DBlagg

New Elven Cards

Dragons are just nigh invincible, its just not realistic.

A 16 DV ~ there are only 3 models with a DV that good, and only the Guardian Angel compares with the 19 DV against Ranged Attacks.

The MAV 8 with 5 attacks. For fun with the noodles, let's add First Strike, Frenzy and Warmaster.

Outrider ~ just for those 1000pt games when you really want to be a peeler.

Hmmm, a Flying Mage with the Ranger Special Ability ~ how fun is that?

But wait there's more! A Flying Mage with the Ranger Special Ability AND access to Elf Only Spells.

So, for 294 + Spells, I know it buys a good dose of temporary invincible.

Dragon went down fast in the game I was playing (I was playing Nefsokar)...

Game lasted 4 turns.

Dragon needs Blow thru in the worst way

flying + range attack = broken model in warlord

not that It wouldn't be fun to fight the flying fire breather, but all the dragon has to do is kill the archers and mages and then he wins. Normal groundlings can't fight him while he's flying.

A 16 DV ~ there are only 3 models with a DV that good, and only the Guardian Angel compares with the 19 DV against Ranged Attacks.

The MAV 8 with 5 attacks. For fun with the noodles, let's add First Strike, Frenzy and Warmaster.

But wait there's more! A Flying Mage with the Ranger Special Ability AND access to Elf Only Spells.

Game lasted 4 turns.

You just proved my point. Do I think dragons are cool! Heck yeah!

Would I like them in Warlord. Shoot yes!

My problem with them is their current stats.

The way they are, they're not nearly strong enough and not nearly enough points.

Dragons should be their own army, able to be allied with a faction where they're wanted, not part of any particular faction.

And as far as points go, one dragon should be an entire 1500 point army by itself!

flying + range attack = broken model in warlord

not that It wouldn't be fun to fight the flying fire breather, but all the dragon has to do is kill the archers and mages and then he wins. Normal groundlings can't fight him while he's flying.

blow through wouldn't work with flying. it is in a straight line. so, if you are shooting down on a model the range will be halved and it will go through the model and into the ground.

The way they are, they're not nearly strong enough and not nearly enough points.

Dragons should be their own army, able to be allied with a faction where they're wanted, not part of any particular faction.

And as far as points go, one dragon should be an entire 1500 point army by itself!

While it would be cool and all, I think the kind of Dragon you are talking about (IMO) would be best left to special scenario play - remember that Dragons have a life cycle just like everything else and most start life (ie hatch) at Medium size or smaller (I am using DND scale just for ease of use). So a Giant (Warlord scale) dragon might be young - only 200-300 years old with plenty of growing left to do. Also that could explain why it's fighting for the Elves - it's a young, rebel dragon just doing things to get attention from it's parents - they're too busy counting their horde and giving him gold instead of attention. ::P: (not that silver dragons are that concerned with hordes, but..ya' know...) ::):

However, there used to be a Dragon in the main rulebook that was really expensive, and I would like to see one in the 1000 point range for scenario play - a Dragonslayer Scenario, basically. But I really think a single Dragon against a warband is at a severe disadvantage - grunts would probably need a 10 to hit him, but with the sheer number of attacks a Warband would get against it would almost guarantee the warband would win - statistically speaking, that is, a 10 will come up every once in a while.

Now, what would be cool would be a scenario where a family of dragons defends it's nest from invaders. I would recommend four standard sized dragons (wyrmlings, but still a threat), two cavalry sized (perhaps adolescent dragons with Innate (Fireball) but no flight), and a Giant based Dragon (Big Momma) even more powerful than Argyrian. Big Momma would be 400 points, adolescents would be 200 each, wyrmlings at 50 each for 1000 points - up the points (or 2 Big Mommas and more Adolescents) for 1500. Big Momma and Adolescents each get their own initative cards, the wyrmlings act as a troop.

EDIT: Change all of the above mentioned Dragons to non-flying Drakes - I think it would make a great scenario (two groups just happen to target the same Drake family den at once - they have to kill each other while surviving to kill the Drakes as well)

sure maybe a great wyrm dragon can be their own army, cost a billion points, and be the size of a small dog. . .but this is table top miniatures.

people like to field dragons and more times than not they are going to be "underpowered" according to somebody.

if you want to do the fantasy dragon to miniatures dragon comparison you are looking at either a juvenile or young adult dragon. has some spells (not a lot), a good number of hit points (but a high level fighter [warlord] or group of them [adepts] should be able to take one down. sure there will be casualties, but that's what happens when you go to fight a dragon.

There seems to be a D&D fixation, so here are my thoughts.

Why can't the Elven Mage/Captain simply be a Unique Arch-Mage with substantial leadership capabilities but owing allegiance to Danithal? Why must he be a warlord?

Perhaps he is a 20th level caster Wizards/Arch Mage with many feats spent on spell focus, whereas Ashkrypt may only be a 16th level Mage. Why do high CP casters need to be Warlords? In D&D Elves are premier Wizards, and this guy reflects that.

As for your Dragon, He does only fit on a Giant base, so I assume he'd be no bigger than the Dark Heaven model Lavawrath, and possibly quite a bit smaller. In D&D terms he'd be lucky to be an adult dragon, which might explain why he is dabbling in the politics of Elves.

As for the lack of a breath weapon, I keep say that the number 1 reason I think he has spell casting abilities is to simulate his breath weapon, as Fire Storm, Lightning Blast, Fireball, and Lightning bolt all do an exceptional job of this. D&D dragons can't go around breathing wily nily, they have to recharge, so the expectation that this dragon should have a blowthrough it can use every turn make little sense from the D&D ideal most of us are familair with.

Game lasted 4 turns.

I feel the same way about Judas. He IS THE Vampire Lord after all.