DBlagg

New Elven Cards

A good part of my problem with the whole thing is that IMO little to no thought was put into it.

A dragon with only 6 tracks, come on!

A dragon compared to the normal models would have at a minimum twice that many tracks.

Dragons are just nigh invincible, its just not realistic.

Sorry, but to me that's just stupid.

It had to be balanced for gameplay. It's not much different than the other models in it's point range - which includes a Demon and a Hydra. Both of those should be nigh invincible, too - but if they were, the game wouldn't be much fun.

It seems like the elves excel at pretty much everything, as well as most of the other factions now being completed whereas factions like the Necros and Crusaders are being left in the dust.

My view of it was that they were trying to catch the Elves, dwarves and some of the other factions up to the Crusaders and Necropolis. You know, the factions that didn't have 35+ models. I was also under the impression that a lot of this was being playtested before we were made aware of it.

I was also under the impression that a lot of this was being playtested before we were made aware of it.

Bingo!

The elves aren't the end all in magic they are good but no better than most, having two faction spells that have mirror common spells is hardly overpowering. Most factions have somebody that is fairly equal to the dragon.

I think elves are very hard to win with because you actually have to have a plan and be able to use your range and speed to counter low DV and fewer damage tracks.

[MOD]Let's try not to pile on too much folks. Everyone is entitled to their opinions over the changes. Not everyone will be thrilled with all of them.[/MOD]

I know I am certainly jealous of a few of the new toys, but then again, I also happened to have my two primary armies complete since the first couple Faction books, so I have no right to complain, since people were jealous of some of my toys back then too.

Like with every new Faction book, there is going to be something that someone is going to think is just insanely overpowered and unbeatable, because they have never faced it, and it just kicks their butt six ways to Sunday. And there will be four or five other people that are like "Yeah, that killed me too!" There was a lot of playtesting done. Is there a chance that something may have slipped through? Yes. Part of testing is to try and out munkin the munchkins and out lawyer the rules lawyers and break Bruce Willis (remember, he was Unbreakable). It's not foolproof, but we all try to do the absolute best we can. So, yeah, you will face a new Model that will make you drop your jaw, blow steam out of your collar and every other cartoon version of shock and anger. And then, take a breath, step back and work on some new strategies to cope with the change. Almost all of us are going to have to because many of these charges are quite significant.

One important thing to remember. Although Warlord is based on some pretty standard archetypes of the fantasy genre, Taltos and the continent of Adon is it's own unique world. Just because a critter in some settings is the be all, end all, does not mean it is the same thing in Adon. This is a fantasy world. If the game designers suddenly decide to say that the sky tastes purple, it's their perrogative to do so, although it would be silly, since the sky clearly tastes green and hot.

Kick the tires, have fun. If you decide to leave over this, sorry to see you go, and thanks for playing. If you change your mind, we'll keep a light on.

Lets put the torches and pitchforks down, drag out the tables and dice, download the Chronicles, and unite together to slaughter the [insert your most hated Faction] menace.

I currently nominate all Factions but Crusaders and Reven for intense hatred :lol:

Edited by Qwyksilver

Ok for those complaining Boo Hoo! Get over it! Ok I play Dark Spawn. Yes I love CP10 and then nerfing it to 12. My friend plays Mercenary Blade Sisters and so far we are tied one to one in wins. Once he got into B2B with me he ate my lunch. Cause elves like goblins are weedy. It is not a matter of which faction is better, but how you play the game. I hear this argument all the time that such and such is not balanced. I give the advice of the North Men in the 13th Warrior: "Grow Stronger."

I currently nominate all Factions but Crusaders and Reven for intense hatred :lol:

Too late, I have a serious grudge against your Reven already. Speaking of which, check your PM's for some fresh tauntage! Down with the greenskin rabble! Long live Thorgram Grimsteel!

On topic: My personal dislike is anything Vampire in this game. Just isn't cool the way they can eat my poor dead dwarves. But they're not unstoppable. I think part of the solution, for me and the vampires and you and the elven magic and dragons, is to build a force that can handle what is sent after it. Here's some guidelines I try to think of when I bring a list to a tournament, where I'm never quite sure what I'll face:

1) I need to be able to take down a high DV model: how?

2) I need to be able to withstand a swarm: how?

3) I need to be able to absorb damage: how?

The answer to 1 is typically by having at least one troop that has several high DV models backed up by Reach models. Sometimes the answer to 1 is by having a mage with high CP to bypass the high DV and knock the model down a few notches before I even apply an axe to it.

The answer to 2 is usually to have some numbers of my own, or to have solid warmaster models. It could also mean using defensive mages with Counterspell. I'll try to have at least one troop of cheaper models that I can use to hold back a swarm. Given that my main army is Dwarves, and given the recent changes, I'll probably be moving more in the warmaster direction in the future.

The answer to number 3 can be to use healing magic, or it can be adding magical armor, or simply taking high DV models of my own, that can withstand a few rounds of down and dirty fighting.

All that to say, if you think about those factors (and there's probably more to think about), you'll find you can be building some pretty solid armies that will have a reasonable chance of taking down any list that you come up against.

