Sign in to follow this  
Easy E

Easy E learns to sculpt

I now provide for your amusement, the Hunchback of Notre Dame get's married...

dsc07823et9.th.jpg

Sadly, it wasn't intentional. Any ideas on how it can be saved?

When I met my "wife" I was dressed as quasimodo (it was a Halloweeen party) so I would buy one just for that if wwe where to get married. Unfortunately we're not. We both do not believe in marriage.

I've avoided commenting because I didn't want this to become just a dialogue between you and me :poke:

(Why aint other people commenting huh!?)

I think you're showing steady improvement with each new sculpt. Love the robot. Can't comment much on the spaceships as machines are really NOT my area. Perhaps a bit of hardsculpting (scraping and sanding) could be useful to get them more mechanical looking?

Here's a mess of scavenger aircraft. Lt. Barry for scale purposes only.

dsc08197jp7.th.jpg

dsc08199zw0.th.jpg

dsc08203ba3.th.jpg

dsc08204zb8.th.jpg

My poor sculpting abilities makes pretty decent ramshackle vehicles. It took me about 6 hours to complete all 10. Now that I know the tricks, I think I could produce one in 30 minutes flat.

The hardest part is coming up with the design. On a lot of these I just started going with no clear picture of the outcome. In the future, I will try to plan my work a bit better. I should also make use of a file after I have baked the clay. That way I could get better defined edges.

Comments?

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, so maybe I say something dum. BUt about your aircrafts:

Easy E, would it be useful for you to use plastic cartonage for the wings? I'm still only converting models to get a basic feel for modelling (so I do not have to much to think about scale, since I've got the references on and beneath the models) but found it easier to change everything plane to plastic cartonage.

Also, plastic and metal sticks seem to be useful for guns.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but seems fitting here: If thick enough, may it be a good idea to make blades out of plastic cartonage? As long as they only have easy outlines (no barb hooks), I'm sure this could things make easier.

Genreally for your work, I much admire your progress!

Honestly,

lune

@Lune- What you are saying is completely correct and true. I would strongly recommend using plasticard or cereal packet for straight and flat surfaces. Also, Plasticard is the way to make blades and weapons (along with other found materials) rather than trying to sculpt them.

Hm... I need to get me some plasticard. Does anyone know where to look?

Also, there are some methods to making putty edges look smoother, less cartoony and more manufactured. I often use a file or a dremel tool to smooth out the surfaces and give those sharp edges that a spaceship needs.

Keep on truckin'

@Lune- What you are saying is completely correct and true. I would strongly recommend using plasticard or cereal packet for straight and flat surfaces. Also, Plasticard is the way to make blades and weapons (along with other found materials) rather than trying to sculpt them.

As long as you don't intend to spincast the figure plasticard is fine. Won't hold up for casting though which is the reason most sculptors sculpt the weapons anyway.

Sculpting weapons aint all that hard. Just slightly boring. Thing to remember is:

1. Use a HARDcuring putty (Brown stuff, milliput, magic sculp, fixit sculpt are examples of those)

2. Do MOST of the work by scraping, cutting and sanding once the basic shape has been fully cured (often referred to as "hardsculpting").

3. Use an armature (a thin straight wire for a sword for instance)

SOFTsculpting weapons/mechanical parts though is pretty tricky

Here's something I did recently. I don't think the pictures really do much for it but...

dsc08601sq8.th.jpg

it proves I'm still sculpting. It is part of a painting challenge for my local club. Part of the contest was to use a provided bag of bits to make your model. Since I don't have a chance to win best painted, I thought I better sculpt something unique for Best Converted. I have found that Super Sculpey is my new favorite sculpting medium for figures.

I also put this together in my quest to create a 1:300 scale scavenger aircraft.

dsc08492zr9.th.jpg

Super sculpey is a really old friend of mine, one of my first materials. Just after cernit in fact. ::):

Very brittle though and won't hold up for spincasting. Also it's pretty hard to take pictures of due to the colour. I have trouble making the details of the super sculpey parts out I'm afraid so find it fifficult to comment on the conversion.

Long time no post-

Here are some dangerous sea creatures I tried sculpting for a naval based game.

AQBatReps013.jpg

Also, here is a 54mm scale sculpt I was working on for a contest. i didn't make the deadline, so he is still unfinished.

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg