Checkerboarded Knight

Tomorrow maybe I can get on with the highlights and shading... maybe..

Tonight however... the camera was cruel and pointed out that my metallics got in a deep fold that'll be a right pain to clean up. So I intend to sulk :poke:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a mini I just started take a header of my table... nearly broke at the legs (it looked like a ski jumper)... I bent it back - but now I have to fix it somehow - as the metal is 'crushed' away from the fold area(if ya know what I mean)... and I can tell that if I stare at it hard enough it will break.

I intend to quit for the night!

(Coming along nicely BTW)

HATE when the metallics make a run for it- I try to put them on pretty much DEAD last just cos they make such a mess.

Looks totally fine so far- I thought I'd painted all the checkerboards I'd ever need, but now you got me thinkin again- for some reason I never did anything past red and black, but that combo you're using is SWEEEET and inspiring

Versutus- maybe drop a bead of thin superglue in the crack to solid it up??

HATE when the metallics make a run for it- I try to put them on pretty much DEAD last just cos they make such a mess.

Looks totally fine so far- I thought I'd painted all the checkerboards I'd ever need, but now you got me thinkin again- for some reason I never did anything past red and black, but that combo you're using is SWEEEET and inspiring

Versutus- maybe drop a bead of thin superglue in the crack to solid it up??

I've tried superglue on cracks in my minis, it doesn't work.

I've had success using the Loctite two part metal epoxy, I kinda glob it on, then when it is fully cured I sand it back to shape.

You may be successful even with the unholy bond of green stuff and superglue.

I think I will try greenstuff to fill the gap - and then base the mini in such a way that it will no longer be subjected to such trauma...

OR

I could just use it as a practice mini and start on another... Lets see... $5.00 for a new mini - or an hour trying to correct this problem... How much is my time actually worth?

I'd spend the $5.00 on a new mini, but I buy duplicates after an incident where I kinda clipped some straps I shouldn't have thinking it was flashing.

Anyway.. HeroClix players due to start arriving soon, so I'm wrapping up painting for the day and here's the progress thus far:

update_7-19.JPG

What's been done:

I've started highlighting the individual 'squares' that get hit hardest by direct overhead light staging up from a 3:1 mix of GW Blood Red and Red Gore for the red squares and straight GW Sunburst Yellow for the yellow squares. The next highlight color for the red was just adding two drops of Blood Red to the 3:1 mix, while the yellow got a drop of GW Bad Moon Yellow (for a 3:1 ratio). The final highlights I've done today were a 5:1 mix of GW Blood Red and RMS Pure White and I probably won't go much higher on the red because I don't want it to turn pink or orange which is what will happen if I try to step it up anymore. The last yellow highlights for today ended up at Bad Moon Yellow and Linen White (5:1 ratio).

The challenge of highlighting this guy so far has been trying to ignore the yellow so that I could focus on the red highlights needed. It's the same when I go completely insane and do diamond patterns, the bright over powers the dark.

Oh... the dark lining on the twist of fabric on the helm was my Yellow Muck mix (if I remember it's GW Golden Yellow with Kommando Khaki and a touch of Scorched Brown), any dried-mustardy yellow would work too.

So... how's he lookin'?

D'oh! I forgot to mention the dirt... More of a dirt-stained look than splattered actually. I used some thinned down VGC Smokey Ink to dirty him up a little since I was already using it to tone down the gold metallic a little. It also rusted his boots a little, which I'm not sure if I like or not.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Did I make sense at all?

I've got a much simpler (but not neccessarily effective) method for painting checked areas. Got it from a painting article in an old issue of White Dwarf (and by old I mean from before the 90's, but it still works wonders).

Pick colour 1 (usualy the dark colour). Paint thick vertical stripes on your area (following/obeying the folds in the cloth if it's not smooth). Next paint in the horizontal rows across it so what you've got is similar to giant tartan. Next repaint the squares where these broad rows overlap white (or whatever colour your undercoat is). Now you're free to paint in your second colour. Then merely touch up the first colour as needed and you're finished.

It might not look quite as nice but it certrainly is a lot less work :).

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Did I make sense at all?

I've got a much simpler (but not neccessarily effective) method for painting checked areas. Got it from a painting article in an old issue of White Dwarf (and by old I mean from before the 90's, but it still works wonders).

Pick colour 1 (usualy the dark colour). Paint thick vertical stripes on your area (following/obeying the folds in the cloth if it's not smooth). Next paint in the horizontal rows across it so what you've got is similar to giant tartan. Next repaint the squares where these broad rows overlap white (or whatever colour your undercoat is). Now you're free to paint in your second colour. Then merely touch up the first colour as needed and you're finished.

It might not look quite as nice but it certrainly is a lot less work :).

Might have to try this technique if I need to paint an entire army unit with checkers. This knight's double (the WiP knight is a spare) is a display piece, so worth the extra time to me.

If anyone's doing Warhammer Fantasy Brenntonian Knights it would definitely be a better method to use to get squares done quick.

Whoa, the colors are awesome.

I love the flame on the robe.

Now you've got at least 3 minis that I'm dying to see taken to their finished state.

You're supposed to finish 'em!? That's not on the blister packs!

Well... last update before fleeing into the darkness to hide from unfinished minis:

102_0447_1.JPG

Last WIP hijacking... promise, this guy is headed towards being the first completed mini provided the Evil Ones lemme have his arm. Not much left other than clean-up, eyes, and final highlights which I'll do after I locate, prime, and attach his shield arm. He's been fun...

d_elf_7-25.JPG