Master Series Maria Roseblade

• Reaper User
When you were working on the skin, you said, you might go back to it and adjust it later depending on how the rest of the colors are shaping up. When doing the hair you said you might add more white to the top of her head, and when doing the NMM, you said you might glaze it back down a bit again depending on the rest of the contrast on the mini. Did you go back to do any of that?

Heya Mengu! The skin I thought had gone a bit lighter than what I had originally envisioned, but when I got down to the rest of the piece I realized that I needed it lighter for the contrast overall, so left it (if I would have taken it darker again it wouldn't attract attention to Maria as successfully, lighter colors drawing the eye and all). I still would like to be able to go back and hit the hair with a few glaze-and-re-highlights, there are several spots I feel are iffy and I just didn't have the time to go back and fix 'em. The NMM got the Intense Brown glaze and the Saffron Sunset glaze, which took it down just enough. It could probably use another Saffron glaze, but I decided against the brown because it would have taken it closer to the pants color and I wanted the contrast more than I wanted to tone it down another notch. ::): If the colors for this model had been blues and greens, or muted rather than bright, I almost definately would have knocked it down with another glaze in the brown/orange direction.

--Anne ::):

p.s. the lip color was one drop Golden Shadow, one drop Tanned Shadow, and two drops Deep Red I believe!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

Heh, the pants ended up highly-reflective and though I like the effect on one side I'm out to lunch on whether I'm happy overall.

Meg, lining in person is a little uneven but not nearly as glaring as it seems on the screen--part of that is probably photo-angle. ::): That isn't saying that if she was for competition I wouldn't have another 20 to 30 hours of work to do (no, I am not exaggerating) to make her "perfect" but at this point it'll have to do! :lol:

Spot-on, Beowulf, when I chose my colors I remarked to a couple of Reaper peeps "they're either going to love the colors or they're absolutely going to hate 'em!" Pink is a suspect color popularity-wise in mini-painting and I'm not a fan myself, but sometimes it pays to get outside of your usual color-vibe. ::): Even now, though, I look at it and go, "Holy *bleep* that's a LOT of pink!!!" :lol:

--Anne ::D:

Maria_WIP64.jpg

I think she's beautiful (Even if pink is EVIL.) Though I did notice that it seems that you lost your lining on her eye to the flesh color. You can't tell it in the distance shots but it looks really glareing in the close up. Granted it could also be my Monitor or a reflection.

Heh, the pants ended up highly-reflective and though I like the effect on one side I'm out to lunch on whether I'm happy overall.

Meg, lining in person is a little uneven but not nearly as glaring as it seems on the screen--part of that is probably photo-angle. ::): That isn't saying that if she was for competition I wouldn't have another 20 to 30 hours of work to do (no, I am not exaggerating) to make her "perfect" but at this point it'll have to do! :lol:

Spot-on, Beowulf, when I chose my colors I remarked to a couple of Reaper peeps "they're either going to love the colors or they're absolutely going to hate 'em!" Pink is a suspect color popularity-wise in mini-painting and I'm not a fan myself, but sometimes it pays to get outside of your usual color-vibe. ::): Even now, though, I look at it and go, "Holy *bleep* that's a LOT of pink!!!" :lol:

:unsure: I saw the base coat and it reminded me of well.... Pepto Bismol.. Not a fan of pink, nope... no pink.

I do love the overall miniature tho, but if I get one... I think I'll go with lavender instead of pink for the bodice.

O-be-kay-be, here's my thoughts.

No question this is a remarkable, beautiful paint job. There is no question you are extremely talented at what you do.

That being said I do feel the pink and tuquoise are overpowering the model. The colors seem a little more suited to an Sinbad-esque setting, not so much pirate. I would have stuck with more "earthy" colors, but that is after all imho.

Still an amazing job Anne and a great WIP to read, please, feel free to come to CT when ever you want ::):

Well - for the time you put into this Anne (not including the photo breaks) I'd say this borders on supernatural. Regardless of odds and ends - this is a killer piece of work. Now speaking of the photo breaks - thanks again. I have compiled a list of the NMM images so I can scan through them to see your progression. Assuming you are okay with it - I can cobble something together (1 tall image) to throw into this WIP - it will save people scrolling through all of the posts across multiple pages.

Overall - I think the mini may be 'bright' - but it works for me. Good luck with GenCon.

As I commented to Bilesuck at the store I am not a fan of the bright pink. IMO that shade of pink is overwelming. That being said I think you did an incredible job. I am in awe and speachless.

Also with the way you shadded the pants are you trying to suggest a sheen?

Hey, keep me out of this :poke:

It is a great piece Anne, but that pink kills me every time. Almost looks like the old pink horror color. :huh: I remember staring at a unit of them for to long one day, I saw spots. ::D: I will have to have Beo steal the monkey/skull at Gen Con for me.

She better be there! She has classes to teach, and a few spots at the Demo Tables as well I think! Check the schedule at the Demo Table to see when she's scheduled in there, though remember that it's all subject to change. [Note to self, remember to print Demo Table Schedule...]

But Anne, I believe this piece will be at the booth, right? In the Exhibit Hall? I can't wait to see it in person!

• Reaper User

Will be at Gen Con, yes, both myself and the mini. ::): Unfortunately it looks like they are having some difficulties with the piece in casting, so she may not be available for purchase at the Con. ::(: But she will be on the Master Series/Special Edition shelf in the painted cases at our booth, so you can look-see. ::):

My demo schedule currently runs: Thursday 2-4 p.m., Friday 3:30 to 5 p.m., Saturday 2-4 p.m. at the Demo table. All times subject to change, as Sue says, though hopefully they won't wobble much! My hands-on Working With Color classes may still have a few openings as well--haven't checked lately. They run 10 to noon Thursday, Friday, Saturday. My basic Color Theory classes are all sold-out last I checked. ::):

Re Maria:

That bleed on the eye doesn't show up in person; could be a photographic artifact or only visible under magnification, since that pic is blown up to 8 to 10 times the model's actual size. ::):

As for the pink, dislike it all you like! :lol: I personally dislike the bird. Dang thing is huge, casts a big shadow over her face and front. If I ever paint this mini again, I'm taking the bird off her hand and putting it on a pillow or something else behind her. Even then, it's a problematic piece, because if you paint it bright and the rest of the piece isn't bright then it's all anyone will look at...we ought to have a parrot painting contest for all the people who will buy this figure and just decide to leave off the parrot!!