Gothic arches anyone?

Painfully

Now, usually, I check out my FLGS every week (sometimes twice a week), and I often pick up most of the new Reaper figs.  But today I saw, well, a gothic archway.

I just can't imagine putting this one on my battlemat.  An archway.  No doors. No fancy keystone at the peak of the arch.  No gargoyle.  Just an arch.  And the thing can barely stand up on its own.

I'm certain somebody can use this thing for their diarama, but for gamers, I cannot imagine anybody buying this one.

I would actually buy a pack of doors (but not windows), a portcullis (big one I hope), or even a battlement (cause that's what counts when you set up a tower on a battlemat anyway), but just plain arches don't make any sense to me.

So is anybody out there shopping for gothic arches?  And how are you using them?  Inquiring minds want to know.

----------edit

I love the yeti and the charon figs though.  A BOAT!  Finally, I get a boat!  Now if I could just get that boat super-sized to hold about 4-6 figs...hint, hint.  :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Monique standing in front of this archway is just a very cool picture. I would use them for such scenic bases. I was also thinking of using one as background for my pictures, you know it makes a great frame. Fact that it doesn't stand on its own doesn't really bother me much since I would invariably put it on a different base (as I do with many other miniatures who don't like to stand). It could be used to represent a magical gate or portal. It could be used as a star gate. It could be used as part of a ruins. It could be clipped to pieces and used as a fallen gate or archway in a diorama. It could be used as a scenic base to perch a gargoyle on. It could be sealed with a reflective sheet to represent a mirror. I know these may not be very original, but I'm sure there are many creative ideas for it as well.

Since I'm getting into the hobby of photographing my minis, I'll be buying the archway eventually. I just saw one at Diversions today. I know I said in another post that I'm leaving for the weekend. Wel, I'm where I was going to. I'm at the in-laws for the holiday.

Now, usually, I check out my FLGS every week (sometimes twice a week), and I often pick up most of the new Reaper figs.  But today I saw, well, a gothic archway.

I just can't imagine putting this one on my battlemat.  An archway.  No doors. No fancy keystone at the peak of the arch.  No gargoyle.  Just an arch.  And the thing can barely stand up on its own....So is anybody out there shopping for gothic arches?  And how are you using them?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I take it this is not a Reaper offering?  Who is the manufacturer?  Got a link to an image?

You could also use it as the classic "dimensional gate", like Mengu said, or you can use it to represent a door that's been opened already...

-zug

P.S: It looks so nice painted!

Well...archways are cool if you build your own wall around them..styrofoam is great at modelling blocks of stone and make them into a huge wall..Now you just have to make some details on the wall out of scrap and Bob's your uncle...

Did that make any sense?

Any sense at all? :D

Another use,  take the arch, scrounge up some broken columns, glue them to a base and you have a fallen shine or temple.  You could even use it in a Warlord game, so many victory poitns to whomever controls the shrine at the end of a fixed time period game.

-Caius