Housecleaning

Paintrix

Jen,

I'm so envious of your talen when it comes to painting. It was because of you that I wanted to become a better painter. I remember falling onto your site with pictures of your minis and thought, "wow, I want to paint like that" and two years later I've made decent progress.

Anyway, I always love looking at your work. It's absolutely amazing!

Meg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jen,

I'm so envious of your talen when it comes to painting. It was because of you that I wanted to become a better painter. I remember falling onto your site with pictures of your minis and thought, "wow, I want to paint like that" and two years later I've made decent progress.

Awww. :blush: Well, you can be my Handmaiden of Doom, and rule my domain when some other painter's rabid fanboy goes nuts and assassinates me. And my mother was scrolling through the thumbnails of the ReaperCon pics a few weeks ago while I talked to her:

'So are you going to send me any con pictures? I've been going through the forum to find some.'

'Sorry, Mom. I don't think there's any of me up anyway.'

'Yes, there is. You have a coffee cup and you're licking your brush like you always do. Did you get new glasses?'

*Jen makes connection*

'Mom, that's not me. Click on the thumbnail...'

And as you seem to be at least as depraved as I am, I think it's only fitting... :lol:

--Jen

Well, if Mom wants pictures, we can certainly make sure she receives pictures of her baby from Gen Con. Mengu? Can we add that to the Photography list? *Pictures of Jen for her mother.

Jen, you might even convince Mengu to doctor them up so you aren't doing anything that would get you in trouble with Mom. ;-)

Jen,

Awww. :blush: Well, you can be my Handmaiden of Doom, and rule my domain when some other painter's rabid fanboy goes nuts and assassinates me. And my mother was scrolling through the thumbnails of the ReaperCon pics a few weeks ago while I talked to her:

'So are you going to send me any con pictures? I've been going through the forum to find some.'

'Sorry, Mom. I don't think there's any of me up anyway.'

'Yes, there is. You have a coffee cup and you're licking your brush like you always do. Did you get new glasses?'

*Jen makes connection*

'Mom, that's not me. Click on the thumbnail...'

And as you seem to be at least as depraved as I am, I think it's only fitting... :lol:

--Jen

Hey, Meg, dinni tell ya she was cool? ::):

**Loud SCRAPE of a Soap Box being pulled into the middle of the floor**

Ahem.

It isn't Jen's brushwork that I love so much, though it is amazing. Face it, there are LOTS of people out there with amazing brush work.

What I love is the way she uses color and conversion to bring her own unique vision to each miniature she paints. You can look at example after example of the minis she's painted and see where she has made changes that make each one a unique creation, not just the stock mini with a nice paint job.

Like her Jolie, where she's taken the horns off the familiar. Makes it so cute! Or the witch she did, where she put on panties instead of a g-string. Or Lysette, where that akward looking sword has been removed.

Her Burbon Street Sophie with different wings, peaking out from behind the lamp post. Her way of painting "not black". It's all so very cool, there is so much to learn just from looking at these pieces.

Thank-you.

Seriously .. the Alexia fig first time Ive ever seen it and I showed it to the wife. She says "where did she put the batteries". It seriously takes me a few minutes of looking at it to convince myself that its not really lit up.

If only one day I can do stuff like this....

lw

What I love is the way she uses color and conversion to bring her own unique vision to each miniature she paints.

Bingo! She's stepped from hobby into fine art.

One of the few who can take it there, and without a doubt has helped to elevate the hobby into an artform.

Whenever I've painted a piece that has gone to a collector who owns and displays a Jen Haley painted miniature, it's a notch in my cap figuratively speaking, and always a mark of pride.

Whenever that's happened I say, "That cat told me he owns a Jen Haley, and compared my mini to hers" or "Sweet, he showed me private photos of the Jen Haley pieces he has!"

Definately the high water marks in my days painting these little figurines. Any and all accolades that may be passed out, one of the highest standards of praise is to be mentioned in the same breath as J. Haley here when comparing painted pieces. Someone who literally set the standard, forging a new way of painting miniatures in such a high contrast, stylistic amd artistic manner. Works of her's going back as far (further?) than '03 displaying a level of expertise that would still be considered cutting edge today, four years later.

One last thing, regarding the "fine art" aspect of painting these miniatures, I can't discern a difference between the techniques that fine artist's use to paint their masterpieces in oil, or sculpt their pieces in water clays then cast them in bronze, the traditional notion of the fine arts, or the methods that the top miniature painters and sculptor's employ to bring about their own works of fine art in miniature. Some of the top quality expertly (and artistically) crafted miniature scale figures in either their painted or sculpted forms can be truly magnificent pieces of art to behold in their own right and are not discernible from fine art under the closet scrutiny. Where is the difference between taking a brush in hand, or a sculpting tool and pushing pigment or medium around to achieve line, form, beauty and sublime features in full scale or in miniature scale?

The main difference being in the scale obviously, which in essence, makes the technical aspect of the creative process that much more precise and "fine" of an artform literally. Something to think about. SO much of art lies in the technical, the application...that developing and refining techniques such as Jen Haley has done, to overcome the limitations of scale is definately an achievement in it's own right, not to mention expressing her talents years before the mainstream of high quality painters would even catch up to her.

Cheers to a painter who came along and set a milestone in the artform that we all must hold ourselves to. *Hat's off*

*Goes back to the woodshed*

Here here Darkstar! I would never have know I could take my painting further without Jen. Really, I owe her any talent I may have developed, and she continues to be a huge inspiration with every piece I see. I think I'll build a shrine :lol:

Back in 2005, my wife and I got to go to ReaperCon. I stood behind you and watched you paint and learned so much by just watching what you were doing. I asked a few questions (and even got an autograph) and really learned that i had so much more to learn. Your work is truely an insperation.

I believe it was your 2002 Golden Demon that brought me back to minis. I had, up to that moment, never even conceived of game pieces painted to that level. You've been an inspiration ever since.

In effect...it's all your fault :lol:

Since that time, I've discovered a whole new world. I thank you!

Bravo.

-AW

Jen, I can also blame you for most of my painting figmentia.

* whisper * * whisper *

Hmm? Oh, sorry.

:blush:

All jokes aside, Jen, you were (and continue to be) the original inspiration for me, the Gold Standard for creativity, technical skills and thinking outside the box. Ask mini painters to name a favorite, the reason they decided to 'take it to the next level', and your name is very often at the top of the list. It was first your web page and tutorials that brought me back to the hobby.

At Gen Con '05, it was you and Anne who convinced me to slow down collecting dust on unpainted pewter and instead commit to the 'next level' in the hobby. The two of you ganged up on me and I was doomed, with no chance of recovery....errr...doing it again, aren't I? I was voluntarily hooked, and knew I had to pursue it further. I have a long way to go, and I continue to learn slowly, but I am still enjoying the hobby and making progress, which is the real key, for me. So, thank you for sharing your time & talent, pics on CMON, teaching, coaching and all.

YAY! I'm Jen's Handmaiden of Doom! Woohoo!

That is pretty funny about your mom. Mel just notified me about that and I had to respond.

I guess we look/act very similar? Now all I need to do is sap your painting talent so I can paint my minis like you! muahahaha :devil: