What kind of lighting do you use for painting at night?

I had a cat for a while as a temporary, and she got curious one day and sent minis and supplies flying.

My solution was to jump up and down, hooting and hollering like some mad jungle pygmy, whereupon I dashed after her and chased her into hiding.

Faced with the choice between strange-dancing-howling-human or human-who-gives-treats-and-scratches the cat decided to steer clear of that area and behave.

Sometimes all you gotta do is disconcert 'em a little.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes all you gotta do is disconcert 'em a little.

Depends. One of ours is dumb as a brick. I use a squirt bottle on him, but like Wren's cat he just screws up his face and waits for it rather than running. He's so stupid there is no way to instill fear in him.

This is all too funny. Maybe we should start another thread - cat terrors. Does anyone have problems with a dog? All mine does is lie on the floor and snore when I paint.

My Dog does this. I love my Dog

I won't get into My Husbands Cats, they arn't mine I'm allergic to them. I will just say in Short I Hate the male cat, he has cost me over 3k in two years in damageds to furniture rugs and cloths. But they HATE the compressed air to the point all I have to to is pick up the can or mimic the noise and they scoot Quick.

Complete and Utter Thred Jack.

• Artists
This is all too funny. Maybe we should start another thread - cat terrors. Does anyone have problems with a dog? All mine does is lie on the floor and snore when I paint.

That's mostly what mine does, but he does occasionally startle me half to death by jumping up and wanting to go out and bark at something when he's having a territorial moment. I haven't goofed up a paint job from it yet, but I figure it's just a matter of time. And then five minutes later he disrupts me wanting to get back in again.

I find our pets are crafty in their capacity to annoy, as sometimes they tag-team us, other times they divide up the labour. Like they tag-team front door escapes and bothering humans who are watching TV, but the cat is in charge of disrupting painting and the dog is in charge of disrupting sleep.

My dog just puts his front legs up on my chair and whines until I put down my brush and pick him up.

Sometimes he'll just stand on the computer chair and look at me.

He doesn't really support my painting, he mainly supports giving him lots of attention.

Think I'll take a look at getting some different light bulbs now that I've claimed a victory over my felines. I got to paint at home last night for the first time since the two terrors moved in.

Started a thread in Off-Topic Rampancy to tell the story of my hard-won victory over the Evil Ones, the cat terrors thread is a neat idea :B):

Just a little update on this. I went to Home Depot to pick up a reserve supply of bulbs as this thread had me thinking about them. I discovered that Commercial Electric brand may have become "N:Vision" or something like that. These N:Vision bulbs appear to be exactly the same kind as the Commercial Electric, right down to the print on the bulb. Anyhow, they offer a range of fluorescents across the color spectrum. The boxes are clearly marked with a visual icon indicating where within the yellow, white, and blue range the bulb falls. They only difference I've found is that there no longer seems to be a bulb at 6500K. The closest is 5500K, which is more white (slightly) and all right by me.

And the bulbs are a bit cheaper now. About $6 each. Go get some! ::D:

I wasn't able to find the compact florescents you described, but then I went to Lowe's, not Home Depot. I did find Sylvania Compact Craft Florescents. They are 13 watts, meant to replace 60 watt bulbs. Probably not as bright as what you suggested, but I have an additional large florescent to "flood" my work area.

These are really cool! I'm not as hot while painting and my colors look so much clearer. Thanks for the tip, Whiz.

i used a moveable flourescent lamp and normally placed it directly over my painting area. i find that is normally sufficient for me just that one lamp although for final finishing i like to do it in daylight.much more pleasant. ::):