Familiars

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a question posed to me, so here we go;

Do the Familiars still go on their own bases?

Since they quit catching the spell they have kind of turned into a non-entity in our group and I never see them on the board, even when they are purcased. But it is a good question.

I've often wondered but never thought to ask. Are familiars actually there and can/could they block a model from getting into b2b with a caster? Because you can't attack them, they have no stats, but if they are actually characters, you couldn't move through or on top of them, then they could physically be blocking the path to a model.

The rules said that you can glue them on the base of the mage/cleric or give them their own base. If you do the last thing, Familiars are still not considerd "on the game board" in sense of blocking LOS or paths. They had been simply put "out of the way". So you can consider them as some kind of marker for a special equipment.

I think they didn't change that.

I gave the familiars in my starter-Boxes their own base, just for look and feel and since there is sometimes simply not enough room an the same base for magician and familiar. :)

The rules said that you can glue them on the base of the mage/cleric or give them their own base. If you do the last thing, Familiars are still not considered "on the game board" in sense of blocking LOS or paths. They had been simply put "out of the way". So you can consider them as some kind of marker for a special equipment.

I gave the familiars in my starter-Boxes their own base, just for look and feel and since there is sometimes simply not enough room an the same base for magician and familiar. :)

I never read that paragraph, but I never field familiars because that would require taking a mage and I don't take mages, but on the rare occasion that I do I typically just say that mage has a familiar.

Familiars have never had to be on a base. They were supposed to be either represented on the Model somehow, or you could mount one on its own base. If Mounted on it's own base, it did not have ANY impact on the game whatsoever. It could not block LOS, prevent b2b, etc.

The Gruesome Familiar sort of tweaked this a bit, but is no longer the same Familiar it used to be so it's a non-issue now.

Locally, we never really harped on having to have the Familiar visible. But we're a pretty honest and friendly group, so there's never been an issue of the miraculously moving Familiar. And of course, I think a lot of us would often forget about the recasting spell bit, since we were taking it primarily for the +2 CP modifier for our Mages :lol:

I mean heck, we've had models with a wad of poster Tac...

Hey, what's that going to be for? Oh Yellow Tac is a Musician, Blue Tac is a Standard. ^_^

The rules said that you can glue them on the base of the mage/cleric or give them their own base. If you do the last thing, Familiars are still not considerd "on the game board" in sense of blocking LOS or paths. They had been simply put "out of the way". So you can consider them as some kind of marker for a special equipment.

The rules were not changed, and were stated right by Andarion. I enjoy the hobby part of minis, and am a big fan of Magic over Might. that said I use a liberal amount of Mages and familiars, and spend the time to make some very ornate (and often amusing) familiars. I've magnatized the familiars, along with the mages bases so I can swap familiars if I get bored of a certain one...you'd be this bored too if you lived in Florida.