Sign in to follow this  
Qwyksilver

+2 CP for Friendly Discussion

One thought I had that should/could be looked at is what the casters are trying to beat as well. As rgtriplec pointed out mages are (with greater familiars) a 9.5 average and clerics are 7.5, but what are these guys having to roll to get the spell off? I know that for clerics you are looking at 2.5, but a comparison of all the MDs of models might need to be looked at. If mages are needing to roll 2.5s with their 9.5 average CP then that seems pretty much in line to me, but if mages only need 1-1.5 then it might be a bit out of line.

Just an idea. I don't have the energy to go comparing all the MDs of all the models.

But, only cleric friendly type spells only need to beat a ten. If a cleric is casting an offensive spell they are still casting against the enemy's MD, so the -2 varience is still there.

Are people routinely dropping the points for a GMF? Sounds like everyone is assuming you'll buy the upgrade when you field a Mage. 40 points is pretty hefty, I can see it on some casters, But I wouldn't be putting it on things like Railor, on a caster like him, or CP5-6 casters I don't want to upgrade I'll just drop cheapon spells I can afford to have not work that might help out in a pinch.

My example was for level 3 casters, which in many or most cases are a big investment, and are purchased because the played wants the more devistating spells. In my experience most people do invest in familiars on big mages, because they want/need that Chain Lightning, Firestorm, Holy Burst or Felling to hit as many models as possible. We're talking about 40, 50, and even 75 point spells that can't afford to miss.

I'd just like to see Clerics with more Defensive Casting capability. That way, you can maybe take a Cure or 2, but primarily, your spells will be Defensive Casting or protective. If Mages are clearly the Offensive Force of Magic, it only makes sense that Clerics are for Defense and Buffing. Leave the Curing primarily for Healer.

Some folks have already mentioned some options.

Defensive Spells to provide Deflect/X in response to Ranged attacks.

A Cleric version of Counterspell. Smaller AOE, same grade and cost. Or something that instead of attacking the CP of the Caster, boosts the MD of the targets.

Turn/Destroy Undead. Why hasn't this been done? Okay, table this for Crusader Faction Abilities instead :poke:

Neutralize Poison - Remove poison tokens from any Friendly Model within 3" AOE centered on Caster.

Enlarge - Model increases base size, gains +MAV, -DV. Perfect for plugging a gap.

What about spells that can be continued through multiple Turns. (Each Activation of the Cleric, (s)he burns a Combat Action (or both Action) to maintain an existing spell). Call it Circle of Faith: Examples: +2 MAV in 2" AOE, +2 DV in 2" AOE, +3 Dis in 3" AOE, +2 RAV in 2" AOE, etc.

Peace - Cast by a Cleric in response to being attacked. Halts all Declared Melee Attacks in certain AOE.

I'd like to see a lot more spells available to Clerics, and preferably, with a lot more restrictions, either based on alignment or Faction specificity.

Enlarge - Model increases base size, gains +MAV, -DV. Perfect for plugging a gap.

If you are going to have that , why not also "Reduce" - Model descreases base size by one, gains -2 MAV , + DV for for standard base sizes and they don't block movement because they so small . :lol: You'd have to limit what could be enlarged because what happens to the Hydra - Super Super Base ?!! :blink::wacko:

Easy enough for some. But are you going to include that as part of the spell description. 'To make use of this spell ensure you have appropriately larger size base, and some blue tack'.

Cool in theory, yes, but I still disagree about it being implemented. What shape would Cavalry bases be when they are enlarged? I know I don't have spare Giant bases lying around, I have a couple of large ones but I have plans for those.

This would have been easy to implement in the old LOS rules with small and big, but it's tougher now. Don't get me wrong, I like the notion.

Give the model +2 Mov, +2 MAV, -2 DV, Reach, but changing the base size itself makes things complicated in a game that has tried to become or remain streamlined.

PS: Enlarge is my favorite D&D first level Mage spell by far, so i'd love to see it work.

In the old base = number, Large base and Cavalry base were considered the same size, therefore, both would go to a Giant base.

Or just say. This spell can only be cast on models on a Standard base, and make them Large base.

Turn/Destroy Undead. Why hasn't this been done? Okay, table this for Crusader Faction Abilities instead :poke:

*nodsvigorously*

QUOTE(Qwyksilver @ May 26 2007, 09:41 AM)

Turn/Destroy Undead. Why hasn't this been done? Okay, table this for Crusader Faction Abilities instead

*nodsvigorously

I think Castlebuilder and I came up with a whole "undead Hunter" subfaction for the crusaders. I could probabaly post it, if I can actually remember it and write it down.

Let me get Dwarves, Elves, Reptus, and Darkspawn up to speed before we start talking new Crusader models! ::P:

No.

(What? I'm biased! :poke: )

We don't need new models. Just ditch the ever changing Mercy rules and give us turn undead instead. :poke:

Just ditch the ever changing Mercy rules

Uh oh... ::(:

How about just once more?

NOOOoooooooooo! :wacko: It'll never be right and nobody will ever be happy either for or against it . <_<

Just can it it give us something else .