So how far have you ever driven from home

kristof65

My nearest set of gaming stores is 45 minute drive, 1.25hour by bus&metro away. Same for comic books, manga, store that actually carries a selection of non-mainstream (i.e. fullmetal alchemist) english DVDs, english books of any kind, etc.

Of course as I get charged 1.5 the price of all these goods for the honour of living in Canada I usually just order on-line from american sites. The saving due to the exchange rate pays for shipping, gas and then some usually. :wacko:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, that got me to wondering - growing up, how far away from home did you travel on a regular basis?

Every weekend we would travel from Amenia (near the CT border) to Buffalo. I know we drove out to the SW (around the Grand Canyon) at least once.

How far do you commute to work?

I don't commute to work, I work from the time I leave home. My current route can be 280+ miles. I once had a route that was 380+ miles. That's per day...

How often do you drive farther than that?

At least 2-3 times a year. In the last year I've driven to Gen Con (500 miles?) and Richmond, VA (with a trip to Albany first, so about 800 miles).

I've driven from SF to Rochester (we also visited friends in SLC and Boulder) once and driven to Florida a few times (KW, Orlando, and Daytona).

What's the furthest distance you would drive to browse around a game store for an hour?

Maybe 10 miles or so. I often take side trips to visit game stores in other cities, but for the most part I don't like to 'browse' game stores.

I don't remember the questions.

I had a job where I drove 60 miles a day to get to work.

Growing up we made several 1000+ mile trips. We drove an hour and a half every weekend to visit my dad.

To browse, I may drive an forty five minutes.

Longest trip as passenger Nashville, TN to Fairbanks, Alaska. Longest as driver Cincinnati to SLC and back.

I no longer drive long distances because I developed narcolepsy in my early twenties.

Anyway, that got me to wondering - growing up, how far away from home did you travel on a regular basis?

For non-vacations, half an hour or 45 minutes, almost weekly trips to my grandfather's farm, about 20 miles away. Vacations, taken by car, anywhere from 2 or 3 hours to more than a day.

How far do you commute to work?

SAHD. I roll out of bed, and am at work. Previous jobs have included daily commutes of about 15-20 miles, taking about 30-40 minutes, each direction.

How often do you drive farther than that?

Every other week, I drive 40-odd miles each way for my RPG group. And every couple of months, we drive about 200-250 miles to visit my dad or the in-laws.

I drove from Omaha to Origins a couple of times - the first time, the four of us shared 1 car, and I drove about 40% of the way. The next year, we took two cars, and I did all the driving for my car. 800 miles can take less than 12 hours, including stops, without significant speeding. You just have to be willing to stop only when you need gas, and only for 15-20 minutes, tops.

What's the furthest distance you would drive to browse around a game store for an hour?

Good store? Oh, an hour, maybe 90 minutes. Unknown store? Probably no more than an hour. Store that I know, have dealt with extensively in the past, and know that they have all the obscure crud I want? Two, maybe three hours.

ok, some people didnt read the question....

eh, yes and no. It was kind of a multi-part pick your own question. So far all of the answers, whether focused on the specific questions I asked, or more in the general area, have been fascinating. I'm enjoying seeing the different viewpoints and experiences.

I am guessing it's more of how one was raised than where one was raised. I know people local to me who say that even a drive to Atlanta (I hour, barring traffic SNAFUs) is too far to go.

Partially, but it seems to be a factor of both, as well as dependent on how long someone has lived in the same area, and what is available to them in that area.

My sister lives 40 miles away from me, and she considers it too far to drive for anything other than special occasions. I, on the other hand, having lived in such a remote part of Australia, plus doing a 55 mile one way commute in CA for years, don't quite feel that way. I'll get in a car and drive across the Denver Metro area to visit a store or something I want to see, or manage my rental property at a moments notice (thankfully my rental unit is 3 miles from Attactix), whereas my sister won't even consider it without a few days advance planning. Yet we were raised side by side. The big difference between us is that I've lived all over the world, she's never lived more than 40 miles from where we grew up.

Travel has always been part of life...since I was three, not a single year has gone by without at least one--and usually two or three, with a record of six-- round-trip plane ticket (and its concurrent use) coming my way.

