Sign in to follow this  
kristof65

Centaur Warriors and Chiral, Centaur Sergeant

I have a request. With the release of RC2007, the elven army went from a single solo centaur to centaur archers, centaur warriors and Chiral the Centaur Sergeant.

I am so looking forward to the new sculpts for the warriors and Chiral. Anyway, to give more variety among the centaurs, I was wondering if some consideration would be made to creating the new sculpts as two piece sculpts - 'human' torso and 'horse' body as seperate pieces so that we could mix and match. At least for the warriors and maybe an alternate archer.

If you create two horse bodies and two human torsos as interchangeable pieces, you have four different combinations of figures.

If you create three horse bodies and three human torsos as interchangeable pieces, you have nine different combinations of figures.

And so on, and so on, exponentially...

I know that creating multiple piece/interchangeable models like this is a bit more difficult. However, the centaur kind of has a "natural" place to create the break, so maybe it would work fairly well for these figs.

Anyway, just a request to give it some thought before commissioning the sculpts for the centaur warrior and Chiral, Centaur Sergeant.

Thanks

Just remember that more pieces = more cost.

It would definitely be a spot I would recommend pinning, no matter how good of a post they add, and fortunately, that would be a pretty beefy area for drilling.

I like the idea as well.

Or even just alternate human parts, if the cost of several interchangeable sculpts is an issue.

That's kind of my thinking. Most people won't really notice if there are only two or three horse body variants if there are at least a matching number of torsos. Heck, a lot of people wouldn't even notice if there was only one variant of the horse body. And adding additional variants becomes as easy as sculpting a new torso to fit one of the existing horse bodies.

I'd love this interchangability for basic humanoid grunts too, but I also realize that it's not necessarily cost effective for them, plus on humanoids it can make the poses static, like some of the early GW plastics.

However, for centaurs, there's two factors I'm looking at that might make it more cost effective. One, the centaur has a 'natural' break line for something like this. And it's a good place for pinning, like Qwyk said.

Two, because of the larger figure, and thus more pewter, I'm sure the centaur's aren't going to be some of the better sellers in the Warlord line. This means the likelyhood of them getting alternate sculpts is much lesser than the other grunts/adepts. Designing them as two piece models in the first place would increase their chances of getting alternate sculpts, and may actually increase their popularity (especially if they prove very effective on the Warlord battlefield - it will be a while before I get to play them myself to find out.)

I guess I have a third reason as well - if at least one of the Centaurs is released with this in mind, conversions using regular DHL figures become easier than trying to cut the head off a unicorn.

Anyway, I'd be happy with an initial release of a siingle horse body, and seperate Torso's for Chiral, an archer and a warrior type.

I'd love a mix and match set for the warriors and archers. In a nine pack with 3 humans and three horses you could make every model different. I just suggested last week in Reaper General for some cavalry that was seperate parts.