Defiance - Heeding the siren's call

SaintRigger

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the same way with rules. If someone walks me through them I'm find - but I've only read a few rulebooks which were completely intuitive.

This is why conventions are a good thing, you can get demo games in, learn the mechanics and then the rulebooks simply click.

I've been on the fence with Defiance. I wanted to wait for AICOM, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime SOON. That and I need another game to have and not play like I need a hole in the head. On the other hand, I downloaded the free rules from their site and it looks like it's a cool game. Had to reread a couple sections, mostly on how forces are organized and models/equipment purchased. It would probably make more sense if I had the full rules with the instructions on creating the stats.

OK, got to get a reply in here before the 'press office' turns up. :lol:

I think that Defiance does need to be read with a few minis and a couple of dice in front of you. I am the only person with the rule book that I know, so I didnt have any-one to teach me. However, there are a lot of examples in the book, and setting these up and rolling a few dice really helped me to understand the system.

Also, it is best to ignore any force creation rules to start with. Download a basic list from the main site and use these stats to get a handle on the game.

the rules are well written from a logicians point if view, with ambiguities and vagueness in only a few places. The only thing that jumps out to me and bothers me is the lack of a unambiguous definition of the unit perimeter.

I thought the unit perimeter was pretty simple. If it's ambiguous it's likely Demian thought it simple enough to not need elaboration. I think the summary is the most unambiguous: "in other words, units may not intersperse". Elites get to ignore (and are ignored by) any and all applications of unit perimeter.

So anyway you could say the press office is here. Fire away with any questions you may have, and don't jump right into building troops and weapons from scratch. And like I keep saying, it plays much faster and smoother than it reads- the rules are pretty thorough and take some getting through. I've played, like, three games, so almost all my knowledge comes from reading the rules several times ;)

Now that Cybershadow mentions it, it seems utterly, utterly obvious to sit down and actually run the examples. Why didn't I think of that?

At first I assumed that the perimeter was the convex hull containing all minis of the unit, because this is the only consistent way of defining it I could come up with, if you're free to define which minis are on the perimeter yourself then the rule becomes next to useless since most often you'll be able to define the perimeters so the units don't overlap. Problem is that in some of the examples the perimeter is not convex, so it's still not clear to me how the perimeter should be defined.

Or wait ... could it be that two units do not overlap if I can come up with a pair of any two perimeters that don't overlap?

Linkie for convex hull: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convex_hull

Edited by vejlin