Question... thinking about learning Warlord

I've recently started painting minis and although I'm pretty terrible at it, it has made me think about playing a mini game like Warlords.

My question is this: I'm thinking about picking up the starter set (rulebook + 2 faction armies) but I'm confused with all this talk about how some rulesets are now obsolete and are replaced by the Rage Chronicles pdf files. Is this starter set really what I should start with, or is the information in the rulebook now obsolete?

That is to say: How should a new Warlords player get started and what sets are good to start with?

Also, anyone know of any places in SE Michigan where I might find a demo, or where players congregate?

Thanks!

-Hawksbill

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Core rules (how to play): are fine.

Army lists, special equipment, and spells are obsolete as well as a few other errata. This is covered in the Rage Chronicles pdf. This means the stats of every model in the game you can get for free. This'll help you decide in advance which army you want to collect.

That said, the Deluxe starter is still a good start. If you can find them, the regular starters are good additions. Find out which army tickles your fancy and go from there. I myself started out freelance (anything as long as you don't mix good and evil) and ended up with 5 full armies. The best part is that a roundabout 1500 point army would only run you around $100 to $120 depending on faction.

In retrospect, I would recommend Freelance to start. It allows you to indulge your "oh, shiny!" complex and get minis that you enjoy or think look good to build your army and then you can branch out with the minis you have.

As cristomeyers said, the core rules in the rulebook still apply. They cover things like the sequence of events, how to build forces, how to move, how to attack, and how to cast spells. The painting guide is also useful for newbies.

The deluxe starter with two forces (Necropolis and Crusaders) is a really good starting point if you like Necropolis (Undead) and Crusaders (Knights). Not quite as balanced as it used to be, but still a good starting point. If you pick up the deluxe starter and the Rage Chronicles, you'll be in good shape to learn.

If you prefer different forces (say Reven (Orcs/Goblins)), you're probably better off picking up the rules and a pair of the old starter sets (retailing for $40) if you can find the sets (now discontinued).

Best way to learn would be to find nearby players by either looking up the nearest Black Lightning team member or nearby players (using the Reaper Games player finder service, login required). If you do have players or a BL team member nearby, contact them and play a few games before picking up forces. They're quite likely to have a spare force that they can lend you while you play your first few games.

If you can make it to GenCon, there will be 4 days of Warlord events running... ::):

Ron

I am in the same boat as Hawksbill except that I have been painting minis for some time now. I have been wanting to play a miniature tabletop game but never really found one that interested me that much. I recently found out about Reaper and Warlord about 2-3 weeks ago at a LGS when I attended a painting class with Meg(fieldarchy). I am in Arizona and would like to find players willing to teach me how to play.

Thanks all for your help.

I'm in Southeast Michigan, in the suburbs of Detroit, but am willing to travel as far as Ann Arbor if there's anyone willing to show the ropes to a newb. I was hoping to find a store where they host tournaments, but everything around here seems to be pretty MtG or Warhammer focused. I played Magic competitively for about 5 years, but that was before we had kids. There's no way my wife would tolerate the cost/time associated with that again.

My friends and I play Euro style board games pretty obsessively, but we haven't ventured into mini gaming much due to the cost of games like Warhammer. I'm hoping that Warlords would be a lower cost alternative.

There is a game store nearby in Livonia who have regular Paint & Takes (but no game demos) which are advertised on Reaper's demo listing page, but I haven't gone to one yet. I should probably do that, just to meet folks, especially since I'm enjoying the painting aspect also.

I don't know enough about the factions to know which I prefer over the others, but maybe I'll get started with the delux starter set.

Thanks again!

-Hawksbill

My friends and I play Euro style board games pretty obsessively, but we haven't ventured into mini gaming much due to the cost of games like Warhammer. I'm hoping that Warlords would be a lower cost alternative.

One of the best things that lowers the cost of Warlord is this:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25000

We have a pretty liberal proxy policy. You can use any of your other Reaper minis as proxies for your non-unique Warlord minis, even in official tournaments. ^_^

I have to say balance is a big draw....

I am a gamer, Painting is nice and I am painting, but I can call a kettle black and say I am only getting better at painting..(Cause there is no where else to go)

A big point that swayed me to warlords and a little into CAV although mil-net is working on some issues there was the fact that the latest and greatest army is not the biggest hob-nobbed army throwing the whole system out of balance.

I am a new player: there are certain nuances I haven't picked up..but I have fun each time I play.

I STILL have fun each time I play, and I've been playing a long time..and not necessarily winning very many games. It's a fun game, and if you surround yourself with a good group of enthusiastic opponents, you will likely enjoy it even more.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice!

Someone mentioned that Crusaders vs. Necropolis (in the deluxe starter kit) aren't as balanced as they could be. Is this true? Could anyone advise on two factions that are more balanced?

I'll likely be playing mostly with my gaming friends and if I introduce an unbalanced game to them they aren't likely to embrace it.

Thanks again!

crusaders:

Ironraven + halbarad + 7 unforgiven = 341 points

necros:

Azarphan + naomi + 6 swordsmen = 290 points

once you add spells it could be about equal since naomi can bring more spells than halbarad.

I'd not worry about the balance since with spells and upgrades you'd be able to make balanced forces. The problem is that there are more minis in the deluxe starter than you can legally field with the captains that come in the box. Not really a problem since you'll be able to use the minis after you expand your army, but right out of the box you're lacking troop capacity to bring all the minis.