Question to AOE-Spells like Fireball, Blessing...

Andarion

I'm a bit confused about how to get the TNs for the CP-rolls of some of the AOE-spells.

Let's start with fireball: When I cast this spell, I make 1 individual CP-roll for each single model in AOE which causes 1 wound if it succed, right?

Firestorm causes 2 wounds, but it's still 1 roll per model.

Blessing is... a roll against 10, which, if successfull, grants all friendly models in AOE the +1 bonus.

Am I right?

Where do I get the information how to aquire my TN for a specific spell?

Thanks

Andarion

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit confused about how to get the TNs for the CP-rolls of some of the AOE-spells.

Let's start with fireball: When I cast this spell, I make 1 individual CP-roll for each single model in AOE which causes 1 wound if it succed, right?

Firestorm causes 2 wounds, but it's still 1 roll per model.

Blessing is... a roll against 10, which, if successfull, grants all friendly models in AOE the +1 bonus.

Am I right?

Where do I get the information how to aquire my TN for a specific spell?

Thanks

Andarion

You are correct mostly, Firestorm only causes one wound, it is more expensive because the AOE is larger and it will kill a stunned model whereas a Fireball will not.

I'm not a big gamer so I don't know the lingo from other games, so TN is a mystery. I may be way off but you are probably wondering what does your CP plus a d10 have to beat to be successfully cast. That would be your opponents MD.

TN = Target Number? gtriplec has it, it's CP + d10 and that total has to meet or beat the target's MD. First decide where the center of the AOE is going to be, then measure to make sure you can actually have it there, once you confirm that you measure out from the AOE center point to determine who has been hit. Then you make your rolls versus each target, individually. So it's possible that you could catch several models in the AOE but damage none, or some, or all of them.

Also note that the AOE never drifts in Warlord.

For AOE spells, you make your roll for ALL models within the AOE that would be effected unless a spell specifically states otherwise.

Attack Spells are 1d10 + CP + Situational Modifiers VS Target MD

Non-Attack Spells are 1d10 + CP + Situational Modifiers VS 10

Yes, you're right. Lightning Blast is the spell with an AOE and 2 wounds.

But there it is also still 1 roll/model in AOE?

The question considering Blessing is that, since it is an AOE which effects all friendly models in AOE, do I have to make a single roll against 10 or do I have to roll for each model in AOE against their MD?

For damage spells it's all the same and didn't change with Rage Chroncles. There I use the MD and make a roll for each model in AOE with the individual MD.

My two questions are:

If a spell caueses mutiple wounds on the same model (e.g. Lightning Blast) do I have to make multiple rolls (one for each wound)?

Does a non-attack-spell with an AOE require only a single roll against 10 or multiple rolls against 10 (one for each modell in AOE)? (btw: where do you get the info that you use 10 instead of the MD of the target model while using an non-attack spell? Can't remember of such a thing right at the moment...)

Maybe I could make myself a bit more clear... Don't have that much time to use my english so there are sometimes problems with it. ;)

See my above post regarding AOE spells in general. I do not have my rulebook with me for a direct page reference, but it is in there. Most likely in the Spell Casting section in combat.

RE: Damage. One roll per Model, regardless of the amount of damage occurs. The spell causes 2 points of damage flat out. It isn't two one point spells hitting the AOE. It is one big spell.

Yes, you're right. Lightning Blast is the spell with an AOE and 2 wounds.

But there it is also still 1 roll/model in AOE?

The question considering Blessing is that, since it is an AOE which effects all friendly models in AOE, do I have to make a single roll against 10 or do I have to roll for each model in AOE against their MD?

For damage spells it's all the same and didn't change with Rage Chroncles. There I use the MD and make a roll for each model in AOE with the individual MD.

My two questions are:

If a spell caueses mutiple wounds on the same model (e.g. Lightning Blast) do I have to make multiple rolls (one for each wound)?

Does a non-attack-spell with an AOE require only a single roll against 10 or multiple rolls against 10 (one for each modell in AOE)? (btw: where do you get the info that you use 10 instead of the MD of the target model while using an non-attack spell? Can't remember of such a thing right at the moment...)

Maybe I could make myself a bit more clear... Don't have that much time to use my english so there are sometimes problems with it. ;)

One hit is two wounds with a Lightening Strike. I believe every spell with an AOE has to be rolled for every model involved. So if you are trying to bless 4 it would be 4 rolls.

You only need to roll once for Blessing and it affects all friendly models in the AOE .

Quote 2st printing page 60 .

How to resolve Casting a Non- Attack Spell

.....If the result of the Casting Check is equal to or greater than 10 , the casting is successful .

Nowhere in the rules , except for Attack spells does it state that you have to roll for each model when casting Non-Attack spells .

Edited by Brushmaster

I don't why you guys don't read things , misread things of plain just come to your own conclusions . I've been playing the game for over 2 years now and that's they way it was played at ReaperCon so what is the problem ? In black and white , it only refers to Attacks spells that have to rolled against individual models . What are we doing here , trying to reinvent the wheel ? <_<

Edited by Brushmaster

There was clarification on this ages ago IIRC that all spells roll for each individual Model within the AOE, Attack or Non-Attack. Which is how it has been played locally as well for 3+ years.

It wasn't reading into the rules or reinventing anything. It was a clarification.

Edited by Qwyksilver

I've been playing it as separate rolls for each target, friendly or enemy. I have never seen it played any other way.

Since all clarifications and errata pre-RC07 have been incorporated into RC07, perhaps, this issue needs to be re-clarified?

There was clarification on this ages ago IIRC that all spells roll for each individual Model within the AOE, Attack or Non-Attack. Which is how it has been played locally as well for 3+ years.

It wasn't reading into the rules or reinventing anything. It was a clarification.

Geez , I must have missed that but I don't know how or why as I'm on the board almost every day . :wacko: May well be but as the rulebook reads and as there is no clarrification in print , it does not state that one has to roll against indiviual models for defensive spells . This really needs to clarrified . My prime example is why would anybody spend 60 points of the Nefsokar spell "Part River's Death" if you have to roll for each model as some have suggested . I'd say from an intuative point that the defensive spells are like a bubble but that's just me . :upside:

My prime example is why would anybody spend 60 points of the Nefsokar spell "Part River's Death" if you have to roll for each model as some have suggested.

Because anyone using Part Death's River will make sure they have at least a CP 8 before buying the spell? :unsure:

I've been scouring the forums to see if I can find any official word, but I'm coming up empty. The closest hint I found was during some discussion of pre-RC07 Warcry, it was mentioned that the casting rolls made for enemy models would not receive the +2 for friendly models (hence are made at a CP 2 instead of CP 4). This sort of implies separate rolls are made, but it's nothing definitive.