Spirit of the Century!

lstormhammer

Hi, all!

So there's this game I've been playing of late, and in a bolt of inspiration, realized this would be perfect fodder for the classic Forum Play-By-Post that I seemed to succeed with previously.

I would like to run a game of SotC, play-by-post, for 4-6 players. I'm looking for good, pulpy hero characters. Science and guns go hand-in-hand to defeat the villain du jour. Think the... well... pulp novels of the 20's and 30's.

I'll be setting the game in 1933. A lot of 'interesting' historical events happen around that time (including the end of the Voltsted Act and the rise of Nazi Germany). The rules themselves are fall-down easy, and depending on the responses I get, I can easily help people make their characters.

The idea of SotC is literally a 'pick up game'. In tabletop, if your friend can't make it, then no problem, the other players can have a game on their own.

There's a Wiki, which seems to be the standard now-a-days. Feel free to look it over, tell me if you like it. Give me some ideas of characters you want to play.

An idea mix would be:

One Brawler/fighter/shooting type

One Academic/Scholar/Scientist type

One Mechanical/greasemonkey/driving type

One Exotic/parallel universe/Martian Prince type

One Schmoozer/landed gentry/socialite type.

Naturally, all of these are mix-and-match, and if two people wanted to play the same type, well... that's comedy gold!

Postings will probably be Mondays and Fridays, with people having a chance to send me a question of three over the week.

With luck, this should be good.

--LSH.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as how I've been reading through game info and surfing pulp sights ever since reading this post over two hours ago, I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring. Not quite sure exactly what type of character yet though, I've got too many ideas running around in my head at the moment to narrow it down to just one.

Good to hear there's some interest.

If you have questions, ask them! It shouldn't be too hard to get an answer out of me.

For those of you still gawking and saying 'uuuh'. Think of Spirit of the Century as 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'. (same font, even). It's about two-fisted action hero scientists, femme fatales, creators of Mad Science threatening the world with some new horror, and explorers pushing back the last uncharted parts of the map, all set after the horrors of The Great War, and in the shadow of WWII.

--LSH

Nothing wrong with taking the Two-fisted Archaeologist type and doing your own spin with him.

You could make him, say; a budding archaeologist who happens so also run a side business with his seaplane. Travels the world, sees exotic ports of call. Meets and greets all manner of person.

...you know, the guy with the game hooks! :)

Once we know all the people who want to play, the fun part of chargen begins; How all the players know each other. This gives the player an idea of how the character reacts, and you all know each other so it's not like most games where a rag-tag group of adventurers are thrown together to fight a greater evil!

...OK, it's just like that, but the Martini has just been invented, and there's nothing wrong with a restorative whiskey at 10 in the morning.

--LSH

Love the sea plane idea. Let's go with that, but instead of Archaeologist, we go with Importer/Exporter of exotic and difficult to obtain items. I'll work on some more details from there.

Oh and CuCulain wants in...EXCELLENT!!!

Tie-in for the two of us. His character is the pilot/mechanic of the plane (if that's cool with you guys) and we're co-owners of an Import/Export warehouse.

Once we get more people interested (I'm already eyeballing Stern) we can do the chargen and such.

Natch, I'll be handling the dice rolls, but with luck I should be able to remember to post the actual dice rolls. I'll prolly do it at the end of the posting, in an OOC area.

There's also 'Fate Points' where you use Aspects (think Feats from DnD) to do cool stuff with your character. You use a Fate point to activate an Aspect.

Now the cool part is that Aspects can be used against a character. So for example; if Johnny Johnson has 'Never strikes a woman' as an Aspect, and he's facing a femme fatale, then he gets a Fate Point because she's holding a gun to him, and realizes he's been played for a sucker.

More to come as people's characters gel.

--LSH

That works for me. I'm thinking I was a pilot in WWI. I'm older, I'm thinking late 40's. I'm British from Glandwr, in Wales. My name is David Roberts. He flewa S.E. 5a in RFC Squadron 24. He was shot down over France in the Second Battle of Somme. His right leg was badly injured in his crash, he didn't loose it but now requires a cane to walk.

OK, it looks like just the pair for right now. But that's cool. The greatest thing about SotC is that it's infinitly adaptable to the people you have ready to be in the game.

C and S: work on your characters. If you have troubles, PM me and we'll go from there.

--LSH.