Sci Fi Sophie Reaper Con 07

fieldarchy

Hey Guys,

Welp this is the Sophie I've been working on. I entered her last minute in the Phoenix Con Games Modern Category and she took first place! YAY! Dave and Patty at Game Depot really like the paint job! She's going to a good home at the store!

Let me know what you think!

post-2071-1182141462.jpg

post-2071-1182141085.jpgpost-2071-1182141449.jpg

post-2071-1182141412.jpgpost-2071-1182141270.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I vaguely looked at her in the WIP forums. What I saw was kind of blah (must have been the early stages). However all I can say is wow. This is one of the better figs I have seen from you in a while and I think she turned out better then the half orc you did. My only problem is the base seems "blah." Now perhaps you did not want to take away from your kick butt paint job, but it looks boring and rushed.

How did you do the hair?

The base is kinda blah and boring but it's also got lots of little bits to it. I kinda saw her in a setting that was dark, in space . . . like she's landing on the moon in a trash heap or something. That is why I kept it dark but brushed metallic paint on there. I think she turned out great though overall! I did ask Dave and Patty if they wanted anything done differently and they said no, hence no changing the base.

The hair was executed using the SoCal Sue Crew Paint Minion Hair Method (did I get the name right or was there more tacked on?). Basically you paint on the highlights using really thin layers that you build up and then give it several layers of glaze, repeat some highlights, repeat some glaze, rinse and repeat until you are happy with the outcome.

Hey Meg,

I really like the gold! For a minute, I thought you were doing NMM ::): It looks like your technique with metalics could readily transfer over to NMM (but I really don't see why that's necessary...looks like you got the best of both worlds going here!).

The only suggestion I would add (and I know that this mini is probably shelved as done), is to paint her gear (gun and misc. stuff) with different greys to help differentiate from the debris on the ground. I don't know if some glazes with warmer colors or some other base colors would do it. Maybe faded color or industrial symbols on the debris...do metals rust in space? :lol:

Anyways, very cool and congratulations!

-AW

Congratulations! ^_^ I think I'd have to go with those who'd like to see more variety in the base, maybe some Muddy Brown or Intense Brown tucked into some crevices to break things up a bit. But it's not important if you and they like it--she did turn out lovely.

(I can be so vicariously happy when somebody's model wins, especially when he or she is relatively new to painting. I am sitting here grinning idiotically.)

--Jen

Congratulations! ^_^ I think I'd have to go with those who'd like to see more variety in the base, maybe some Muddy Brown or Intense Brown tucked into some crevices to break things up a bit. But it's not important if you and they like it--she did turn out lovely.

(I can be so vicariously happy when somebody's model wins, especially when he or she is relatively new to painting. I am sitting here grinning idiotically.)

--Jen

YAY! Jen is happy for me! *happy dance!*