When my parents and I lived in Italy, we drove all over Europe; one trip took us from Naples to the toe of the boot, back up the Eastern leg, along the coast and eventually through Greece, ending in Istanbul. We drove a lot...we lived in Tampa for a while and made regular trips to Orlando; that 2.5 hours was a short trip. We made the drive from FL to Houston when we moved, too.

Once I had my car...a friend of mine and I drove from Oklahoma City to Wichita, KS one day for no reason at all. We stopped in the Circuit City there, bought nothing, and drove back. It was a good time, but otherwise kinda strange. I went to college in MO; the 2.5 hours (or 45 minutes late at night) between Cape Girardeau and St. Louis was actually a commute for me for a while. I'd drive up there for an eight-hour shift, then drive back down every Saturday. I also routinely drove from Cape Girardeau back home to Houston...always straight through, no stops (although I had some friends at school in Nacogdoches, so I'd sometimes cut the trip short there).

Three years ago, I drove from Houston to Las Vegas, with overnights in El Paso and Flagstaff, then after a few weeks in Vegas, drove down to LA, up to Napa, then back to Houston with overnights in LA, Phoenix, and El Paso. That was a fun drive; Nissiana was in on the LV-LA-Napa leg of that.

Then I moved from Houston to Pittsburgh. That drive went something like Houston-Nacogdoches-Hot Springs (stayed there for three days visiting family)-Cape Girardeau (for a week, gaming with college buddies)-Pittsburgh. Cape to Pgh was a loong haul, especially those boring parts between Illinois and West Virginia. That trip was especially fun, since my hood was bouncing off a crumpled front end on the way to Hot Springs, and my dad's old mechanic fixed the problem by looping a chain around a pole, hooking both ends to the front end, and backing the car up. Popped everything back into shape, sure, but I thought my car was gonna fall apart the whole way to Pgh.

The Cape Girardeau-to-Nacogdoches trip almost always involved gaming on either end.

For a while, we did a half-hour drive to a gamiing group every week, but that kinda died off.

I frequently drove from Houston to Austin, San Antonio, and Oklahoma City when I lived in TX...had I known about Reaper at the time, I would have driven to the Asylum pretty frequently, I bet.

kristof65 said:
Anyway, that got me to wondering - growing up, how far away from home did you travel on a regular basis? How far do you commute to work? How often do you drive farther than that? What's the furthest distance you would drive to browse around a game store for an hour?

Edited by Angela Landt

I did the 1000 mile drive between home and RCon (Northside of Chicagoland to Denton is about 14 hours of driving) in a single shot this year. If I have a reason to go somewhere, a long drive doesn't stop me (but a bigger herd of Kamikaze Venison might).

Back when Napoleon's was still open, there were a group of us who'd drive from Chicagoland up to Milwaukee (70-90 mile drive depending on where we left from). We'd look around Nappy's for a while, then go down the street to Kopp's for burgers and frozen custard. From there we'd go to another Milwaukee-area game store (Games Universe). It wasn't uncommon to then hit Games Plus on the way home.

In fact, I'll be heading out to Milwaukee this afternoon to catch a couple of bands at Summerfest tonight.

Does Guam Count?

Seriously though I am from Texas. My Mom's side is in Washington state, my Dads is in Ohio and New England. I am quite used to long drives. For my honey moon We Drove from San Antonio, TX To Nashville, TN to Columbus, OH To Cleveland, OH and then on to Milwaukee, WI. When I was living in San Antonio my drive to work was 13 miles each way, but on average a 2 hour drive. Were I live now I put 42 miles on my car a Day round trip from work to home only, Driving about 45 Minutes each way. The nearest Game store is about the same distance as it is to my work (Games Universe Milwaukee, WI.) My Favorite Game stores before they closed where and Hour and 15 minutes one way. My Husband and I would regularly drive to Chicago for shopping and dineing, and we also drive to Gen Con Every year. (About a 6 to 8 hour drive depending on stops.... and who's driving.) So Too Far to Drive = When Flight + extra time at destination for two costs less than Gas + Lodging + food + other traveling expenses.