Sign in to follow this  
Brushmaster

Dealing with Flyers !

Well I finally beat Hellsgate's all flyer Reptus list the other day but boy I had to tool my army to face it . Using Overlords with several mages , kitted with Windblasts and Stuns , as well as some cavalry and a lot more initiative tokens , did the trick . Since the latest restrictions (Chronicles 2007) on shooting and magic , with regards to flyers , how are people dealing with these pests ? <_<

As an Elf player this is a great concern to me also. Here is my one game expirience vs reptus I used a centaur to harrass them so he either had to slow down to get the centaur or ignore it and keep on his objective the archers, he kept on coming. When he got too close my deathseekers and warriors surrounded the fragile archers so only one or two flyers could reach them it was all I could do but the archers still had LOS. Once the gits landed I beat them down before they could do in more than one archer not perfect but I won.

yall are writing as tho Reptus are the only faction with flyers now.

Even tho I like them, I can think of a lot of flyers that a lot more scary than the Gaan Hor warriors.

yall are writing as tho Reptus are the only faction with flyers now.

Even tho I like them, I can think of a lot of flyers that a lot more scary than the Gaan Hor warriors.

Not at all , I was just simply stating that I'd finally beaten Hellgate's . One of my other local opponent uses the Elve's Dragon and a bunch of Fairies (geez that doesn't sound right :lol: ) , but she is not as effective with her tactics , although the dragon can be quite scary . :blink:

The thing to remember (and be thankful about) is that Flyers still have to land to attack you, and if they want to resume being airborne, they cannot attack you that turn.

Expect that you will not be able to attack first. The Flyer will always have that advantage unless you can force them to land with a Wind Blast. Set up your troops to defend accordingly. Try to minimize the number of Models that can be attacked with a tight formation that can respond by surrounding the landed Flyers. Remember that AOE spells are not the Model killers they used to be, so don't fear the formation so much. Leave your troops close to each other so they can provide cover and support. As soon as an Enemy Flyer lands. Swarm.

Don't completely discount your Ranged combat.

Now that most Archers are no longer Adept, you don't have to worry about protecting an entire troop of Archers. Spread them out to reduce the risks. If your troops are close enough together, if the Flyer is close enough to attack one troop, there's a good chance they are close enough to be shot by another.

And, hope that Wind Blast at some time in the future gets a longer range so it could actually down a Flyer before it's already in range to hit your Casters. Every Flyer has at least a 12" charge. Most have 14-16" with their Improved Charge Modifiers. Or another more powerful version of Wind Blast made in the future, like Wind Storm that has a larger AOE or longer range. I'd love to see something with an 18/36" range, so I might actually be able to force a Flyer to land before they can get to me so I could actually do something about it. Rock Friends is much better in this regard, because although it also is limited to a 12" range, most Burrowers move much slower. Although there are a few that can still move in that 12" range with a charge.

And really, the Faction to fear with Flyers is the Darkspawn. Not only can they fly, they actually have a number of Spell Casters capable of casting Wind Blast in the air, so they can down your own Flyers with the improved range, and let their ground troops eat them up.

Edited by Qwyksilver

And really, the Faction to fear with Flyers is the Darkspawn. Not only can they fly, they actually have a number of Spell Casters capable of casting Wind Blast in the air, so they can down your own Flyers with the improved range, and let their ground troops eat them up.

Yes , thankfully the local players don't seem to know about them . :wacko:

They will now! :devil:

Rauthuros + 2 Ice Storm

Maugrathoth, Demon

Jhorxia, Succubus

5 Incubus Warrior

Musician

Maladom, Fire Demon

Guros, Baron of Whips + 2 Ice Blast + 2 Bolts

7 Demon Imps

Musician

Totals: 1,499 Points, 17 Models, 3 Troops, 3 Init Cards

:devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

They will now! :devil:

Rauthuros + 2 Ice Storm

Maugrathoth, Demon

Jhorxia, Succubus

5 Incubus Warrior

Musician

Maladom, Fire Demon

Guros, Baron of Whips + 2 Ice Blast + 2 Bolts

7 Demon Imps

Musician

Totals: 1,499 Points, 17 Models, 3 Troops, 3 Init Cards

You can't run without Ashakia, drop some things and get that 3rd flying mage in there. :)

Oh, you mean like this :devil::

Rauthuros + 2 Ice Storm + 2 Bolt

3 Incubus Warrior

Musician

Marilith

Guros + Greater Familiar + 2 Ice Blast + 2 Bolt

3 Goatman Daemon

Devourer of Mashaf

Ashakia + Greater Familiar + 2 Ice Blast + 1 Bolt

4 Demon Imps

Musician

Totals: 1,499 Points, 15 Models, 5 Troops, 5 Init Cards

How about :poke: ... Stay out of my air space.

Yes , thankfully the local players don't seem to know about them . :wacko:
I've noticed them... i just feel that i sould finish painting one arm before i start feeling for a second.

Try not having lone flyers out. With 3 attacks each 6 of my fliers make short work of them using swarm tactics. Infact try avoiding moving any model out further than you can get support to in a single round.