Sign in to follow this  
Dedros

Alien predator.

I have a feeling that you guys are big big fans of Games Workshop. They are the ones that had cornered the market of collective intelligence.

Um...no. Hive mind came more into focus with Robert Heinlein and Starship Troopers. Not just my opinion, fandom agrees with me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenomorph_%28Alien%29

I think that is crap when we speak of Aliens. Lest we not forget Alien the first, that only ever had One alien in it. If your collective theories have any spark of truth in them then it would mean that that little all on his stupid unthinking own would have curled up in a ball and waited for the ONLY thinking creature to come along and tell it what to do. But this is not the case. That little lonely alien knew enough to HIDE IN THE ONLY BLOODY ESCAPE POD LEFT!!!!!! Now I'm not sure about you collective intelligence people out there, but that seems kinda.........smart to me.

Exactly what I'd expect a stealthy, cunning critter to do: hide. Not all that unlike a Trap-Door Spider, really.

And Tyranids would revert back to their instincts without the presense of a hive mind. This sometimes made them even more dangerous rather than making them completely defenseless. The only hive-mind I've ever seen that was destroyed by taking out the Queen was in Ender's Game.

Also.......in no shape or form do we know how the Aliens think, aside from survival which is all we have seen them strive to do. Honestly I think I might like to see an Alien home movie, you know, Thanksgiving at the Queens house. Roast human and Predator on the table with all the workers and Face huggers pulled up. I think something like that would give us a better understanding about the.....Alien.

See aforementioned Wikipedia article. Info on their history and background was never really expanded upon.

I'll rent AvP as soon as i get off this machine...

Predators and Aliens both are at the mercy of the dummies we call hollywood scripswriters...check and see!

if written with sense, Predators would generally rate 7 in combat power scale, 10 in tech scale, 5 in tactics, and 6 in mobility (+5 if using vehicles). they would have less numbers and would be able to easily switch from silent killer to ba'a$$ combatant. their tech covers their weakness. i would hate ranged combat with one of these guy's in a war setting.

Aliens would have less stats, but greater yowch. They'd be a 8 in combat power, 0 in tech, 3 in tactics (+2 with a Queen), and 7 in mobility. they are lethal after death and have better stealth skill. they absolutely suck at ranged combat, and i would only fear them in war if i was in trench warfare, house-to-house, or vietnamish conditions. on an open field, give a marine a M240 and two bags of spare and he will see to 20+ of their deaths at 100-50 yds or so...

humans have 5 in their stats, but are ingenious lil' suckers that breed like rabbits and have a habit of giving their soldiers the most lethal crap they can when fighting very bad dudes. i'm also willing to bet that in open warfare humans would be able to take Predators on a 3 to 1 ratio and win...barring an experienced general of the predators doesn't show up and make it rain pain....

Then again, i would fear a proper predator military...tanks, gunships, dropships, full body armor, disciplined squads using group tactics....*shudder*

I'll rent AvP as soon as i get off this machine...

Predators and Aliens both are at the mercy of the dummies we call hollywood scripswriters...check and see!

if written with sense, Predators would generally rate 7 in combat power scale, 10 in tech scale, 5 in tactics, and 6 in mobility (+5 if using vehicles). they would have less numbers and would be able to easily switch from silent killer to ba'a$ combatant. their tech covers their weakness. i would hate ranged combat with one of these guy's in a war setting.

Aliens would have less stats, but greater yowch. They'd be a 8 in combat power, 0 in tech, 3 in tactics (+2 with a Queen), and 7 in mobility. they are lethal after death and have better stealth skill. they absolutely suck at ranged combat, and i would only fear them in war if i was in trench warfare, house-to-house, or vietnamish conditions. on an open field, give a marine a M240 and two bags of spare and he will see to 20+ of their deaths at 100-50 yds or so...

humans have 5 in their stats, but are ingenious lil' suckers that breed like rabbits and have a habit of giving their soldiers the most lethal crap they can when fighting very bad dudes. i'm also willing to bet that in open warfare humans would be able to take Predators on a 3 to 1 ratio and win...barring an experienced general of the predators doesn't show up and make it rain pain....

Then again, i would fear a proper predator military...tanks, gunships, dropships, full body armor, disciplined squads using group tactics....*shudder*

Maybe they don't even have one? Who knows...

M.

I have a feeling that you guys are big big fans of Games Workshop. They are the ones that had cornered the market of collective intelligence.

Um...no. Hive mind came more into focus with Robert Heinlein and Starship Troopers. Not just my opinion, fandom agrees with me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenomorph_%28Alien%29

I think that is crap when we speak of Aliens. Lest we not forget Alien the first, that only ever had One alien in it. If your collective theories have any spark of truth in them then it would mean that that little all on his stupid unthinking own would have curled up in a ball and waited for the ONLY thinking creature to come along and tell it what to do. But this is not the case. That little lonely alien knew enough to HIDE IN THE ONLY BLOODY ESCAPE POD LEFT!!!!!! Now I'm not sure about you collective intelligence people out there, but that seems kinda.........smart to me.

