...so I may have gone a teensy bit far....

Sazabi Reverse

I did a final head count today on all the scouts/terminators/marines I have for my dark angels/black templars force, and ended up with (in just infantry) 71 models. And the sad part is I'm still calling it an unfinished small warforce. :blink: Keep in mind I didn't include bikes, landspeeders, tanks and any possible dreadnoughts I'll be getting. :blush:

So does anyone else have huge armies like that?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess it depends on if you are restricting it to 40K and 25mm scale. Otherwise 71 models is a trifling for some of my 15mm historical armies.

For Example (excluding Cavalry and Cannon)

British Napoleonic Army 400 Infantry Figures

French Napoleonic Army 1000 Infantry Figures

Austrian Napoleonic Army 1200 Infantry Figures

Union ACW Army 600 Infantry Figures

Confederate ACW Army 400 Infantry Figures

On the 25mm side I have a Viking Army that numbers just over 200 figures.

My current Flames of War Army in 15mm now consists of over 200 Infantry figures

And just for grins I know that I own at least 50 Terminators, 100 Space Marines (all painted)and still have two of the original plastic Space Marine boxes. Of course when I starte Rhinos came three to a box for $20.

Fantasy and Science Fiction miniature gamers are such amateurs when it comes to army sizes. I have an ancient copy of a Wargames Digest that showed a complete SS Panzer Division with supporting elements done in 1/87th scale (All Roco I believe) at 1-1 ratio. That's a little extreme even for us historical types. :blink:

70 figs? Bah!

I had 100+ Imperial Guard - and that was under the old 2nd Ed rules, where there were fewer models in a 2000 pt force. I think I had about 3500 pts under the old 2nd ed rules. Of course, these days, that's maybe 2000 pts under the newest 40k rules.

To really be able to play any variable points-based game with any degree of variety you need about 1.5X to 2X the models you could field at your preferred game size. (What really gets me about Space marines is that to vary the load-out of your Devastator heavies is hideously expensive (this is not a rant!!!). Tac marines and scouts are not so bad, but being able to swap out 4-8 devastators to any of the what? 5 heavy weapons choices? OW!)

So, to really be able to spring nasty surprises on your opponent, you need to be able to field the maximum possible number of termies to 2000 points- or the maximum number of devastators. Or assault squads. Or Predators.

So yeah. You NEED a massive army. It's necessary!

;) make you feel better?

I personally have about 1000 odd space marines, 30-something land raiders and just shy of 100 rhinos...

... in epic scale ::P:

As for 25mm SMs, I've got about the same as you, and I definitely want more, but I have to keep in mind I have several other armies the same size or larger to deal with as well. :wacko: