Hyrekia

Hey hey,

Hmm this is kinda scary for me, Been 2 years since i layed my hands on a brush and back then i was only exprimenting with blending and so forth. Luckily i kept lurking on this forum and seen some amazing things. Now im actually making an effort to show of what i can do. DOnt expect to much of it. Ive been painting too long for the result im getting. The past 2 years ive been annoyed with the fact that my miniature painting level isnt up to what it shoud be. Going for round two now, hoping i can stick with it.

To start of though i got a brilliant sculpt Hyrekia.

I need some help with the blons hair though. Am not far in on this char and already the hair is bugging me. I just cant seem to get the hair right. Also i didnt get the face right, and to top that off i made my wash to thick *hits himself*. I need the hair blond. but mine looks yellowish. Any advice/help and critisizm would be appreciated :). ALso i still havent decided on the colour of her robe yet. Suggestions there will be appreciated.

Oke without further adue (or however you spell that):

Closeup.JPG

Closeup2.JPG

Closeup3.JPG

Thanks for the help, it is appreciated, ofcourse ill keep you guys updated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, that's not too bad for a blonde. I think I'd probably do a very thin wash of a medium to dark brown in the roots and at the part in the hair, and then highlight it with a linen white or ivory, depending on how much you want it to look like a platinum blonde.

Just a small suggestion, and not related to your question, so feel free to toss, but...

I would mount your mini onto something while painting. It looks like the primer at the base of your mini is already starting to rub off. You don't want that to start happening once you've got your hard work on the mini.

A tiny drop of CA glue on a paint pot top, some tack gum, even silly putty (fieldarchy's idea) would help fix the figure on a comfortable handle that you can touch and not mar your work.

I agree with Flynn, that's a mighty fine start already. Sorry I don't have anything on hair though...I suck at hair...

-AW

When painting figures with an attached base, I use a cap from a juice bottle (about 1" in diameter or larger), and attach the mini with Elmer's poster tack. It sticks pretty well, and I don't rub off any paint that way.

Hey hey,

Thanks for the reply and the help. As promised an update. I did what you said flyn, but i might have overdone it on the brown.

Also i 'mounted' the mini. Thats a super idea and stupid of me not to do it earlyer.

I also decided to make her wander about it red, its only the first coat, might be a bit to bright though.

New1.JPG

(my appologies for the unclear picture)

Q

Hmm, thats actually the one that made me think of mine and inspired me to start my hyrekia :)

Trully awesome, its an honour to get advice of ppl that actually know how to paint. In holland we have a serious lack of good painters (that i know of). Walking into games workshop nowadays isnt even worth the trouble. The ppl in the stores dont know alot about painting (not meant as an offence). So all the help i can get here is appreciated :)

Once again thanks.

Q

ps. Did you do your blonde with brown or yellow as well?

looks like you are making good progress on the hair. I also tend to use browns and tans for blonde hair. If you are using Vallejo Model Color, the Pale Sand/Light Sand (Arena Claro in Spanish, the translated name has varied on the bottles I've seen) is a good color to keep handy.

I know there are some other painters in the Netherlands (such as Cindy Dukino) but I have no idea where they are in the country.

Good luck and keep posting.

The hair on this one is lookin' great. Blondes are tough but I have a good recipe that I use.

Here it is just incase you would like it for future reference (this is the recipe I used for my Hyrekia, my avatar here)

Basecoat with Oiled leather

highlight with oiled leather and desert gold

highlight with desert gold

highlight with desert gold and pure white

highlight pure white

glaze with the mix of oiled leather and desert gold, repeat highlight steps and glaze until happy with results.

She is lookin' good. Take your time with this model though, she's got lots of little bits on her!

I really like what is happening in the part.

What I find works for me with blond or really light brown hair is a very thin glaze of Pro Paints "Cornsilk." It's probably a simpler equivalent to fieldarchy's glaze.

The downside of glazing that you lose contrast. Depending on your style, you may want to take your highlights and shadows even lighter/darker before glazing. Again, this would be fieldarchy shadowing down far and highlighting all the way to pure white. The glaze really will soften that.

Hey guys and dames,

Thanks alot for all the tips and recipes. Really appreciate it.

Im in england now and couldnt bring all my painting stuff. I cant try out all the suggestions made, but i will when im back home again. For the time being i cant keep you updated, but trust me as soon as i can, I will post some new stuff of my work.

For now, Thanks again to all of you, Im glad i decided to make the step to try this board again.

Kind regards

Q