But sometimes I try something different, play a gamble, and build my lists this way: I ask myself, what combinations of models can become particularly devestating? Can I plan a withering assault in the first few turns of play that will leave my opponents army burning and bleeding, and incapable of putting up any real fight?

When I build armies this way, I'm putting all of my eggs in one basket. Either my gamble pays off and my opponents are left completely flat-footed, or their particular army build can easily brush aside my master plan and roll right over me.

These are things to keep in mind, especially when you find yourself getting stomped hard by a particular opponent. Ask yourself if your army lacks what it takes to kill something they have, and if it does lack that element, see about incorporating it into your future armies.

The Silver Dragon is oodles of points, and is on par with everything else that's in the same point ballpark.

A good part of my problem with the whole thing is that IMO little to no thought was put into it.

A dragon with only 6 tracks, come on!

A dragon compared to the normal models would have at a minimum twice that many tracks.

Sorry, but to me that's just stupid.

I'm sorry, I never thought of it that way. You're right. As a matter of fact, Dragons are pretty unrealistic creatures anyway. Don't you think the fact that there are Dragons flying around in this game is pretty stupid to begin with? These game designers have no sense. Who would want the miniature company that produces the best dragon miniatures to include a game balanced spell slinging Silver Dragon to lead an army?

I'm sorry, I never thought of it that way. You're right. As a matter of fact, Dragons are pretty unrealistic creatures anyway. Don't you think the fact that there are Dragons flying around in this game is pretty stupid to begin with? These game designers have no sense. Who would want the miniature company that produces the best dragon miniatures to include a game balanced spell slinging Silver Dragon to lead an army?

Me ME ME I would, I would!!!!!111one1!1!!!!!!1111

Who would want the miniature company that produces the best dragon miniatures to include a game balanced spell slinging Silver Dragon to lead an army?

I do too. But we all know that it belongs in the Reptus faction and not the Elves. Let them stick to their furry little woodlands creatures, and leave the scaleykind where they belong. :;):

~v

Who would want the miniature company that produces the best dragon miniatures to include a game balanced spell slinging Silver Dragon to lead an army?

I do too. But we all know that it belongs in the Reptus faction and not the Elves. Let them stick to their furry little woodlands creatures, and leave the scaleykind where they belong. :;):

~v

/me takes his proxied Brood Master and bounces it off Vince's noggin :poke:

Hush you, you're probably going to get something like Kyra and Lavawrath!

/me takes his proxied Brood Master and bounces it off Vince's noggin

If I can help it, I will have as many of those as WildBill does, his bears....

But the Broodmaster is a Unique Warlord. Not that I want to discourage anyone from buying an excessive amount of metal.

Are you talking about Gan Hor Warriors, Coatl, or plain ole Brood? The Brood are something scary to think about for certain.

I think just about everyone has had issues with the game during its changes at some point. The changes to the 1.2 cards, the second revamp of the data cards, the Chronicles. Reaper isn't trying to irk you they are trying to get a game out there with balanced rules, filled out factions, and a bit of variety. I think they done pretty darn good in the time frame that has been available. Is it going to be perfect? Not likely. There isn't going to be an answer that pleases every single person out there. The Darkspawn, Reptus, Elves, and Dwarves had fallen behind in the model race and it wasn't looking like they were going to be catching up any time soon. Gus and team came up with an answer that they playtested and fit in to the 2007 Chronicles and brought them back up on a level playing field. I've enjoyed finally having a wide selection of lizards to drop on the table.

Like everyone has said its always the newest army that surprises us and seems 'broken'. In some cases this is true, but you really can't tell until you've tried a few different lists against it. Just about every ability/skill/attack has a counter. Finding it isn't always easy or obvious but it out there. I do hope you give this one a chance and see if the Elves are as bad as you say or if they are just waiting for you to take the undead to them.

But the Broodmaster is a Unique Warlord. Not that I want to discourage anyone from buying an excessive amount of metal.

Are you talking about Gan Hor Warriors, Coatl, or plain ole Brood? The Brood are something scary to think about for certain.

Well, as long as it is something like a Reptus warrior or breaker riding a dragon as cool as Lavawrath, whether it have wings or not... I figure to add more than a few to my table. Especially with the idea that adepts get more than one pose sculpt, the multiple poses of Brood are going to be bountiful on my table. Depending on the final look of them, I will also have to partake of several of the DHL dragons to make for a truly awesome reptilian visage.

I also love the Gaan-Hor and hope they get some more loving in the 2008 cards. The Coatl... well, I will give them a chance but, admittedly, unless their sculpt is just too awesome to pass up, I will probably proxy them most of the time cause I just dont care for their stats as much (should have gotten disable).

A 16 DV ~ there are only 3 models with a DV that good, and only the Guardian Angel compares with the 19 DV against Ranged Attacks.

The MAV 8 with 5 attacks. For fun with the noodles, let's add First Strike, Frenzy and Warmaster.

Outrider ~ just for those 1000pt games when you really want to be a peeler.

Hmmm, a Flying Mage with the Ranger Special Ability ~ how fun is that?

But wait there's more! A Flying Mage with the Ranger Special Ability AND access to Elf Only Spells.

So, for 294 + Spells, I know it buys a good dose of temporary invincible.