civilized orcs?

Shadowdragon

Chronopia had the coolest, most imaginative spin on Orcs out there. The game and models may not be in production, but many of us are playing. If you're looking for a civilized culture for Orcs, with discipline, ambition, science, and an Empire, you'll have to check out Chronopia. Reaper could easily crank out proxies not based on Adrian Smith's art for those of us playing, and just put them in their DHL line. I'm sure they would appeal to their fan base and the die hard Chronopia fans, without stirring up any kind of litigious hornet nest.

I've seen more Reaper proxies on Chronopia tables (many converted, some not) than anyone else's.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chronopia...the only large-output line for civilized orcage...

funny thing is as to WHY we don't see civilized orcs...tolkien wrote them that way.

he invented the Orc, as he needed something other than goblins...he used goblins in The Hobbit, but wanted something different for LotR..i forgot why.

the original word Orc is a term for a tribesman from orkney, i do believe.

Tolkien needed a name for his newer scmoozling bloody coward race, so he coped that name, and decided they were the dark half of elves later on.

this has led to some odd instances in tolkienesque famntasy as things developed.

*the development of dark elves, as no one could get in in their heads that orcs and elves could ever be close relatives.

*the idea that orcs are stupid and ...well, if not stupid, faulted horribly

(until bred with something else, like, Gondor men)

* the idea that orcs would not ever be truly civilized and are stuck as tribish lackeys.

*loose ideas on what orc-hood actually means. they are Tolkien's dark Elves, but GW has them as a fungal race, Chronopia as a sort of proto-human offshoot (No, wait..they are lesser Ogres, right? yeah..that's it! ---EDIT), DnD treats them as greater golblins now, but they started as a sort of Pig-man... heck, i can't remember all the backstories...aren't they kind of an iffy race?

thus, very few civil orcs...save those better bred half orcs.

(racist)

i once joked to ugluk69 that i would paint up my own Reven forces in frenchie style attire, convert ribbons and ruffles onto the lot of them...you should have seen his face!

yeah, no truly civilized ORCS...

Chronopia orcs would have been good, if they were still being made, which I don't think they are. I think I'll just stick to half-orcs and hobgoblins, with whatever odd civilized orc I can find. I remember those pig-faced orcs. They looked something like this: http://www.otherworld.me.uk/store.html (see the bottom half of the page)

Honestly, Matsu! Why would orcs WANT to be that civilized?

It makes me sick to think of some poor orc complaining about the high cost of his condominium and how it has cut drastically into his psychotherapy budget. What's worse, who wants to see an orc wearing Abercrombie Fitch and Dockers? Not ME!

Orcs at the opera?

Better yet, ORcs on a Carnival cruise!

Incidentally, doesn't the word "orc" have some origin in some ancient language and that it once meant "demon"?

Orcs in the U.S. Senate? .. okay, maybe that's not such a stretch after all.

ORCS ON A PLANE!

Samuel L Jackson we NEED you!

Oh..and found this entry on etymonline.com

""ogre, devouring monster," O.E. orcþyrs, orcneas (pl.), perhaps from a Romanic source akin to ogre, and ult. from L. Orcus "Hell," a word of unknown origin. Revived by J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973) as the name of a brutal race in Middle Earth."

Honestly, Matsu! Why would orcs WANT to be that civilized?

Yeah, but if you read through some of the fluff text for Orcs in certain game systems, you wonder how they even figure out which end of the weapon is the sharp and pointy bit.

Just for once, I'd like for Orcs not to be the generic bad guys*, and see them portrayed as no better or worse than humans, and no less civilized (or at least not stuck in the barbarian phase when everyone around them is wearing plate armor).

* Okay, so they aren't in Chronopia or Leviathan, but you get the idea.

Just for once, I'd like for Orcs not to be the generic bad guys, and see them portrayed as no better or worse than humans, and no less civilized (or at least not stuck in the barbarian phase when everyone around them is wearing plate armor).

This is exactly what the orcs are going to be like in my rpg campaign. They'll still be more militaristic than the other races, but they wont automatically be the "bad guy savages". I just need to find a good line of miniatures I can use for characters, villains, and minions. Reaper and DDM have some minis that would work, but I don't know if they'll have enough.

Warlord orcs are neutral for the most part. The stories in the faction book (now out of production) portray them as more primative than humans without being a disorganized mob of unintelligent savages whose main fucntion is to smash things up. I like to think the Monglash orcs are very much like the Sieux or Lacota. They're capable of being reasoned with, but after so many years of being oppressed, they've decided to go on the offensive with their oppressors.