Flames of War

I'm thinking of starting this game, I've always loved WWII and playing in 15mm with all the tanks and infantry would be a nice deviation from all the ~30mm that I've always played.

I'm just wondering how many people play it, and what you guys think of it. As I understand it, you can field a early, modern, or late war army, but I'm confused about how you would play against other armies... It's point based, so could you have early war Germans fight late Russians?

I'm also a tad worried that no one around here (DFW texas) plays the game. After a GW store opened up, all the local gaming stores stopped carrying minis or closed. I'm lucky to have a place that plays Reaper games down the street, not to mention Reaper HQ only 15 min away.

Anyway, I like what I see, but I'm a tad confused about the actual game, and while I am concerned about no one playing it, I wouldn't mind having a Panzergrenadierkompanie looking nice on my shelf.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi -

FOW is point based.

I enjoy it. I'm doing a US armored rifle company - so I'm covered from Africa to Germany, really - there are some variations in equipment from mid to late war, but I'll pick those up as I go along.

Typically when yopu play, you will play from the same book - so you'd probably not find an early war german panzer comapny fighting a late war russian tank company.

HOWEVER - equipment is sometimes carried over.. so your Midwar PZ IIIs might make it to a late war book where their points cost is less because they are less effective and there is newer equipment to replace them. Does that make sense?

Infantry is less of a factor - as their equipment and formations don't very THAT much through the early, mid and late war. Most poeple will let you slide - vehicles and army composition are the big factors.

I'd pick a period that interests you and go with it. If you are german - Early to Mid war is really neat, especially when the fighting expands into Russia as it really gives you a huge possibility of equipment. Africa is also neat for big swirling tank battles. My personal favorite, however is the desperate fighting of DDay and Beyond.

I'm also really looking forward to the 1940's France expansion due out some day. I would adore to paint up a french army.

I'm positive there are FoW players in the DFW area - pop on over to www.theminiaturespage.com and post a message saying you are looking for FoW players and I'm sure a few will pop up.

I've lived where I live all my life, and I am still finding historical gaming groups that noone was aware of (outside the group) that never pop into our FLGS.

Edit: Here are some other links to help you find players.

http://www.lshm.net/?cat=25

http://fow.flamesofwar.com/viewtopic.php?t=47165

Edited by SaintRigger

I play FOW primarily because I can find people to play with easily in Denver, it is essentially a GW derivative game; I.E> I have four stationary MG42s with six D6 each needing 3+ to hit.

Imagine the shaking sounds of 24 D6 "Shake, Shake, Shake" Oh my look at that 18 hits, roll saves for your six infantry stands, need 5+ to Save. Imagine the shaking sounds of 18 D6 "Shake, Shake, Shake". Wow 17 saves. :blink:

As SaintRigger said you play from the same book you would never take a 2000 point German Panzer Company against a late war Soviet Tank Company. You would find you PzIIIs cost more than T-34/85s.

Its a fast, fairly straight forward game. As most rulebooks it could really stand to be better organized. Special rules for Recon units come to mind. They are not cosolidated in a single section but spread out across four sections and are easy to overlook. Lots of people play in my area so that's what I settled on.

My favorite WWII ruleset is Spearhead, designed for 1/285th scale but we upscaled to 15mm. We love the command and control rules in that game (which are pretty much lacking in FOW).

You can start with FOW though to get started and get playing and then can always shift to a different rules system. Also Battlefront has never set up a tournament that requires that you only use their miniatures. They have vehicle requirements for their units that they don't make and one or more of the other 15mm WWII manufacturers do make.

For figures, one thing you can look at as well is Old Glory Command Decision line (www.oldgloryminiatures.com). Frequent sales means cheap figures. Most of which are fairly good (I really like their half tracks, Hetzers, StuG IVs -- despite the lack of Schuertzen) with the actual figures being slightly better. I personally very much dislike BF's figures (IMHO they tend to look like Odo from Star Trek -- and some of the weapons are so exagerrated...) Usually unless the person you're playing against is a hard-core fanboy or its an "official" event, no one cares.

SR, the only thing I'm looking for from an EW France book is the ability to field hordes of Pz.38(t)s and Pz.35(t)s. I guess a 6. and/or 7. Panzer Division will be in my future...

Damon.

I just want nice figures with adrian helmets I can paint like zouaves. ;)

Actually, equipment wise, the french gear was much better than the germans - if they french had a differet set opf tactics, they'd have beaten the germans back but they were prepared for another WWI type of war.

I too love the PZ 38s and PZ I's

Edited by SaintRigger

Flames of War costs 50$ for a book with no army lists, and an additional 35$ for each battlefront book, with you and your possible opponent's lists...

