Windows Media Extension

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Super Administrators

Dude, I just booted into Windows for you. That's how dedicated I am to this forum.

Anyway, running the latest IE 6 with security patches, I can't recreate a windows media plugin prompt.

Firefox comes up with nothing for me, either. If you figure something out, please let me know.

kit

I'm running Windows XP (Tablet PC version, Service Pack 2, all current patches).

In Firefox (current version), no worries and no messages.

In IE7 (all current patches), going to the Reaper home page, I do get a "This website wants to run the following add-on: 'Windows Media Player Extension'" message. I do have Norton Internet Security 2007 installed.

In Opera 9.21, no worries and no messages.

Weird...

Ron

Dude, I just booted into Windows for you. That's how dedicated I am to this forum.

Now there's some love!!! ::D:

I'm running IE7 (7.0.5730.11) on this box. The message I receive from IE7's pop-up blocker specifically reads "This website wants to run the following add=on: 'Windows Media Player Extension' from 'Microsoft Corporation'. If you trust the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here..."

I don't get this on any other websites, but I do get it on EVERY Reaper page. This started today. I've never seen it before. I did not patch/update or anything prior to coming online.

• Super Administrators

ah ha! I got it. Dang IE7...

I installed a plugin in our tracking system to see if users had Quicktime or not. The clue for all Reaper sites was the tip-off there, thanks.

Apparently, to check with IE7 gives it a hissy, which is what you're seeing. I disabled the extension and sent a bug report to the developers. Sorry for the alarm.

Now, if this wasn't it, please let me know. But I'm pretty sure it is.

kit

• Super Administrators

If nobody is seeing this behavior on IE 7 anymore, I'm thinking it was that tracking extension and not something nefarious.