Sign in to follow this  
Lady Tam

Female dwarf

O.K. This is by Kenzner but it was so funny (and neat at the same time) that I had to show you all. A female dwarf with a beard! I love it! female dwarf They also have a coll looking dwarven thief coming out in August.

Lady Tam

That's funny! I still like the old Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay explanation. Female dwarves don't have beards. The problem was that the first dwarves encountered by humans in recent years were "kilted" males and the story stuck.

Tolkein in his notes, said they were bearded. D&D-it depends on the setting. Reaper's own Ametryne Earthlite was beardless and rather cute(nice work S.G.). I she she is being re-sculpted.Any concept art available?

Reaper's own Ametryne Earthlite was beardless and rather cute(nice work S.G.).  Is she is being re-sculpted?  Any concept art available?

Yes, she is being redone.

SG had the concept art with her this weekend.  It looks great, another great Talin piece.

cbs :upside:

No beards, then how do you know they are dwarves  :p

I like Terry Pratchet's dwarves, they don't even know themselves who are the females and males.. there comes a time preferably after the marriage when they find out. :)

Then there is Cheeri Littlebottom.. the only official dwarven female, she stil has her beard, a kilt, highheeled iron boots... and lipstick....  :D

A female dwarf without a beard is merely an alcoholic gnome.

"Thanks, bridesmaid!  Like the beard!  Gives me something to hang onto!  Woof!"   --Lord Flasheart

Oh no....... not this arguement again!!!  Seemed to come up about every other week on the WotC board  :p

I can't find my copy of 'Return of the King' with the notes in the back but I thought I remember Tolkien saying that so few humans had seen a female dwarf rumors started that the women were bearded and looked just like the men.

And as Steven noted the beards vary as to setting and it seems edition: DL material back to 1st ed show beardless female dwarves, there are a couple of pictures in the various 2nd PS and RL manuals with beardless women and the 'Complete Book of Dwarves' all the females are beardless. I was shocked when I first opened a FR 2nd ed manual with a picture of what I first thought was a male dwarf with boobs...

:O until I found out it was supposed to be female......

There was a bearded female dwarf in a few of the early TSR modules (aka, 1st Ed AD&D) ... I believe it was A1-4 (the slavers series, c.1980). See A1 (cover, p.1) and A2 (p.2) for reference.   :D

A female dwarf without a beard is merely an alcoholic gnome.

"Thanks, bridesmaid!  Like the beard!  Gives me something to hang onto!  Woof!"   --Lord Flasheart

Preach on Brother!

Female dwarves have beards.  It's society that tells them to shave if they choose to.

To believe otherwise is just human ignorance and what we "like" to perceive as "female beauty".

There was a bearded female dwarf in a few of the early TSR modules (aka, 1st Ed AD&D) ... I believe it was A1-4 (the slavers series, c.1980). See A1 (cover, p.1) and A2 (p.2) for reference.

I always that that was just theat "ceesy" art the had!  :laugh:  

Lady Tam