Ordering Reaper from RAFM

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Support your FLGS! IF they don't stick around, we run out of places to play and draw other people into our obsession/hobby. If the F of the FLGS is accurate, you should ask them to order you the figures you want as a special/custom order. Most stores that properly deserve the F of FLGS will do this for you, especially if they already carry the line, and just don't have the specific item you want.

I have ordered from RAFM multiple times. It gets here (the US) in a reasonable time, and they haven't messed up an order yet. I would order from them again.

Yes, I would buy them locally, if they were sold locally. Two shops have come and gone, one was badly managed and no amount of purchases would have saved it, and the other had problems with their landlord (again, not sales related) that forced them out.

I have ordered from RAFM multiple times. It gets here (the US) in a reasonable time, and they haven't messed up an order yet. I would order from them again.

I've ordered from them once. I wouldn't again, if I could help it. It took about a month for the package to arrive, after three attempts to contact them to find out if it had gotten lost. They certainly were not quick to respond, though they were friendly enough when they did.

My problem is that the local hobby shop (which stocks RAFM) acts like they don't know how to order more of it when you ask them. It's a distributor problem, I guess, but how they get so much of it in the first place is beyond me.

online is really the only way for me to go, but today, decided to travel 60 miles east to my F"L"GS & pick up the latest Dungeon Magazine + a couple minis & some paint. Just didn't want to online order that this time.

RM

I've actually met Mr. Schaik (the man behind RAFM). Nice guy and he was really responsive with some emails I had sent him prior to meeting him. (I was ordering some stuff that I would pick up at a con held by my FLGS - at the request of the owner of said FLGS)...

Anyhow - I would say there should be no issues... YMMV of course - as he is practically down the street from me :poke: .

They also have some pretty neat stuff under Call of the Cthulu line... No CAV though.

I've had several orders through RAFM, and no problems. It's a good way for me to get bits of both lines in one order.

However, the RAFM selection of Reaper products is slender.

They do not, for example, sell master series triads.

Nor brushes.

Nor putty.

Nor do they offer all of the Dark Heaven line.

It's those facts that keep me from ordering more from them, and I wind up coming here to fill out my needs.

I have no FLGS to support because they dumped Reaper in favour of GW. I haven't been there since.

As a proud supporter of my FLGS, so much so that I became a partner in it's ownership, I can't stress enough that your support, by purchase or simply moral support, is always appreciated. I still wince when I hear about people ordering from online vendors rather than a brick and mortar storefront.

If your FLGS won't order Reaper Miniatures for you through their distribution channels, order direct from Reaper. Don't feed the internet monsters if you can help it when it comes to things your local gaming store, favorite or not, could carry.

Things to remember about special orders at your FLGS:

- Some stores have a minimum order requirement

The store I used to go to as a kid required that you order $10 or more, but other stores may have a higher minimum

- It may take time.

A lot of stores try their hardest to take advantage of their distributors free or reduced shipping rates. For the distributor that I order Reaper through, I have to place $300 minimum order which can be quite the challenge. Nothing says frustration like trying to think of something for $5 after rattling off a list of over 30 miniatures (by number no less) to avoid the $20+ shipping charge. Check in occasionally with your FLGS to see if your order has arrived, and if they call you be prompt in picking it up.

- A down payment/full payment may be required

Even if your store doesn't do special orders, offering to pay part or all of the cost of your order in advance may cause the idea that ordering for you is a good plan. A lot of stores require a percentage of the total as down payment just in case you don't come back. This cuts their losses on what they might not be able to sell otherwise.

Well I try to buy from my FLGS as much as possible but like many hobby stores their selection is always thin. I've tried special ordering things but they never end up ordering them because order never reaches their minimum. I order a lot from Miniaturemarket.com they don't have a huge selection but they will special order and in stock items are shipped the day you order.

I would love to order from Reaper but they are too expensive compared to everyone else online. Rainy day games isn't cheap but they literally have everyting. They have stuff Reaper doesn't even have anymore.

I ebay a lot. Over the two months I have doubled my Warlord collection from ebay. I have spent $130 and got two Reaper Army Cases, about 75 Warlord figures and 11 CAVs. The cases and CAVs alone had price tags for $215 and the Warlord figs would be about $300 retail.

Ordering online is often more than simply a money saver for some people, many don't live in cities or towns big enough to have a quality gaming shop. Many people don't support a local gaming shop because they don't like the store itself. In my home town in Canada, despite it being roughly a million people, we don't have a gaming store that I feel is worth supporting, in fact I'd love to see several of the local store go belly up to make room for others. Here in Australia, a monopoly largely exists in the import of reaper minis, as such they end up being as expensive as GW minis, I won't support a monopoly, nor pay unreasonable prices.

Should Reaper decide to contract out to a someone in Australia the rights to produce their minis over here I would support the local market, until then I'll continue to buy online. I've seen far more LGS that I'd prefer not to buy from than I have FLGS I enjoy going to. Every time someone asks about buying online, people question their motives, surely their entitled to ask for information and advice without lectures on the gaming industry. If a FLGS running its business properly and treating its customers well then it will stay in business, it's not any easy industry to be in I know, but there are alot of people who own such businesses who shouldn't, and I won't support them. I'll stand up and put my money where my mouth is and pay full retail, when you show me a FLGS in my area that can reliably get me the minis I want, in the time from I want them, and in a friendly manner that makes it a pleasure to buy from them.

I don't cringe when I see someone buying online, I cringe when I walk into a gaming store and am asked to pay unreasonable prices, or I am treated rudely, ignored while staff play games or have their head buried in a book, or I am told that it is impossible to order what I want. Bad experiences are as much to blame for choosing Online retail over Brick and Mortar in my opinion.

Maybe I'm ranting, but I was curious to see peoples opinion of RAFM when it was brought up, and suddenly the thread was high-jacked and turned into a 'don't buy online' discussion. So I'll high-jack it too and say, don't let people guilt you into buying locally, if you'd prefer to buy online (whatever your reasons or motives).

Ordering online is often more than simply a money saver for some people, many don't live in cities or towns big enough to have a quality gaming shop. Many people don't support a local gaming shop because they don't like the store itself. In my home town in Canada, despite it being roughly a million people, we don't have a gaming store that I feel is worth supporting, in fact I'd love to see several of the local store go belly up to make room for others. Here in Australia, a monopoly largely exists in the import of reaper minis, as such they end up being as expensive as GW minis, I won't support a monopoly, nor pay unreasonable prices.

I think I know which ones you are talking about S.E.! Of late, they are seeing less business IMO, as there are several smaller stores in the region now (each one seems to concentrate on a few games and product primarily however). Not a perfect solution to be sure, but better than it has been since the 80s! Still can't find Reaper paints (either Pro or MS) in town either... it's Vallejo or GW. :(

As for the RAFM thing, their website seems to be on again/off again as well. THere hasn't been any new product on it in forever (that I can tell anyway). Some of those minis I purchased years ago! Gives me new and give me more RAFM!