren't dying, and plastic minis will not kill miniatures. The market will grow and shrink. All Reaper is doing is offering the figures people need to buy a lot of at a great price point. Hate the paintjobs? Repaint them!

I don't have anything against what Reaper is doing but I do see a decline in hands on hobbies.

ok, i started out to read all 15 pages of this, but that was just too much.

but you guys seem to be missing the important question

WHEN DO WE GET THE PLASTIC LIZARDS!?!?!?!?!?

I'm pumped. Plastic = cheaper. I can still paint them to be just as sexy as any of my other miniatures, and it increases the probability that I won't have the only fully painted army on the table. Long live the age of wallet friendly plastic miniatures.

I also like that they won't be all hidden and collectible.

Good Job Reaper. ::D:

I don't have anything against what Reaper is doing but I do see a decline in hands on hobbies.

I think that has more to do with life in general taking up more people's free time. Some would blame computers and video games, but I think they're really just new hobbies added to the mix. The trend of decline seems to be reversing in some hobbies as a direct result of the internet and discussion forums like this. For example, Cardstock modelling has been around for decades as a very minor hobby with few enthusiasts, but it's actually growing now as a result of the availability of good printers and easy to create PDF files.

There are a lot of hobbies that are seeing a resurgance because of the communities springing up on the internet supporting them. Hobbies are now becoming social events - take scrapbooking, for instance - what my mom used to do as a solitary activity at the kitchen table is something my sister does in a room full of her friends as a social activity. Even mini painting is no exception - when I first got into painting minis, it was a solitary thing that we did in between game sessions - now paint groups are a regular event at many game stores.

I think it's that our hobby options have increased so much in the last two decades that is actually causing the decline in some hobbies as people discover others that are experiencing growth - for example, I like to build models, but I'd much rather build a model tank I can then go use in a wargame than a car that will sit on a shelf. I see the new PPMs as a way to capture the attention of more people to the gaming hobby, which hopefully will translate to the growth of the mini painting hobby as well.