Help With Thinned Master Paints!

Wow, Jen, I'm going to have to tell Blake about that technique. He's the guy I told you about with the "Got Soap?" T-Shirt. That's how he preps his minis to paint them.

PTF: Vilmon looks pretty cool. I know it is frustrating to change the style of painting you've been using so long. It is a new skill set and something you have to master. On the other hand, because you have so much experience painting minis, you already have very fine muscle control. I've worked with a lot of painters just like you who adopt new techniques after years of "bottle top" painting. It is so cool to see how rapidly they progress once they start using thinned paint techniques.

Keep going, man, and we look forward to seeing your work.

I like the way the off-white armor looks now. You've got some nice definition to it and it looks very smooth. Have you thought about highlighting the red a little more? Try adding a little orange to the highlight you have now.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worked with a lot of painters just like you who adopt new techniques after years of "bottle top" painting. It is so cool to see how rapidly they progress once they start using thinned paint techniques.

Perhaps Derek Schubert will kindly tell us how many years he painted out of the bottle lids. Anne and I were horrified. And disbelieving, even as we watched him do it. Of course, when he finally broke the awful habit, he did go from having just some people hate him, to having everyone hate him. So there are some drawbacks. :devil:

--Jen

I used to paint straight from the lids with Testors paint, Polly-S, and a couple of odd-ball brands I don't remember. I think I still have some of them. :unsure: There was one metallic red I adored. It was like the RMS Red Clear Bright, but a lot darker and with metallic flakes. It was beautiful for dragonscales.

:down:

Yes, I was one of the dreaded PaintLidPainters. At least I learned to prime my minis beforehand... eventually.

I learned one thing, though. You cannot take black, glossy spray primer and try to spray it into a dish and expect to use a brush to paint it on. That was a disaster (I didn't have any other black paint). And yes, the dish was ruined.

I used toothpicks to put black dots for eyes on my minis, but never painted the whites.

I discovered drybrushing on my own, back in 1989 or something like that. After that, I was using that technique a LOT. Okay, so I overused it. :rolleyes:

I didn't discover water-based acrylics, really, until I picked up Reaper Pro Paints and was like "COOL!! No more turpentine!" :lol:

I'm still grappling with thinned paints.

For many years I used Tamiya colors (no primer, straight from the lid) with a sewing pin for details. Yes, they looked as atrocious as it sounds. An entire army of orange-tinged warriors with shocked looks on their faces, facing off against gigantic cheesie-looking (as in they looked like cheesies) giants and army olive dragons.

I bought the 3 learn to paint kits, and it changed my world. Though I'm still highlight-shy. I just can't bring myself to go really light. I also hate, hate, HATE working with reds. Reds are evil.

I've also had tremendous difficulty with the fleshtone triads (though it's slowly coming together).

White Primer is a lifesaver. I love it. I use the brush-on kind because I lack a suitable spray area most of the year. All my spray dullcoating takes place in spring and summer, when all the winter paintjobs get coated.

I don't recall getting any swag points on my paint kits, though. I still have the packs.

The best way I've learned to check if my paints are thinned right is from John's "How Not To Suck" class. *

I thin my paint in my ceramic palatte and then drag it up the side. I can judge from the vertical paint how well it is going to cover.

* Everyone should take this class at least once. Honestly! It's that good.

Yeah, and that guy doesn't even use a proper palette.

Yeah, well, Theirry Husser told me he used old CD's.

I don't recall getting any swag points on my paint kits, though. I still have the packs.

You're looking for cardboard tabs on the sides of the boxes. I think the old LTP kit swag was 5 points, but it's been a while. If you are talking the new blister packs, it should be at the top of the card on the back.

* Everyone should take this class at least once. Honestly! It's that good.

If it's available on the interent, sure.

Man I hate where I live.

Now, on another not, I'd really love to get the learn to paint kits, but if I understand, new ones are coming out.

I'd rather wait for the new ones, unless they are still a far way off.

Well folks, I'll be starting work on one of my Warmachine units tomorrow, we shall see how it goes, but as they are a regular unit I will hardly be putting forward the effort I would with a solo or a display piece.

Now, since that comes from Privateer Press, I figured I would also start work on one of the Reaper minis I got my grubby hands on, so I'd be able to have something to show off on the forum.

I'll be starting work on the 54mm Monique DuNoir.

Let's hope I don't screw her up too bad, but at least I will be able to post pictures of her and get some feedback.

I've worked with a lot of painters just like you who adopt new techniques after years of "bottle top" painting. It is so cool to see how rapidly they progress once they start using thinned paint techniques.

Perhaps Derek Schubert will kindly tell us how many years he painted out of the bottle lids. Anne and I were horrified. And disbelieving, even as we watched him do it. Of course, when he finally broke the awful habit, he did go from having just some people hate him, to having everyone hate him. So there are some drawbacks. :devil:

--Jen

Well, one of my intended converts is a fellow who won a Golden Demon "Back in the Day" when dry-brushing was the highest form of art. He says now he's too old, his eyes are too bad, and the rest of us (me included, I guess) have left him behind. But he keeps hanging out and looking at what others are doing, so maybe I'll get to him yet.