Sign in to follow this  
Jerry Trapspringer

'gottahaveable' paints...

I'm thinking about placing an order for some Reaper paints, I think it was Annie that recommended 'Linen' and I was wondering if there are any other paints in the Reaper line that are 'gottahaveable' (as the Diamond Rio song goes) that anyone would recommend me pick up (of course other than the standard, white, black, red, blue, etc, etc).

I've really liked the Vallejo paints too, so if anyone has anything there they would recommend I'd be love to know as well...

I echo Walnut (best color ever) and suggest Oiled Leather, Fairy Blush, and Gloss Black.

Oh, and Pewter is my fav metallic.

cbs :upside:

(best suggestion, if wallet allows, get 'em all)

My favs:

Walnut

Linen White

Oiled Leather

Night Sky

Slate

Dragon Blue

Maroon

Bright Red

Desert Gold

Aged Red Brick

Burnt Orange

Shield Brown (for a basecoat on bone)

Copper and Gunmetal for Metallics

Troll Flesh and Gnoll Flesh and Olive for Icky Greens  :)

--Anne

I really like my Pewter and Copper metallics.

I really can't do without my Black Ink.  I also use the Flesh Shading Ink and Wood Shading Ink alot too-and not just for flesh and wood. :cool:

Thanks everyone!  I may end up having to buy them all  :oo:

For years I've been using the same military paints of figures, but there's only so much you can do with 57 shades of brown and 234 of green  :D

Please keep 'em coming, anyone want to recommend any inks other than the two Flit pointed out? Or any of the silks and satins?

I'll probably grab a few more that strike my fancy as well...

:unclesam:       :unclesam:       :unclesam:

the silks & satins are translucent, so I'd consider what you paint most before grabbing these.

I have them all.  I use the cornflower(blue), pearl white and conch pink the most.

I have a bottle of Ruby Red Ink that has gone bad, it is now a rusty water color, like if you leave nails in a coffee can in the rain for too long color.  It is not what it is supposed to be, but I use it a lot, undead & dragons the most.

cbs :upside:

Being a newbie painter, I can't add much, but sapphire blue ink makes the nicest looking enameled looking armour... :)

It seems like everytime I get new paints I think "wow! This color is awesome! How'd I paint w/o it?"  :oo:

I'm slowly switching to The Big V paints, I think they're nicer, don't dry out like the others do and I don't have to  pick up little dots of paint with a toothpick one drop at a time to get the amount I want.

Smoke is a good dark ink (Like Reaper's Wood shading ink, but more dense)

Cork Brown

Basic Flesh (This mixed w/ Cork Brown is my standard flesh color)

I like their bronze metallic (the acrylic one, not the alcohol based one)

SS Came Brown-Black (Quite possibly the longest color name in paints and a really nifty color to boot.  A very dark brown)

BTW, they seem a little more expensive (around $3.00 US a bottle) but the bottles are 17ml where the GW pots (which are horrible, no one likes them) are 12ml and not much cheaper.  Plus the paint dries out MUCH faster in the GW pots.  I have some Blood Red that is nearly all gone after maybe 2 weeks of owing it.  I was stirring it with a toothpick and fished out a HUGE glob of paint.  BAM, almost all the content gone.

When you say big V .  I am assuming but not sure if you are meaning Valejo. Although I like Valejo, The dripper actually does get clogged. And it is a super pain to try and remedy.  The GW paint is blech. Just like you said. The reaper and partha paints (in my opinion) have it right. As long as you don't use the pot to scrape the paint of your brush, then you don't have to worry about them getting all yucky (for lack of a better word).  If you are just picking up a few paints, just try and make sure you have all of the primary colors (reds yellows, blues), pick up some flesh that you like. Silver and Bronze. Black and White. and last but not least a flesh ink, and a black ink.  With those you should be able to make any color you need, and be well on your way!

I really like the Vallejo Game colors and use them almost exsclusively. I have had no problems with the bottles clogging up, unlike the GW pots were it would take two men and a small boy to open sometimes. :) I also had trouble with their paint drying up fast. Reaper Walnut is a must have though for a nice dark brown, I just need to get a squeeze bottle to transfer the paint into.

Decado

Ick, I'll agree - the GW paint is ok I suppose but I hate the bottles. I've never used any of the paint actually but have a few of their inks. Somehow the bottle seems to be the worst I've ever seen for getting stuck on, and the design of the bottle makes it hard to grip scaring me that when I pulling and tugging at it the top will suddenly give and send the bottle whirling across the room spewing paint everywhere. I suppose I could decant it into an old empty bottle but I'd rather just buy something I don't have to fool with.

I really like the Vallejo game colours but they offer such a large selection I end up bewildered. The massive amount of pigment in the paint is nice, you can thin it way out and still it covers. I've never had much trouble with the spouts, it seems that only the very tip gets clogged, I poke it with a toothpick and they've always cleared up. I'd be interested in picking up more Vallejo it's just that as I said, the selection seems almost too large. And since most people use Reaper paint here, if someone says they're using such-and-such on a figure it's good to be able to just pick up that paint rather than rooting around for something simular.

:unclesam:

Right now I have like half of the Pro Paints. What to recommend besides the "standard" colors... Black Ink Wash for your metals, and copper is very nice. I use Hill Giant Brown as a base coat for flesh, Flesh Shade Ink for some detail and I layer Hill Giant Brown and Caucasian to finish it off. Of course I'm referring to light colored ethnic people. For dark colored ethnic people, I use Chesnut Brown as a base coat for flesh, Flesh Shade Ink for some detail and I layer Chesnut Brown, Oiled Leather, and sometimes Wodland Brown to finish it off. I think Ivory is great for bone. Hope this helps open up some possibilities.

EDIT: Also, I think Desert Gold make a good base coat for blond hair.

My Ex-Bf had reaper paints and this is what he ahd in his reperatoire

Dragon black

Dragon red

Dragon white

Metallic silver

Metallic gold

Steel plate

Fair maiden

Orc flesh

Elf flesh

Chestmut brown

Walnut brown

Blue

purple

Elven green

(Sorry I cannot remember the exact names)