Spell s

With all the new data cards the increased the number of hits on most characters it seems as if it affects magic effectiveness. A spell that did 1 damage track could on average half kill most creatures now is much less damaging. Spells in general cost alot before and now the cost is the same much produce less in relationship to the target character.

Is it possible I missed an update on this topic. What it seems like spell casters that are offensive will not be used on most occassions.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the new data cards the increased the number of hits on most characters it seems as if it affects magic effectiveness. A spell that did 1 damage track could on average half kill most creatures now is much less damaging. Spells in general cost alot before and now the cost is the same much produce less in relationship to the target character.

Is it possible I missed an update on this topic. What it seems like spell casters that are offensive will not be used on most occassions.

It's true you can't take out an entire troop of grunts with a Firestorm now, but mages are a little more powerful as are spells, and spells are cheaper. In the old game maybe I'd take Margara, 3 Firestorms and GME, GMW... it would be 350 points.

Now I can take both Dwarf mages with upgrades and 3 Firestorms each for about 400 and Margara now takes 5 wounds to kill vs 3 and has a higher base CP.

I go back and forth on this topic as the spells did get cheaper, but their afectiveness also went down too. A firestorm used to be able to wipe out a troop, now it can only singe them a little. Some spells got nastier against single targets, but most of of the time, the targets that you would want to use them on also raised their MDs to the point where the spells are still 50/50 to be successful. And since most all archers have a range longer than spells now, it is also less likely that they will get to use their spells.

But, when those nastier spells do hit, they are very affective I am not sure I would want them to be any easier to get off.

So, again I go back and forth on my opinions of it.

The AOE damage spells are no longer troop killers like they used to be, since most Soldiers had a single track, however they do continue to work very well as a means to soften up a target before you engage in Melee or Ranged combat. These are good for your mid level Mages because you'll likely have it effective against some of your targets, and you're probably going to use a lot of the mid level talent to carry a few inexpensive Counterspells. Just hope there isn't a Level 2 Mage with a Counterspell w/in 6 inches of the center of your AOE.

The new multiple point damage spells have become truly brutal, especially in the hands of some of the elite casters, especially if they go the extra mile for the Improved Familiar. But, to counter that, start travelling with some piddling Mages with a couple of Counterspells.

I remember the absolute horror I felt when Ashkrypt one-shot my Hound of Judgement with an Ice Storm. I was ticked because I just had my 100+ point Model hosed by a 30 point spell. But in this new version of WL, the cost of Magic has been moved into the Mage, not the spells. So if you take into account Ashkrypt's point value, yeah, it made more sense and although still smarting, was less horrifying.

AOE spells are also a nice way to help clear out an area infested with those annoying wounded Enemy models. Did you just send in a troop of your boys to kill off a troop, and most of them were successful, but got hosed in Defensive Strikes? Lob that Fireball to finish off the enemy and raise a tankard in memory of your boys' sacrifices.

It's just a chance in thinking. Now the single shot spell is more dangerous, which should really be the case. If you are targetting all your Arcane Might at a single place, you'd expect it to have a bit more oomph than if you were using the equivalent of an Arcane shotgun.

Qwyk, I believe it is within 6 inches of the AOE, not 6 inches of the center point. I remember someone asking about that in an earlier post and that being the response (unless the new wording clears it up, I have not read that section in the finalized rules yet).

Qwyk, I believe it is within 6 inches of the AOE, not 6 inches of the center point. I remember someone asking about that in an earlier post and that being the response (unless the new wording clears it up, I have not read that section in the finalized rules yet).

No, you're correct, I am remembering legacy text from testing. I just went to double check.

I think it's easy to over-react to the fact that 1 damage spells don't kill things outright anymore, and in the middle of that over-reaction it's extra easy to pass off what one point of damage is worth in the game.

I can't even count how many times I've read this sentence one the boards: "It's only one damage, so who cares?" It's been said about getting only one hit in melee, about spells, about ranged attacks...

And the argument is that after one damage, most models don't suffer a significant stat degradation.

However.

In a typical battle against more or less equivalent models (so, discount when a Shieldmaiden goes head to head with a Skeletal Swordsman, and think more along the lines of Templar Knight versus Retpus Warrior), it generally goes hit for hit until one of the models dies. So if you can light off a firestorm onto the enemy troop, you're ahead of the game before you start swinging your weapons, and you've got a far greater chance of comming out on top with living models.

I'm going to borrow a term from when I used to play clicky type games from wizkids. I know I know, I'm ashamed of it, but... can't change the past, and there WAS a time when they weren't completely dumb. I digress.

In those games you tried to control "tempo" and that's the term I want to borrow/modify. In those games, you controlled tempo if you got to attack and deal damage first. You did this by forcing them to come to you (usually with ranged attackers, but that's a digression as well). Warlord has Tempo too, even though it works differently because there are some key game mechanic differences. But having tempo means you are the one controlling the pace of the engagement, and in most cases it means you win the engagement. I'd like to suggest that in Warlord, dropping a "piddly one damage" on most of an enemy troop gives you tempo of sorts. It means that the enemy attacks from a position of weakness. They're not in top form, some of them are more vulnerable to attack. They can't present a clean line of soldiers giving you NO good options - their line of soldiers has some weaknesses that you can exploit, break up their line by killing a few first, then crush the remainder as their line breaks down and their ability to fight as a unit degrades.

whew. lots of writing.

Anyway all of that happened because you dropped a firestorm and did one damage to most models in the enemy troop.

Chain Lightning is also a wonderful spell!

Oh and don't forget that after the turn that you cast your aoe, if you've protected your mage, you can fall back after casting again, and for most 3 track models that means that the model is on death's door! Good for you, bad for them.