90 bucks to start RULES only, after tax, sans mini's...sorry, but that is my lunch budget for 2 weeks

i'll take Blitzkreig Commander for 45$, comes with everything rules-wise, thank you...

but by all means, get mini's where you have to....i myself buy from a plethora of suppliers...

if you can blow 400$ in one sitting, go for it.

....can you donate a lil' of that $400 to the Red Cross while you're at it...there are sick african children needing the cash...

I have the 35ts ready and raring to go. I modeled the 6th Panzer up through Barbarossa.

I'm not sure that I would go so far as to say that the French had better gear, as you said they were prepared for a different type of war. Better armed and armored tanks but slower and with a two man turret that was hardly big enough for two men. Better leadership would have helped them more.

Edited by Heisler

Hmm ya... it sounds good, and I like the look, I'll do a tad bit more research into miniatures. As mentioned, I've seen some from Old Glory and others.

I'd most likely just get my favorite types of units, that being Panzergrenadiers in Skdfz 250s, good old 88's, some paks, and some stugs to finish it off. I guess I could pull off all time periods if I stayed away from Paks, and late war Sturmtruppen w/ Stgs, even if they are awesome. Everything else should fit unless I'm mistaken.

I'll be waiting a bit to start anyway. Maybe I can get the local non GW store to start FOW up, but in the meantime, I'll be working on my Warlord and CAV armies.

also, what are the usual point averages for games, and how much can I expect to spend for an army of that size if I use BF's minis?

1500 or 2000 points are about average size games. The game still plays well down to about 600 or so points. Armored Panzergrenadiers were only used the SdKfz 250 for a very short time, they were rapidly remounted in the SdKfz 251. Recon units tended to use the 250 for their armored units.

Depending on various choices you make on force composition you are probably looking at $150-$200 for a $1500 point force. A full platoon of PGs in 251s I think is $65 and you will need to two of them at a minumum. Vehicles run $8.95 each (some trucks are two to a pack though) Infantry runs $12 - $25 a pack depending on what you are buying.

Quality Casting Vehicles are pretty good matches size wise but I don't like their infantry

Command Decision (Old Glory) sometimes have mold issues with their vehicles (they don't replace their molds soon enough) but I like their infantry much better and its cheaper than Battlefront. My only issue is that all their infantry is 50+ figures to a bag and sometimes I don't need that many MGs.

Edited by Heisler

I took the leap, and am currently building a Finnish Tank company, and a Soviet Naval Infantry Battalion. I'm using lots of Old Glory and Peter Pigg, as well as Battlefront models.

Most of the mechanics look OK to me. I was a real fan of Command Decision, and Tractics, but so many players complained that those games were like "doing their taxes"....

Personally, I'm awating a Barbarosso briefing manual. I only have about fifty BT-7's in my collection.

I've just started playing FOW (haven't even got to play my first game yet) but lucked into a great deal of the rulebook, Festung, and a good selection of Americans for less than the books alone. I'd stayed away from the game for this long because I can't see dropping that much money to start before you ever get a single figure. The rules look to be pretty good and I can see myself fleshing out the rest of my forces with some Old Gloy minis. Especially the 2 1/2 tonners and other transports. The infantry isn't horrid but I've seen better.

One of the best things I've seen about this game, at least in this area, is the lack of historical wargame maniacs. The one that freak out if there aren't the right number of buttons on a uniform or start screaming at someone who tries to field a mini that is a close proxy for a mini. I've seen too many (me being one of them) people dodge historical wargaming because of this small, select, vocal group. Now ll I have to do is get some painting done and set aside some game time.

prices for old glory minis are certainly cheaper... how do they stack up to other 15mm WWII minis, as well as the battlefront minis themselves. I'm having a hard time finding pics of the old glory minis...

What a loaded question, LOL.

Old Glory Minis (Command Decision Line) are solid 15s. They come out a little small against the Battlefront stuff. Closer to being a true 15mm figure as opposed to a "Heroic" 15mm. There are a good variety of poses and the sculpts are relatively clean.

Peter Pig sculpts have improved a lot but I still prefer Old Glory. I don't like the Battle Honors/Quality Casting Infantry very much. There is another company I have been meaning to try but just haven't had a need for the troops they are selling:

Resistant Rooster

US Marines, Japanese, Finns, Fallschirmjager, US Army in winter coats and other kind of off beat german and soviet units.

Frank Chadwick's Command Decision rules were the ones we played for years. I like them a lot mostly because I think he had the command control and the morale down just about pat. The issues I have with it are its a little to detail for the level that it is suppose to portray. Depends on what you like I suppose. Right now I want fast and relatively simple that gives me a good feel for WWII combat. Command Decision should be coming out in a new edition quite soon, perhaps this summer at Origins.