Sign in to follow this  
rgtriplec

Model of the Week

So, do you like the new version? The stats are the same pretty much, but have an extra track. They still have disable/distract. They lost Tough but gained improved charge and Raider.

They are much easier to field now with the new lower price.

Overall I like them better, but miss having Small and Garr as a leader of the dogs.

I happen to enjoy them in small groups. Just a couple can really give an edge to Gerard or some Lancers.

I too miss the pack of Dogs with Garr as a Unique Sgt.

Seeing other Models with Distract (I mean Disable :lol:) losing their Adept status does make me a bit jealous however, especially the Hunting Cats.

There are 6 Soldiers with Disable:

Daughters of the Whip - Become Grunts in Khardullis sublist, and don't count towards Adept totals when fielded in Marquise's troop in the Default List.

Mancatchers - Always Adept.

Hunting Cat - Become Grunts in both the Default List and the Woodlands Protector Sublist

Raptors - Always Adept.

Chain Gang - Don't count towards Adept totals when fielded in Razig's troop.

War Dogs - Don't count towards Adept totals when fielded in Gerard's troop.

Looking at it like this though, I guess the Dogs don't have it so bad.

I didnt realize those cats became grunts in both lists. They will be pretty tough customers.

But, this thread is about the dogs.

I think that since the LOS rules did not change it helps the dogs. It makes it at least possible to hide them behind other models as you move up, then you can spring them out and charge with their long moves. Their price is great cause you can have a few without really denting your point count.

They wont last all that long once they get ito combat, but they should be very affective for the time they are on the field.

I think that since the LOS rules did not change it helps the dogs. It makes it at least possible to hide them behind other models as you move up, then you can spring them out and charge with their long moves. Their price is great cause you can have a few without really denting your point count.

The LOS reverted back to using the size of a Model's base instead of Eye Level and Ground Level. This hurts the Dogs significantly on their Cavalry bases. In previous incarnations they had Small, and were treated as a Size 1 Model, so they could hide behind your Knights and Justicars. Now, Small does not exist.

Because of their Cavalry base, they can only hide behind Models that are on other Cavalry bases, Large, Giant or Super sized bases. So, they could hide behind Lancers (and their respective Elites and Leaders), Celestial Lion, Guardian Angel, Hound of Judgement and Guardian Beast.

Hiding them behind Standard based Models is no longer a really viable option for the spring attack because they will get shot, and with their low DV and few tracks, they really lack the ability to withstand any sort of Ranged barrage.

And unfortunately, if you do pair them with either version of the Lancers, you have to hold the Lancers back if you want the dogs to run with them since the Dogs have a Mov 8 w/ Imp Charge/4, while the Lancers have Mov 10 and 12 w/ Imp Charge/4.

The negatives aside, adding a few of them to troops with Lion's Lancers is a very potent combination, because if Shock fails, the Dogs can still nerf an opponent's ability to respond with Defensive Strikes. For only 25 points, you can stand to bring a couple and lose them to Defensive Strikes. It doesn't even matter if they successfully hit in Melee Combat. They just need to make the attack to be useful.

The LOS reverted back to using the size of a Model's base instead of Eye Level and Ground Level. This hurts the Dogs significantly on their Cavalry bases. In previous incarnations they had Small, and were treated as a Size 1 Model, so they could hide behind your Knights and Justicars. Now, Small does not exist.

Because of their Cavalry base, they can only hide behind Models that are on other Cavalry bases, Large, Giant or Super sized bases. So, they could hide behind Lancers (and their respective Elites and Leaders), Celestial Lion, Guardian Angel, Hound of Judgement and Guardian Beast.

Hiding them behind Standard based Models is no longer a really viable option for the spring attack because they will get shot, and with their low DV and few tracks, they really lack the ability to withstand any sort of Ranged barrage.

And unfortunately, if you do pair them with either version of the Lancers, you have to hold the Lancers back if you want the dogs to run with them since the Dogs have a Mov 8 w/ Imp Charge/4, while the Lancers have Mov 10 and 12 w/ Imp Charge/4.

The negatives aside, adding a few of them to troops with Lion's Lancers is a very potent combination, because if Shock fails, the Dogs can still nerf an opponent's ability to respond with Defensive Strikes. For only 25 points, you can stand to bring a couple and lose them to Defensive Strikes. It doesn't even matter if they successfully hit in Melee Combat. They just need to make the attack to be useful.

Exactly. That is why I had mentioned Small in my post.

Not having it really hurts models that are supposed to be small. I doubt anyone who plays dingo or Goblins imagines that they are 5' tall, which is how tall they are to scale. They figure they are 2 or 3 feet tall and should get the benifits of it. Lack of Small is one thing about the revision I really, really don't like.

But keeping the dogs behind the lancers makes an efficient clean up crew even if you give the lancers their head. Maybe They will bring back Garr's Sgt SA in the future. One can be left to hope.