What kind of lighting do you use for painting at night?

I need to get some better lighting since the lighting I have now casts too much of a shadow on my mini's. Do most of you use multiple light sources to eliminate shadows? I'm looking for some less expensive options instead of the OTT-Lite recommended on the craft page here. Thanks a lot.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the same lighting at night as I do during the day. In fact, painting in daylight screws me up.

I have 3 daylight flourescent lamps that I use. Multiple lights to eliminate shadows, and the flourescents are much cooler than incandescent bulbs.

What I use is a "spider" lamp set up behind me with natural light floressents in them, (you can get them at any store that Sells GE light bulbs) and a swing arm lamp with a magnifying glass and a smaller natural light bulb instead of a standard bulb. The Desk lamp I use is the same one shown here.

OttLites are very good lights.

But, they're not necessary if you want to save a bit. Just get a standard lamp (or two) and then put in a daylight fluorescent bulb (from Lowe's or Home Depot) in it. Will probably be good enough for most folks.

Ron

I have an Ott-Light (the small one) that I got on sale for 50% off. If you watch sale ads for local fabric and craft stores, you can get really good deals on those lights.

I also have a swing-arm lamp with a magnifier, plus the overhead light, and if I need more lights, we have about four clamp lights hanging around. The more lights you have coming from different directions, the better.

And people are correct. Get cool-burning daylight style lights. I have found that using normal lights (even the Ott) can get so hot that my paint tends to dry too fast on the palette. I also do not like to get sweat in my paint. :blink:

I use an Ott bulb ($20 for the flourescent bulb) in a crane arm style lamp. I also have halogen lights on tracks on the ceiling, and they are pointed right where I need them. I like having a bit of shadow so I can see where highlights will fall.

I have a fluorescent desk lamp on the left, and an incandescent desklamp on the right.

I find some colors/shading easier to see under one vs. the other and a little lean left or right gives me the light I need.

I also find that having the incandescent helps reduce eye fatigue or headaches from the fluorescent.

I have a couple of cheap desk lamps from Wal-Mart. I recently switched from the GE Reveal bulbs to a daylight florescent because of the heat. I like the new bulbs alot- they seem to be brighter than the Reveal bulbs, lots cooler too. I also have overhead lighting in the room that is also daylight florescent bulbs.

4 lamps minimum. I find that my work and accuracy suffers without 'em. Daylight Fluorescents, the kind that do the color w/the gas vs. a coating (you'll get funky dueling colors if it's done w/a filter coating that adjusts the spectrum). Sometimes I keep an incandescent nearby, but I won't do this again until the summer is over.

Of course, if you are in a cool area, using an incandescent Reveal bulb may help yer heating costs :poke:

The bulbs I use for painting are about $9 US at Home Depot. I think they're Commercial Electric brand (SKU #772-429, Model EDXO-18/19). 19w fluorescents -- 3 of them: one from the right, one over my left shoulder, one from the front in cheapo aluminum fixtures from Wally World. The bulbs are rated 6500K color temp. I use them for both painting and photography.

OTT Lights are a complete waste of money IMHO.

The bulbs I use for painting are about $9 US at Home Depot. I think they're Commercial Electric brand (SKU #772-429, Model EDXO-18/19). 19w fluorescents -- 3 of them: one from the right, one over my left shoulder, one from the front in cheapo aluminum fixtures from Wally World. The bulbs are rated 6500K color temp. I use them for both painting and photography.

OTT Lights are a complete waste of money IMHO.

Just out of curriosity, Whiz, how large are those bulbs? I currently use daylight incandescents in my lamps. I'd love to use florescent, but they won't fit in the lamps. Just wondering if what you use is more of a normal lightbulp size.

I have two magnifying lamps, one on each side of the table. I also have florescent bulbs in my overhead fixture (it is a ceiling van, so there is lots of room for bulbs.) I have other lamps, but find that two with the overhead is sufficient.

Every once in a while, I have to take the mini away from the table lamps and look at it with light coming from a single direction, so I can re-orient how the shadows would fall "outside". Otherwise, my highlighting just never works out.