civilized orcs?

Shadowdragon

I've been scouring the net trying to find a decent range of 28-30mm minis to use as more civilized and organized orcs, rather than the no armour, crude weapons, idiot savages that most companies make their orc miniatures out to be. I'm looking for something more like the Nothrog from the Warlord ccg, or the hobgoblins from D&D. At the moment I'm using the hobgoblin miniatures that are in the D&D Miniatures game, but there aren't that many, and as pre-painted plastic minis they don't look all that great (good for minions, not so good for characters and villains). Reaper does have a few miniatures that are good (some half-orcs and the hobgoblin fighters trio) but again there isn't much choice. I even looked at the GW Uruk-Hai but again there isn't much choice and they're too small. I need a good source of warriors, rogues, wizards, priests, soldiers, archers, brigands, etc. It would be great if Reaper could start doing more civilized orc/hobgoblin type miniatures, maybe make them a subfaction for the Revan or something. Until that happens, is there a line of miniatures out there that would make good civilized orcs/hobgoblins, or even a similar race that would make a good replacement for orcs?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been scouring the net trying to find a decent range of 28-30mm minis to use as more civilized and organized orcs, rather than the no armour, crude weapons, idiot savages that most companies make their orc miniatures out to be. I'm looking for something more like the Nothrog from the Warlord ccg, or the hobgoblins from D&D. At the moment I'm using the hobgoblin miniatures that are in the D&D Miniatures game, but there aren't that many, and as pre-painted plastic minis they don't look all that great (good for minions, not so good for characters and villains). Reaper does have a few miniatures that are good (some half-orcs and the hobgoblin fighters trio) but again there isn't much choice. I even looked at the GW Uruk-Hai but again there isn't much choice and they're too small. I need a good source of warriors, rogues, wizards, priests, soldiers, archers, brigands, etc. It would be great if Reaper could start doing more civilized orc/hobgoblin type miniatures, maybe make them a subfaction for the Revan or something. Until that happens, is there a line of miniatures out there that would make good civilized orcs/hobgoblins, or even a similar race that would make a good replacement for orcs?

As loath as I am to say it, GW does make Uruk-Hi for their Lotr line....

Some of our half orcs are about at civilzed as the humans. They could work in a pinch.

from my OP: Reaper does have a few miniatures that are good (some half-orcs and the hobgoblin fighters trio) but again there isn't much choice.

As loath as I am to say it, GW does make Uruk-Hi for their Lotr line....

from my OP: I even looked at the GW Uruk-Hai but again there isn't much choice and they're too small.

I already tried looking at those. I guess my OP was a bit long or something :)

The old Orc line for Chronopia had a pretty Arabian feel to them.

Thunderbolt Mountain appears to make goblins which might fit the bill, though I cannot vouch for size or appearance.

IMO the Thunderbolt Mountain Goblins are by far the best looking goblins out there and they are cheap. But they are goblins and not orks and don't seem like a civilized group.

I personally think the Warlord Orcs are about as civil looking as an orc gets. They are quite the refined group compaired to the DHL army packs. They have regular weapons and many have armor of some type.

I think you are wanting something like this http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02946

but no one makes a line that is that civilized that I've ever seen.

Yea, that Neroli is like what I'm looking for. It's too bad there are so few miniatures like that out there. I guess I'll just have to use the few half-orcs and hobgoblins that show up in the reaper and D&D Miniatures lines. Or maybe find a line of miniatures for a similar race I can use instead of civilized orcs.

I *believe* it is foundry who makes orks in renaissance gear (slash and puff, arquebusiers etc..). (They call them ogres)

You might have to first select your region -

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/ORC/1/index.asp

Edit:

Alternative Armies makes napoleonic orcs for their Flintloque and Slaughterloo lines.

http://www.alternative-armies.com/caaa464.htm

http://www.alternative-armies.com/caaa465.htm

I've got a few of their figures, and they are kinda cute - the paintjobs on the site are rough.

Edited by SaintRigger

http://www.princeaugust.ie/target_games/in...blackblood.html

Prince August sells the Chronopia Blackbloods (ogres, orcs and goblins).

They are only selling old stock, not making new figs though.

Does Prince August ever plan on making new figs for chronopia, or is the game officially dead? The blackblood orcs look very good, even if they are a bit too arabian for a western european fantasy campaign. I wonder how well they'd mix with reaper half-orcs and DDM hobgoblins.

Hey Shadowdragon.

Check out the Reaper Warlord line's Noghra (Goblins). The backstory on those little geeks is that they loot and keep for themselves any human clothing and weaponry they can get their little hands on. Apparently they are human-wannabes.

Gragg version 2 is a right dapper chap too, though not quite so suave as Gragg version 1. :wub: Still, he has a cool suit of armour.

Neroli is a fantastic choice for a character. She's a nice girl she is. TOO nice in the opinion of some of her less refined greenskin suitors.

how did I know, a post calling out for orcs, Spike would be in on this one ::P:

there is a few Out of Production Orcs that could pass for humans, they wore normal armors (like chain, etc), not sure why they went into OoP, they were pretty good looking.

might check the boneyard section for them.

RM

Go to the older Reaper Fantasy Fig Finder and select race = ORCS.

Some of the models marked as out of production can still be found in the Asylum Boneyard. You can get the model's number to aid you in your search.

The Sandra Garrity orc champion seems like one you might like. She sculpts her orcs a bit less muscly and tusky than the Warlord orcs. Some even can pass as hafforc.

Several of the discontinued Reaper orcs look like they'd fit with the newer half-orcs. Hopefully Reaper continues to release half-orcs for both Dark Heaven and Revan. Maybe Sandra Garrity can do more orcs that look like the now-discontinued ones? Although there should be enough orcs and half-orcs to use as warrions, there still aren't a lot that can be used as rogues and spellcasters.