Sign in to follow this  
Storminator

Model of the week!

I've not played against him yet, but will because I saw Shakhak building some the other day. They look pretty good other than the 10 DV. I think he should have been given Raider/2, it is kind of a Darkspawn thing that would fit, and be unique. A berserker type model that isn't blood crazy and can break from combat. He is a very cool model. I think they will be my berserker model in my evil freelance list that is based primarily on the model's cool factor.

I like the cost. 68 points! Seems like it's the type of model that would rip stuff apart and go down hard all at the same time, BUT I noticed an SA that it has that makes me think that it has a really cool purpose.

It has Reach! So put it in your troop with some models that have decent DV. The Soultender can march behind them, provide Reach support until that front line collapses. With moderate amounts of luck, the enemy line will be beat up at least a little, meaning the Soultenders can now rush in and finish them off without taking significant damage themselves! Fearsome keeps opponents honest should they try to flank your line and attack the Soultenders early.

I like the cost. 68 points! Seems like it's the type of model that would rip stuff apart and go down hard all at the same time, BUT I noticed an SA that it has that makes me think that it has a really cool purpose.

It has Reach! So put it in your troop with some models that have decent DV. The Soultender can march behind them, provide Reach support until that front line collapses. With moderate amounts of luck, the enemy line will be beat up at least a little, meaning the Soultenders can now rush in and finish them off without taking significant damage themselves! Fearsome keeps opponents honest should they try to flank your line and attack the Soultenders early.

That's true it would also keep opponents from trying to negate your reach by attacking the model. Because you are probably better off giving the reach support than attacking a 7MAV/3MA Warmaster.

I use my reach/first strike models just as you are saying. When the guy in front goes down they First Strike the usually already wounded enemy.

When they were just solos I didn't like em much. They usually just ended up being target practice for the enemy. But being able to run these guys in troops now will make them very useful.