Exactly what I'd expect a stealthy, cunning critter to do: hide. Not all that unlike a Trap-Door Spider, really.

And Tyranids would revert back to their instincts without the presense of a hive mind. This sometimes made them even more dangerous rather than making them completely defenseless. The only hive-mind I've ever seen that was destroyed by taking out the Queen was in Ender's Game.

Also.......in no shape or form do we know how the Aliens think, aside from survival which is all we have seen them strive to do. Honestly I think I might like to see an Alien home movie, you know, Thanksgiving at the Queens house. Roast human and Predator on the table with all the workers and Face huggers pulled up. I think something like that would give us a better understanding about the.....Alien.

See aforementioned Wikipedia article. Info on their history and background was never really expanded upon.

My friend, Starship troopers came out far after GW released the Tyranids. And did you notice the similarities between the two army compositions? Of course you did. I'm not saying that they director of that movie stole the ideas brought about by the GW crew, I'm just saying that they have a whole lot in common, and the move did come out almost fifteen years after the release of the Tyranid army.

Also, you failed to site that the Alien hid in the escape pod when the ship was set to self destruct. If it was as dumb as everyone clams he would have hidden in an air shaft on the exploding ship still waiting for the queen to give him orders. He knew what time of day it was, and hauled arse to the last ship with an in flight meal.

Wow. Heinlein died a year after 40K was originally released in October 1987. He had written STroopers in the late 50's, almost 30 years before Tyranids. The movie was out in 1997, which was 10 years after 40K.

Hive intelligence was a staple of Speculative Fiction decades before Games Workshop.

Just saw Predator 2. Now I know that Predators and Aliens do fight outside of the AvP movie.

M.

And the Preds have been hunting humans for a couple hundred years at least...

Depends on how you view "challenge"

If you mean something that could easily kill you, then no, humans aren't that much of a challenge (compared to the Xenomorph)

If you mean something that is crafty and capable of devising new ways to get away: then perhaps.

I think the key is "hunt" It implies a lack of ability on the prey's end.

it did, maetey...Starship Troopers novel is HIGHLY RECOMMENDABLE and puts that 'crap' movie to shame. read it. NOW! ::):

saw AVP...somewhat overrated in style (dungeon crawl?), but of high notch quality production and action. the music sucked, and i didn't care when most of the characters died...except the combative gal who compared her gun to a condom...why did she have to bite it so lamely?...i hope her hatchling ended up being the cool one who offed two P's...

on the bright side: KILLER action, lance hendriksen, and oddly, i found the main charcater endearing...

notes:

**the Queen, though equipped with a tail-stabber, cannot hit anything worth sh!t unless it is a large target standing still....

**Why Do the Predators in this one walk about like a bunch of vato's, huh? in pred 1, the thing was a slinky tiger-lizard supreme, both stealthy and combatant-capable. here, they be brutes, who cloak and stand up above you to get stealthy. i saw multiple ways to slink in that dungeon: the ceilings were textured, they had high trim in most rooms, they had drop-ways for aliens, why not yourself? etc, etc, etc...

"Dick Marcinko, you have extraterrestials to train in camp 4..."

nifty shuriken, though

**though i give props to the checker-scarred alien, she is no god of war. Kratos could so eat her for lunch. All she did was take advantage of a dumba$$, and proceed to get into protracted combat with an equal opponent. that last fight was sixes, roll a dice to see who wins...OOP! alien gets it, yea! she earned that victory scream, she did not walk up and take it.

her biggest iota was being the smarted of the bugs...and she looked cool with the scar...

i also swore that in one frame, she leapt onto the rear of the upward shooting sled, but in the next frames, she not there...did she miss? steal the predator cloak? is she hiding?

Nuke BBQ.

As far as a predator military, i suppose this...the pred's we see are billy bob and hank joe out on their hunting trips. Somewhere out there, Civilized Predators following high commands orders, wear better armor, carry better weapons, and do better things than d!cking around with acidy bug swarms and these pink-and-brown things that can't really fight

if all the predators are is a race of trophy hunters, then i'll feel sorry for them when a real galactic menace comes along.

they get to be tribes in the face of the Spanish Armada.

heh.

Well, since we really know, on the whole, jack about the Predator's, there is alot of stuff to speculate.

For one, without their helmets, they seem to see in red or blue tones (Ped 1 and 2 respectively). That means that they're not likely to be the dominate members of their race, as they would not be able to properly "see" things well enough to design things such as circuitry or things of that nature. I'm wondering if the Predators we see fighting are some sort of "slave" soldier, and those hunting trips are how you get from "grunt" to "captain" or something?

M.

EDIT: Aliens rocked! So many things in StarCraft where inspired by that, plus other video games I can name...